It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H&M clothing chain latest target of racial hysteria

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
did any of these people even consider the fact that this kid could of potentially liked monkey's as it's favorite animal?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

No one will know that unless the boy in the ad speaks out.

There is no guarantee as was pointed out earlier than he even directly wore that shirt too.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

To the black people who may be reading this: When you get outraged by things like this, it makes you look like you have an inferiority complex. If you're that triggered by the word "monkey" on a jungle-themed 

No!! because "we" don't share the same social history, H&M may have made an advertising error, referring to Black people as Apes and Monkees has a long tradition of demeaning black folks as less than, if you don't get it , perhaps it's because you aren't blk and it's all good fun to you, why should you care..but don't tell black folks how to react.
edit on 9-1-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

hyper reactive culture is spreading

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
a reply to: Edumakated

Yah but why do you suppose his parents allowed him to model the shirt?

To make a quick buck.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Lost in translation, its a Swedish company they probably had no clue that was a racial slur.

Figured it was something like that.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

To the black people who may be reading this: When you get outraged by things like this, it makes you look like you have an inferiority complex. If you're that triggered by the word "monkey" on a jungle-themed 

No!! because "we" don't share the same social history, H&M may have made an advertising error, referring to Black people as Apes and Monkees has a long tradition of demeaning black folks as less than, if you don't get it , perhaps it's because you aren't blk and it's all good fun to you, why should you care..but don't tell black folks how to react.

This is such BS. H&M may have made an advertising error, but they have not referred to black people as monkeys.

They company have used a black kid in an ad, where they, from a marketing standpoint, clearly should not. Their crime is to not make race a factor.

Instead of seeing colors, they basically said "a kid is a kid" and thought no more of it.

How dare they.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
The people who are calling this out are the real racists for associating "black" with "monkey". Everyone else sees an adorable kid

First impression for me was... ok? So? Then I remembered.. oh yeah...

It's pretty common for my uncles and aunts to call their little nieces and nephews "monkey". Some people just dont associate that with race. But... People like to associate everything with color, which it stupid and more ignorant.

So I guess:

- I can't offer my black friend fried chicken because it's racist.
- I can't deny my black friend fried chicken because it's racist.

- I can't offer my black friend watermelon because it's racist.
- I can't deny my black friend watermelon because it's racist.

That logic would dictate:

- I can't offer my asian friend sushi because it's racist.
- I can't deny my asian friend sushi because it's racist.

- I can't offer my asian friend rice because it's racist.
- I can't deny my asian friend rice because it's racist.

I can keep going with every race because every race has something.

Yet, you can talk about white people and their cosmopolitans all damn day long.

Bottom line... People who care about this sort of thing are stupid. People in general just suck. The world needs to get over it, seriously.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
What if a clothing line had put out a "white" kid in a shirt that said "Coolest cracker in the trailer park"

More alt-left anti-white propaganda?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Then IF "social history" matters to you or anyone else, then you have two options:

Segregation so the overlaps don't offend

or

Just get over it. Not everyone thinks like you and YOU should accept that just as YOU tell us to be aware of it. Which is easier?

I think getting over it is so much easier.

If you want to have people aware of words we/they can not use, we should make a list. Make sure to include:

- Cracker
- White Bread
- Whitey
- Ginger
- White Devil
- Guero
- Gringo
- IRS
- Government
- Democrat
- Republican
- Trump
- Clinton
- Sexy
- Hot
- the bloody dictionary - because it's all offensive to someone.

Can't we all just get along and stop playing this dumb-$#@^ game for idiots and triggered morons?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I miss the days when social media wasn't around to make a mountain out of every tone deaf molehill.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Fair enough, but by the same token, who are you (speaking generally here) to judge our attitude towards those reactions? You're right, I don't know exactly where you're coming from... that said, all too often any non-person of color who fails to react in the way POC demand gets slapped with the ever popular "racist" or "bigot" label, leading to the obvious question "why is understanding where someone different is coming from considered a one way street by many social justice minded people and many POCs?" You can't rationally demand other groups walk a mile in your shoes while pointing at their shoes and ridiculing them from afar.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I'm not going to pretend that the word hasn't been used as a racial slur. I also assume most people know it. But, this child's parent(s) clearly consented to him modeling this hoodie. I'd like to hear from them. I don't think it's up to anyone except them to decide if their child should have modeled the hoodie or not.

If they are also black (and I am going to assume they are), then who is anyone to tell them how they should have reacted?

Also, if H&M decided that this child was not appropriate to model the hoodie because of his skin color..that's blatant and intentional discrimination.

I guess the only answer is to ban the word 'monkey' from clothing? Honestly, I think that's a really crappy solution. Maybe it's just time to take the slur out of the word, give it back to the monkeys, and give people the benefit of the doubt.

If some jackass wants to snicker at it...eh, let him. This handsome kid is owning the shirt though...it's not owning him.
edit on 1/9/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Assholes made that kind of reference in the past. Maybe even some today, who knows. But when people say things innocently, its beyond absurd to take issue with it.

Not everyone is an asshole, is all im saying.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

He's being a good model and working the clothing like he should be.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I'm not going to pretend that the word hasn't been used as a racial slur. I also assume most people know it. But, this child's parent(s) clearly consented to him modeling this hoodie. I'd like to hear from them. I don't think it's up to anyone except them to decide if their child should have modeled the hoodie or not.

