It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catherine Deneuve Says Men Should Be "Free To Hit On" Women

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Interesting perspective from the former sex symbol. Is Catherine Deneuve's opinion a "logical fallacy" or is she spot on with her assessment?

French actor signs open letter that claims ‘witch-hunt’ in wake of Harvey Weinstein scandal poses threat to sexual freedom

“Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,” said the letter, which was also signed by Catherine Millet, author of the explicit 2002 bestseller The Sexual Life of Catherine M.

“Instead of helping women this frenzy to send these (male chauvinist) ‘pigs’ to the abattoir actually helps the enemies of sexual liberty – religious extremists and the worst sort of reactionaries,” the collective of women who signed the letter said.

“As women we do not recognise ourselves in this feminism, which beyond denouncing the abuse of power takes on a hatred of men and of sexuality.” They insisted that women were “sufficiently aware that the sexual urge is by its nature wild and aggressive. But we are also clear-eyed enough not to confuse an awkward attempt to pick someone up with a sexual attack.”

www.theguardian.com...

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Jan 9 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

This is getting very interesting.

For now things will be very confusing but I think a calm rationalist view similar to that expressed in this letter will eventually win out.

It might take a few years of turmoil to get there though.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I think this is going to hurt women.

Many men will not want to work with women in fear of being accused of something.

yeah yeah. I know how that sounds. If they aren't doing anything wrong they have nothing to fear.

However I'm starting to hear professionals doing this. Not wanting to work with women in fear of if they have to work late or be alone they'll get accused of something.

Unintended consequences.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
In this volatile battle of the sexes, not much good can come of it. Division, perhaps.... is that any good ? Two camps, male and female.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Despite Oprah's Sermon on the Dias and the group display of collective outrage over women being treated as sexual objects, by women wearing skimpy and revealing little black dresses, nothing will really change. There will always be women that will use their sexuality to gain advantage and there will always be men that are receptive to it.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
August 18, 1920 down hill from there .

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There is actually alot of truth in her statement.

Unfortunately, rape does exist. It's going to be a bumpy ride for awhile. Men may shy away from approaching an attractive woman and a woman may miss out on meeting a desirable man. We will suffer lost relationships.

Perhaps, given time and reflection, a new respect will emerge and it will be easier to discern between attraction contacts and disgusting behavior-and the lies used to hurt one another.

Here's hoping for a better future in the respect between men and women.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
In this volatile battle of the sexes, not much good can come of it. Division, perhaps.... is that any good ? Two camps, male and female.

I don't know if division of the sexes would work. To me the answer is simple. Men fart, burp, and scratch their b@#s. Nature has designed us to be visual creatures. If a half dressed woman walks by we WILL look, and maybe comment to the guy next to us. Nature tells males to chase females in every animal on the planet. That said there is going to far, but women should stop trying to change the nature of men. That's what tends to piss us off. (Go ahead hammer me on that)

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Courtship has worked well enough throughout history. She’s exactly right to say an awkward pickup attempt should not be conflated with sexual assault.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Courtship has worked well enough throughout history. She’s exactly right to say an awkward pickup attempt should not be conflated with sexual assault.

I could agree with that. All to many times I've seen a woman in a bikini get mad about some guys remarks but not another. Even if it was the same remark. Some women seem to think that they can pick and choose what guys are attracted to them.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Yeah, sure seems like ......

I am sure it will be used in that manner in future. The court of public opinion will eviscerate a man now simply based upon unfounded and baseless accusations. If ever due process is used at all, the outcome (innocent or guilty) is irrelevant. That man is branded now, branded with no recourse to correct that injustice.

When will holding a door open for a woman become harassment since, well, he is a man after all?

He MUST have some ulterior sexual motive for that action.

edit on 1/9/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The way I see the hypocrisy of women's psyche:

Ugly old man "touches a knee or tries to steal a kiss" = sexual harassment
Hot Alpha male "touches a knee or tries to steal a kiss or pins them against a wall in the heat of passion" = most womens fantasy

edit on 9-1-2018 by Kalixi because: clarifying my point

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think she has summed it up rationally and eloquently.

I absolutely agree with her. These women are harming us in the long term and I reject rabid feminism which is not actually about equality, but seems to be about bringing in abject male oppression.
edit on 9-1-2018 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
The way I look at this:

Hot Alpha male "touches a knee or tries to steal a kiss or pins them against a wall in the heat of passion" = most womens fantasy

And how is either man to know what she thinks? Every woman is different, and has different standards. Some might be attracted to that "ugly old man" because they see him as having stability and $$$, whereas the "Hot Aplha" is a player only looking for his next conquest.

Until a woman voices HER objection, it is unknown. Then, and only then, if it continues it enters the realm of harassment (whether sexual or not).

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: selfharmonise
I think she has summed it up rationally and eloquently.

I absolutely agree with her. These women are harming us in the long term and I reject rabid feminism which is not actually about equality, but seems to be about bringing in abject male oppression.

Thank you for your sane and even viewpoint on this topic. It is heartening to hear that, to be honest.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi
lol yes,the line between romantic and creepy does seem to depend on how good looking you are.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

let me put it to you this way....
if men should be free to steal a kiss or pin me up against the wall in the workplace without any repercussions...
then I should be free to slap the crap out of him without any repercussions of he tries that crap!!!

edit on 9-1-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
The way I look at this:

I was told once that if a man could figure out what women want he could make millions. So here's what I have learned. After 50 years of dealing with women of all ages I think it's safe to say that, like men, women have no idea what they want either. I want a guy to notice me, but I don't need a man in my life,,, yeah ok.

So who has my millions

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA

I could agree with that. All to many times I've seen a woman in a bikini get mad about some guys remarks but not another. Even if it was the same remark. Some women seem to think that they can pick and choose what guys are attracted to them.

I wager that many pickup attempts are completely innocent, and dispelled with a simple “not interested”, “no thanks”, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Apparently she's never been punched in the face by a man...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join