It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catherine Deneuve Says Men Should Be "Free To Hit On" Women

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

a reply to: MotherMayEye

When it comes to a 74 year old woman wanting guys to hit on her and suggesting that they should also keep at it, I do wonder at her mental competence, but not in a discriminatory way, just a questioning way.

I wonder if you give the same benefit of the doubt to others who make comments that could easily be viewed as discriminatory.

"That 74 year old black man makes a stupid argument that I disagree with. I wonder if he's educated?"

Would you give a person making that statement the benefit of the doubt you expect for yourself?

Not in this case, because she is also denouncing Twitter and Instagram. What next? She seems to have some new found need to have her opinions broadcast all over social media. If I ever become famous and start denouncing one thing after another after being out of the public eye for decades, then I would expect someone to notice and comment. Just like we all do when Trump takes to his Twitter, and his mental competence is always being questioned.

And yet here you are voicing your opinion on an internet forum. And here I am noticing and commenting.

Women of advanced age are not irrelevant and should not be expected to just fade into nothingness and keep their opinions to themselves or else be accused of being mentally unstable.

Being out of the public eye and then having the nerve to have opinions anyway? I think you know how sh*tty of an argument that is.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Many men will not want to work with women in fear of being accused of something.

A clear headed point. I've already seen some women accuse a man of something they didn't do to get ahead. As a result the women and men in the group hired only men to avoid this from happening again, and the manipulative accuser woman was forced out. this is where this #Metoo stuff is heading. Division of male and female, right back to pre 60's days.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

"Denueve seemed nonplussed, whatever the cover would be. “I hope it’s funny at least, even if it’s a bit nasty,” she said, shrugging. Lesson No. 5 on how to be like Catherine Deneuve?

"Let them call you fat, as long as they're funny"

I don't think I will let them. She is from a different planet from me.

She isn't. She's from Earth. You just think you are superior.

That's what supremacists do.

Me? I think comedy is the one place where virtually no one should be off-limits. But, you probably think I am from a planet with inferior beings, too.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Not all women, just this one woman and only predicated upon what I am learning about her many opinions as she starts opining "Let them call you fat, ..." etc.. She is not standing up against bad behaviour from people and I still wonder why she feels she needs to stand up for inappropriate and nasty behaviours. Strange.

You are noticing and commenting and as you, I too have the right to say what I think.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

"Denueve seemed nonplussed, whatever the cover would be. “I hope it’s funny at least, even if it’s a bit nasty,” she said, shrugging. Lesson No. 5 on how to be like Catherine Deneuve?

Me? I think comedy is the one place where virtually no one should be off-limits. But, you probably think I am from a planet with inferior beings, too.

It's not a superior attitude, it's just a respectful one. It's all about respect for one another and calling out those that one feels is in the wrong.
edit on 01CST04America/Chicago04440431 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Not all women, just this one woman and only predicated upon what I am learning about her many opinions as she starts opining "Let them call you fat, ..." etc.. She is not standing up against bad behaviour from people and I still wonder why she feels she needs to stand up for inappropriate and nasty behaviours. Strange.

You are noticing and commenting and as you, I too have the right to say what I think.

I haven't begrudged you the right to disagree once. But I am not going pretend I think you are an advocate for equality when you clearly think you are superior.

Again, comedy is the one place where I think it's ok to make fun of nearly everyone and everything (not kids...not people who don't have the intellectual capacity to understand joking).

I love Dave Chapelle in all his 'bad behavior.' I love 'Family Guy' for its effort to make everyone feel equal...equally open to being made fun of. No one has to feel singled-out and picked on in comedy.

edit on 1/12/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I haven't begrudged you the right to disagree once. But I am not going pretend I think you are an advocate for equality when you clearly think you are superior.

Again, comedy is the one place where I think it's ok to make fun of nearly everyone and everything (not kids...not people who don't have the intellectual capacity to understand joking).

I love Dave Chapelle in all his 'bad behavior.' I love 'Family Guy' for its effort to make everyone feel equal...equally open to being made fun of. No one has to feel picked on in comedy.