If they are also black (and I am going to assume they are), then who is anyone to tell them how they should have reacted?

Also, if H&M decided that this child was not appropriate to model the hoodie because of his skin color..that's blatant and intentional discrimination.

I guess the only answer is to ban the word 'monkey' from clothing? Honestly, I think that's a really crappy solution. Maybe it's just time to take the slur out of the word, give it back to the monkeys, and give people the benefit of the doubt.

If some jackass wants to snicker at it...eh, let him. This handsome kid is owning the shirt though...it's not owning him.

We don't know that the parents approved it. Often times the clothing nowadays is actually photoshopped on the models. He could have had a plain white t-shirt on for the original pose. In addition, just because an individual black person decides to do something, does not mean that the black community won't find it offensive.

I can pull up all kinds of stuff consenting black individuals do that the community at large would find entirely offensive.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

We don't know that the parents approved it. Often times the clothing nowadays is actually photoshopped on the models. He could have had a plain white t-shirt on for the original pose. In addition, just because an individual black person decides to do something, does not mean that the black community won't find it offensive.

I can pull up all kinds of stuff consenting black individuals do that the community at large would find entirely offensive.

I considered that and, as a graphic designer, I feel like the child is probably actually wearing the hoodie. I could be wrong though...that's partly why I would like to hear from the parents.

However, why should any individual's voice be drown out by a larger community that may or may not represent them?

I see 'diva' and 'princess' clothing for girls, all the time, and it makes me cringe in how it objectifies and belittles females. That kind of stuff has a profound affect on young girls who are forming their identities.

Do I need to have my feelings respected to the point that clothing retailers should not sell that kind of thing and not let girls model clothes with those kinds of messages? No. I just don't buy that crap.

edit on 1/9/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
If I recall you are in Japan right now right? Did you grow up there, or in the states? Because I grew up in the states, and went to majority black school until high school. And because I was an Asian looking white Hispanic, let me tell you I never heard the end of it. It was other black kids that would always throw slanderous derogatory racist slurs at me. And like what I never get was, is there something wrong with being Asian? Because they would always yell it at me like it was an insult and laugh and try to belittle me. It hurt, until I got to Middle School and started calling them on it and telling them how racist they were being. Which led to fights, and of course then jumping from the other cowards when I tried to defend myself.

I remember calling somebody a monkey in middle school because I had had it with the insults. You know what? It did not lead to a fight, and that girl just shutup while my school mates looked at me like I was crazy. That was the first time I even learned that monkey was considered a bad thing to say to someone with a darker complexion. But it seemed when the asshole racist black kids finally felt the same hurt I felt, they STFU and I was involved in less fights.

I don't really know what the moral of the story is, I am just conveying my childhood experience. by the time I was in high school, Hispanics of ALL colors had pretty much taken over the demographic, and ironically the schools are less violent and more open minded now. Even the gays are more welcome now, and I firmly believe it is thanks to Hispanic culture, even though I ironically do not like speaking Spanish and prefer English.

I will tell you from some of my friends older school age children what I still hear about racism in the schools. It is primarily coming from the black students, always trying to talk trash about other races. They love to pick on white kids, they love to pick on asian kids, but they tend to hold their tongue to the Hispanics, even though I was always referred to as "whiteboy chico" or "my chinese hispanic" or some other stupid ass #. And I was always like "dude I don't call you my black friend, why the # do you have to refer to me as your white boy chico or call me chinese?" Its always #ing funny though and they just like "oh im just playing man, you know you my boy." Im not even Chinese!

Life sucks 1000 times harder as a white skinned student in a mostly black school, than the other way around. And If you have ever been in a mostly black school, I don't care what color you are, you know it is the damn truth!

So we are all apes, # the ancient ass "oh man monkeys and apes hurts our feelings" bull#. The younger kids do not even get it or care or take it that personally anymore. Most of this outrage is coming from older generation who are still confined to neighborhoods where their demographic is still a majority. Because I have had such a diverse grouping of friends growing up, and the minorities who grow up in mixed neighborhoods, or hispanic neighborhoods, or even white neighborhoods do not hold on to this ancient ass victim stuff. In fact, they laugh about it, it is funny to them. Black people who grow up in not so black neighborhoods tend to be much less racist and thin skinned about such trivial ancient crap. Its time to desegregate American neighborhoods man, all they do is reinforce hate culture and victim mentality.

I JUST BEEN TRIGGERED!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I'm interested in your point of view knowing your a conservative who doesn't get offended by every slight.

You may have stated it but I don't have time to comb through the thread.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I'm interested in your point of view knowing your a conservative who doesn't get offended by every slight.

You may have stated it but I don't have time to comb through the thread.

I get the outrage. I stated that those not understanding why people are upset are down playing how for generations blacks were denigrated with apes & monkeys slurs. Yes, black people are very sensitive about it and for good reason.

Heck, I can go to some sites right now and find instances in comments sections where people call blacks "City Apes"... accuse black people of "chimping out", etc.

I don't think H&M meant anything by it and it is a cute kid. Sometimes people simply don't see things as they are looking at it from a different perspective.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join