It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question why is liquor and tabaco use not punishable with a prison sentence

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
I know it's ludicrious. When you, for arguments sake, compare alcohol to 'shrooms:

Alcohol: addictive, loss of control, overdose, depression

'Shrooms: non addictive, fully incontrol, cannot physically OD, does not cause mental illness, actually produces happier mood and improves mental illness for up to 1 year of ingestion, causes spiritual enlightenment.

But drinking alcohol is legal and picking a native psychedelic mushroom off the ground and placing it on your person is eqiv. to possessing heroin in Aust.

I was quite the opposite... I almost threw a shoe through a tv just because, I was plagued with panic attacks after for years when I never had any sort of anxiety before. The paranoia was terrible and not “happiness”

Just because it works for some doesn’t mean it’s going to work for everyone in the world like it’s a factual thing.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think all drugs should be legal (yes, alcohol is a drug... a hard drug) and the government telling people what they can and can't do with their bodies is a violation of human rights.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
I think all drugs should be legal (yes, alcohol is a drug... a hard drug) and the government telling people what they can and can't do with their bodies is a violation of human rights.

What human right violation does it exactly break?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

originally posted by: Konduit

What human right violation does it exactly break?

Legally?
Probably none.

Philosophically?
Autonomy, for sure.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

If it’s not legally a violation they can legally jail you for it right?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

If it’s not legally a violation they can legally jail you for it right?

Obviously.

But it completely ignores the moral dilemma.

Legal doesn’t always equal right.
And illegal doesn’t always equal wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

They finally legalized alcohol because there is a distillation process, that process can be regulated. Lots of laws for bureaucrats to squeeze out pork. Marijuana just grows, so it doesn't require any distillation, concentrates do so my guess is if they finally legalize cannabis most of the legal stuff you can buy will be concentrates.

Also, hemp is one of the most useful plants known to man it can be used in many textiles, it produces useful oils and extracts and can be distilled for bio-fuels. The US had a large agricultural economy based on cotton, and oil both of which are threatened by hemp.

I don't know about tobacco, I'd say that tobacco was also widely grown throughout the US before the federal government became large enough to run everyone's lives so it was 'grandfathered' in.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
This may be a very simple and clean cut question, but really, we have a plant that makes a person feel good and if caught smoking it will lead to a lengthy prison sentence.
I can't understand why the use of alcohol and tabacco don't come with prison terms.

Well the answer is politicians like to smoke and drink.

UMM dude.....I'm afraid you have friggin nailed it......logic dictates.....Can't no one say nothing against that title

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

That sucks. I've never had a bad trip but I can see how terrifying they'd be. Maybe give it some time and make sure you're in a good frame of mind and have a chaperone next time

I might also add I've never smoked a cigarette nore taken any other drugs before. We have a collective perception that 'shrooms are hard drugs but even gov't websites say they're not that extreme.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Here's a good reason OP

Revealing the sheer hypocrisy and criminality of Sessions’ move—which vowed to uphold the archaic and despotic Controlled Substances Act of 1970 that prohibits the cultivation, distribution, and possession of marijuana—Sessions’ DEA granted a company a monopoly on the sale of the synthetic form of the plant which contains the exact properties of cannabis.

The active ingredient in cannabis, THC, remains classified as a Schedule 1 drug—meaning the government claims it is dangerous, addictive, and has no medical value. Coincidentally, over the Thanksgiving holiday, the DoJ’s Drug Enforcement Administration granted Insys Therapeutics—a rogue pharmaceutical company rife with corruption—a Schedule II classification on their synthetic form of THC, Dronabinol.

Instead of allowing people to use a natural form of a plant that can cure them, Jeff Sessions will use taxpayer dollars to continue cannabis prohibition while his DEA grants a monopoly on the exact same substance—only synthetic—to Insys.

www.blacklistednews.com... .html

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

they like their coc aine too... but you don't see them rushing to legalize that. not that they get in much trouble for it when they get caught, anyway.

it's about pacification of the masses. tobacco gives people energy to go on with their servile jobs. alcohol is a depressant and gives people an outlet in localized rowdiness.

drugs that inspire more deep thinking and sense of community? those are right out. might lead in dangerous directions.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Well, drinking is good for you, especially the social benefits in pubs. It is only regular and excessive drinking that is problematic. Smoking is quietly being taxed out of existence in the UK, and good riddance too as attitudes have changed and smoking is no longer seen as "good and healthy". Give it two decades and smoking will have gone.

