It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

737 short landing accident report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It took ten years for this accident report, and seriously, I still can't wrap my brain around it. On October 28, 2007 an Air Europa 737-800 landing at Katowice touched down 2800 feet short. It proceeded to go through the approach lights, with a total of 120 impact points on the aircraft, and eventually stopping on the runway.

And this is the part that my brain can't wrap around. The crew, which included an instructor pilot in the jump seat, proceeded to taxi to the stand, and not tell anyone what happened. According to CVR transcripts the crew discussed having to notify the airport of the incident, but didn't say anything.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That sounds absolutely crazy!! To just carry on as if nothing had happened sounds unimaginable.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
well looks to me like more then just a couple pilots need to be fired .
So they hit over a 100 ground lights ? And no one in the tower noticed this ?
As for telling the passengers wile the ground lights may have been damaged the plan was fine ( ground lights are accutly flush with the ground the most the plan could have done was brake the covers even the tiers would have been fine the lights probly still worked as well just need to replace the covers .

So tell me once parked just what would be the point in telling the passengers that you just busted 100 lights ?
The event was already over the plan parked .

anyway fire them fire the control tower people as well kind of hard to miss seeing the event .
Who knows maybe they hired the cast of Air plane to run that tower ?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

They didn't hit the ground lights, they hit the approach lights. They're mounted several feet off the ground on heavy metal poles.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

That sounds absolutely crazy!! To just carry on as if nothing had happened sounds unimaginable.

If people knew about all the so called mishaps that have occurred to aircraft they would never get on another plane. No matter what you might like to believe, the men and women who work on, or fly those planes are human. Like anyone else they make mistakes. All the training in the world will NOT remove the human element. A guys girlfriend breaks up with him it WILL affect his day at work.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They tried to hide that it happened... they are far more screwed then if they would have just told the truth. One thing the regulators REALLY REALLY hates is people trying to hide mishaps.
edit on 9-1-2018 by Pyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

That's crazy. Like, they crossed roads and all kinds of airport equipment. I'm voting on Drunk In Cockpit.

I can't fathom how it doesn't come up. How you can even taxi through that terrain.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I
And this is the part that my brain can't wrap around. The crew, which included an instructor pilot in the jump seat, proceeded to taxi to the stand, and not tell anyone what happened.

It's called, in technical aviation parlance, the Chris Rock Maneuver, just rub some 'Tussin on it and pretend like it didn't happen.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

According to the report they bounced at least once. There was a throttle advance after the first impact, but only for a few seconds until the stick shaker activated.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Surely the 737 must have sustained a fair bit of damage to its skin after that??

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Wings, flaps, engines, gear....there were a total of 120 damage points.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

No questions asked when it had to go in for repair?
"Errr it was like that when we found it..."
edit on 9-1-2018 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

They eventually told what happened, but they were supposed to notify the tower immediately and get equipment rolling to them.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
They taxied on grass. I can't believe those engines even kept running with all that FOD. Geez. I'm guessing that had to add power to make it TO the runway. 2800' is a long ways to go in grass in a 737.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

They are lucky the grass and soil didn't just give out underneath the 737 and just snap the landing gear.

Did the plane re-enter service after being repaired? or was it deemed too much and salvaged for parts for other aircraft?.

I bet the pilots got together, and decided it was in the best interest for themselves and the airline to not report the incident, and quite possibly could have been a lapse in judgment between the flight instructor and the novice pilot.? which wouldn't make them look very good in the public's eye.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I suppose somewhere along the line of their training they were told, "Any landing you can walk away from is O.K." !! hahah

Idiots

top topics

join