It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question why is liquor and tabaco use not punishable with a prison sentence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This may be a very simple and clean cut question, but really, we have a plant that makes a person feel good and if caught smoking it will lead to a lengthy prison sentence.
I can't understand why the use of alcohol and tabacco don't come with prison terms.

Well the answer is politicians like to smoke and drink.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Why isn't prostitution legal???

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
we need to put this government in check, end this insane pension and benefits packages paradigm as well

these people think we exist to pay their pensions, cut them off

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Because it makes the person feel good, politicians restrict our rights to feel good in life, drinking, do you feel good, smoke a fag, do you feel good, boning a chick, do you feel good, well in this case you should

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Well, you definitely shouldn't smoke a prostitute.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

It's money silly, it's always money.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
This may be a very simple and clean cut question, but really, we have a plant that makes a person feel good and if caught smoking it will lead to a lengthy prison sentence.
I can't understand why the use of alcohol and tabacco don't come with prison terms.

I guess you forgot about prohibition. They already tried that and it turned into one of the biggest crime empires in the United States. It was a massive failure.

Weed is illegal because lumber barons wanted to push hemp out of the market for paper and other products. They blamed it on making minorities violent and it’s been brainwashed into culture since.

The US had a choice at the end of prohibition if they wanted weed or alcohol. They chose alcohol.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Cigarettes keep workers productive, liquor numbs them out so they don't think or question their lives. Why was vodka subsidized by the Soviet government? A Romanian I knew who grew up in the Soviet union once told me that everyone used to get a vodka ration from the government and the leading cause of death was liver failure or other alcohol related deaths.
edit on 8/1/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

It's money silly, it's always money.

No.
Mary Jane is easily taxed and regulated.

Competition to BigPharma is the only true reason.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You can't get productive work out of someone high on weed.

So, things like alcohol and weed were banned because they reduced the labor output of the workforce.

Now that robots are taking over all our jobs, all these laws are going to be repealed.

No need for productive human workers anymore, let them dream and space out, and maybe some will come up with some creative artistic thing that the robots can then build into the future infrastructure of societies.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Weed grows in everyone's lawn here in mich. I bet it is skunky weed, but MJ would be a nightmare to control, it grows like a weed.

And if people are smoooking, they may very well not buy booze-or at least not as much.

As for cigs, they are dying out because of the obvious harm they cause, and very little good they do.
edit on 8-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I think all vices should be legal. It is far easier to police and regulate legal activities than illegal ones. The money used for prosecution could be put towards rehab.

Gambling
Smoking
Alcohol
Drugs
Prostitution

People have been doing all of them for eons.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Weed grows in everyone's lawn here in mich. I bet it is skunky weed, but MJ would be a nightmare to control, it grows like a weed.

And if people are smoooking, they may very well not buy booze-or at least not as much.

As for cigs, they are dying out because of the obvious harm they cause, and very little good they do.

It’s already controlled where it’s legal.
& if that was truly the case the legalised States would be useless because everyone would just grow it.

I did forget the other reason though...
War on drugs and prison profits.
edit on 8-1-2018 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

You can't get productive work out of someone high on weed.

Literally a complete nonsense statement to make.

If a worker is truly determined to be productive they will.
No amount of weed stops that.

Can’t talk about personal use here, but I know this for a fact.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I sent you a private message.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yes....War on drugs....Money with revolving door criminals. Although the private prison numbers are not epidemic, yet.
rortybomb.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I know it's ludicrious. When you, for arguments sake, compare alcohol to 'shrooms:

Alcohol: addictive, loss of control, overdose, depression

'Shrooms: non addictive, fully incontrol, cannot physically OD, does not cause mental illness, actually produces happier mood and improves mental illness for up to 1 year of ingestion, causes spiritual enlightenment.

But drinking alcohol is legal and picking a native psychedelic mushroom off the ground and placing it on your person is eqiv. to possessing heroin in Aust.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Pot really should be legal. I don't smoke it and don't like being around people that are high and it stinks and I'd be furious if I found out my kids were getting high and wasting their lives away. But having said that, it should be legal.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The op has asked why is cannabis illegal, and yet alcohol and tobacco is not.

Here is the answer:

In answer to the first about Alcohol, read a bit of history, the entire Prohibition era, and look at Amendment 18 and 21. That is where alcohol was made illegal in the United States, and then where it was again, the great experiment in prohibition was found to be a failure.

Tobacco, well here again look at history and something called Big Tobacco. And for years, and this lobby is still strong and a fights come out about it time and time again, hence why it is still very much legal.

Now if you do a bit of research and look, believe it or not the reason why cannabis is illegal goes back to just after the Mexican revolution, the influx of Mexican immigrants into the USA, and racist reasons as to make it illegal, followed by the early start of the Jim Crow laws, where it was further demonized and thus outright made a crime to have and or use.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It was preplanned in some way..although it looks like an accident.-skinny puppy sample

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join