Smoking blow/weed/pot etc., is not clever or comparable to having a pint of beer, or a glass of wine. Attempting to draw parallels is comparing apples and oranges.

And, sure politicians enjoy a drink. Some even smoke. Many have dabbled in drugs and some have even been caught on the job with drugs.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: AMPTAH

You can't get productive work out of someone high on weed.

Literally a complete nonsense statement to make.

If a worker is truly determined to be productive they will.
No amount of weed stops that.

Can’t talk about personal use here, but I know this for a fact.

True, one of my best mates is a Auto Trans Mechanic. One of the best here in Australia. He is always stoned at work, has a perfect record, no boomerangs as we call them here , can put a trans together with his eyes closed. I've seen him work on trans and cars while not being stoned, and he just isn't focused.
Anyways Indica and Sativa, either one, isn't right for everyone.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Also to keep people in prison.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

This may be a very simple and clean cut question, but really, we have a plant that makes a person feel good and if caught smoking it will lead to a lengthy prison sentence.
I can't understand why the use of alcohol and tabacco don't come with prison terms.

Perhaps this is where an answer lies.

From a speech given by Dr Richard Day on March 20, 1969, enetitled Everything Is In Place and Nobody Can Stop Us Now.

Link

www.overlordsofchaos.com...

Encouragement of Drug Abuse to create a Jungle Atmosphere

Drug use would be increased. Alcohol use would be increased. Law enforcement efforts against drugs would be increased. On first hearing that, it sounded like a contradiction. Why increase drug abuse and simultaneously increase law enforcement against drug abuse? But the idea is that, in part, the increased availability of drugs would provide a sort of law of the jungle whereby the weak and the unfit would be selected out.

"Before the earth was overpopulated, there was a law of the jungle where only the fittest survived."

You had to be able to protect yourself against the elements and wild animals and disease. And if you were fit, you survived. But now we've become so civilised -we're over civilized- and the unfit are enabled to survive, only at the expense of those who are more fit. And the abusive drugs then, would restore, in a certain sense, the law of the jungle, and selection of the fittest for survival. News about drug abuse and law enforcement efforts would tend to keep drugs in the public consciousness. And would also tend to reduce this unwarranted American complacency that the world is a safe place, and a nice place.

Alcohol Abuse

The same thing would happen with alcohol. Alcohol abuse would be both promoted and demoted at the same time. The vulnerable and the weak would respond to the promotions and, therefore, use and abuse more alcohol. Drunk driving would become more of a problem; and stricter rules about driving under the influence would be established so that more and more people would lose their privilege to drive. - Dr Day.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Why isn't prostitution legal???

It is 100% legal where I live, in Victoria Australia...

Anyway, I think people put to much thought to the OP's question, looking for logic where their really is none... I used to do the same.

Yeah sure, theirs always invested interests when it comes to making/keeping things legal or illegal. But at the end of the day, it usally comes down to whats culturally acceptable by the masses...

If the Tobacco plant was discovered tomorrow, it'd be illegal in most places within a year or two... If we just learnt how to ferment alcohol tomorrow, it'd be made illegal within a month in most places.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Kind of what they do and have done for many years,grow your own in Calif,not like prop 64 was a big deal,only on media to show the lower states

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Prostitution is legal in Nevada and several European Union countries.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

"You can't get productive work out of someone high on weed. "

I call BS. I know several people who smoke weed while working and they are some of the most thorough and productive workers i've seen.

Not all strains make you want to lay around, play Xbox and eat Cheetos.

Blame the person's work ethic, not the weed.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

It is in the UK just soliciting for business is illegal. Bizarre quirk of British law.
Regarding cannabis though I actually forget it's illegal here it's so easy to buy and so many people smoke it.

<< 1    3 >>

join