I don't think I am superior, but I do advocate for equal respect and I will not be silenced.

Someone else who thinks she is wrong...

news.sky.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

It's not a superior attitude, it's just a respectful one. It's all about respect for one another and calling out those that one feels is in the wrong.

Respectful is giving people credit for recognizing a joke and for being able to laugh at themselves without you suggesting they are pathetic somehow for doing so.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Respectful is giving people credit for recognizing a joke and for being able to laugh at themselves without you suggesting they are pathetic somehow for doing so.

If you don't mind being insulted under the guise of a joke at your expense, then you are free to laugh it up. However, I would consider someone calling me fat an insult, no matter how they delivered it; we are not in a comedy show. I will always call someone out on inappropriate behaviour and nastiness because 'Time's Up'.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I'm not silencing you. No one is.

And I don't care what Steven Spielberg has to say either. I can't recall anything he's ever said that made me think his opinion is any better than anyone else's.

So, he disagrees with her..BFD.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

If you don't mind being insulted under the guise of a joke at your expense, then you are free to laugh it up. However, I would consider someone calling me fat an insult, no matter how they delivered it; we are not in a comedy show. I will always call someone out on inappropriate behaviour and nastiness because 'Time's Up'.

Then live by your rules that you can't laugh at yourself.

But don't delude yourself into thinking it's a superior way to go through life.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

And I don't care what Steven Spielberg has to say either. I can't recall anything he's ever said that made me think his opinion is any better than anyone else's.

I can't recall anything Catherine D. said in the past or recently that made me think her opinion is of any worth.
edit on 01CST04America/Chicago05940431 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I can't recall anything Catherine D. said in the past or recently that made me think her opinion is of any worth.

Well, I wouldn't say Speilberg's opinions are worthless. I just don't think they are superior. And, of course, Deneuve's opinions have worth. Same as everyone else...including you.

Your focus on the worth or worthlessness of people's opinions is telling. Personally, I suspect you spend too much time criticizing other people's opinions and not enough time critically thinking about your own.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

You claim to not think of yourself as superior, and follow that up with a statement about your superiority.

Interesting.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Well, I wouldn't say Speilberg's opinions are worthless. I just don't think they are superior. And, of course, Deneuve's opinions have worth. Same as everyone else...including you.

Your focus on the worth or worthlessness of people's opinions is telling. Personally, I suspect you spend too much time criticizing other people's opinions and not enough time critically thinking about your own.

Personally, you are looking for something that isn't there. I have a difference of opinion from her, and perhaps you, so deal with it and don't assume your ass off.
edit on 01CST08America/Chicago02580831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

You claim to not think of yourself as superior, and follow that up with a statement about your superiority.

Interesting.

Coming out of the woodwork Peck?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
In the future no one will have sex before an agreement is signed and notarized by a lawyer. In fact, I'll bet they'll be an app for that soon!!
edit on 14-1-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Catherine Deneuve Would Like to Clarify Her Position On #MeToo

I’m a free woman and I will remain one,” Ms. Deneuve said in the letter to Libération. “I fraternally salute all women victims of odious acts who may have felt aggrieved by the letter in Le Monde. It is to them, and them alone, that I apologize.”

Deneuve also insisted that nothing in the letter “claims that harassment is good,” and also seems frustrated with how her fellow signatories are promoting its contents:

“Yes, I signed this petition, and yet it seems to me absolutely necessary today to emphasize my disagreement with the way some petitioners individually claim the right to spread themselves across the media, distorting the very spirit of this text,” she continued.

Deneuve also takes issue with how her feminism is being judged in this new world; in her letter she reminds readers that in 1971, she spoke openly of having an abortion when the practice was still illegal. She’s also not happy with the folks who have recently hitched to her wagon:

“I would like to say to conservatives, racists and traditionalists of all kinds who have found it strategic to support me that I am not fooled,” she said. “They will have neither my gratitude nor my friendship — on the contrary.”

feel the burn of that last part, please
edit on 15-1-2018 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Who is this person?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Where can I meet her?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join