It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study claims older conservatives more likely to believe Fake News

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel
a reply to: Harpua

I would say, with 100% confidence, it is Democrats who believe in fake nows. CNN, ABC, MSNBC, Hillary ... The whole Democratic universe is built on lies.

The Americans who only watch those networks are dwindling. Those who do watch think that America is in bad shape just like their household are. I have a few relatives like that. It's tragic that they're missing out on the Trump Renaissance occurring in this nation.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

No I don't believe that at all.

I think the younger, more idealistic voters would turn to "news platforms" like Buzzfeed, satirical sites and Facebook to gain their information with little or no fact checking.

Most media platforms are an echochamber; you subscribe to the newspaper that adheres and qualifies your personal beliefs. I'm sick of crooked journos spitting out stories that merely purvey the opinions rather than the facts. It's asif the news has become nothing more than an alarmist gossip rag, like the ones our mums read, where you dissect what it's actually saying or who the sources are they are garbage.

This is why pure sources like Wikileaks are so important.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It looks like my original comment from the other thread was deleted.

I studied Media&comms at uni. We learnt to dissect the news and analise the stakes at play.

One interesting thing to note is that the term "Fake News" was originally coined by a right-wing Journalist to describe the non-newsworthy stories coming out against Trump that were not backed up with facts and were merely used as a smear piece against the future POTUS in the lead-up to the election. (how many times do we need to hear that Trump eats McDonalds??)

For those of us who have been here for a long time, we noticed a whole heap of left-wing shill accounts register with ATS, who only posted politics and all disappeared once the election was finished, as if by magic. These accounts were purposely muddying the waters and changing the meaning of words; they'd use words that were originally (and quite effectively) used against young Hillary supporters such as "triggered", "safe-space" and "snowflake" against people posting pro-Trump threads. This was a massive black-PR campaign that would have cost someone (Soro$) lots of money.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Fake news? What about fake education? Seems to me the whole point of everything is standardize, regulate and systemitize humans out of any value or reason whatsoever.

We are more easily replaced by automation that way.
edit on 8-1-2018 by SkeptiSchism because: sp

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
One interesting thing to note is that the term "Fake News" was originally coined by a right-wing Journalist to describe the non-newsworthy stories coming out against Trump that were not backed up with facts and were merely used as a smear piece against the future POTUS in the lead-up to the election. (how many times do we need to hear that Trump eats McDonalds??)

No it wasn't. The term "Fake News" has been around for many years now. Predating Trump by a great while. I don't know what class taught you that, but they lied to you.

Merriam Webster places the origin of the term back in the 19th century. So unless Trump is a timelord, you are wrong.
The Real Story of 'Fake News'

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
brainwashing works on both the young and the old just the same. I've seen old people be just as easily duped by fake news and extremely poor critical skills at about the same rate as the young. confirmation bias works on all ages. the old think their years of experience give them some insight to the truths of the world. the sophomoric young have the same problem by thinking they're cleaved and adroit when in actuality on average they are not. so it leaves a wide swath of humanitity easily influenced and manipulated.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sheesh, and here I thought that the fake news was the sorts of articles you see on Facebook and at the bottom of clickbait websites... I didn't know old conservatives are really into those sites??

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is this from another computer generated liberal pole?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

To clarify; the words 'fake' and 'news' were around a lot longer, yes I get that the journalist didn't invent those words. Maybe instead of "coined" I should have wrote "rehashed" because in my years of analysing the news I've never come across the term "fake news" until the lead up to the election.

You're older than me though, do you remember it back in your days?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Let me guess a lefitsts wrote this. I assume they think that the fake Syrian bombed kid concocted by CNN is real news.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I can assure you that whatever nonsense you believe on this subject is incorrect.
I am an older generation survivor myself .
Want to give me a test?
Guaranteed it wouldnt turn out too well for you....
But you are welcome to try...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Starred because well I agree. However deductive reasoning and a little common sense can go a long way.

For instance, the title of the article would suggest it's not really worth reading.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Ironically, your thread and OP are bonafide proof that your non scientific study has some truth to it.

You know, since you admittedly read that study and mistook its subjective commentary for objective science.

How old were you again?

Obviously not old enough to know that news is inherently subjective.
edit on 1/8/2018 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

To clarify; the words 'fake' and 'news' were around a lot longer, yes I get that the journalist didn't invent those words. Maybe instead of "coined" I should have wrote "rehashed" because in my years of analysing the news I've never come across the term "fake news" until the lead up to the election.

Why not? It's pretty much just another name for "propaganda".

You're older than me though, do you remember it back in your days?

Yes, but only in relation to tabloid/gossip magazines like WWN that print # like Batboy. Because it's literally fake news. Before that it was used in as an alternative to propaganda. For instance, in Nazi Germany Goebbels printed propaganda. That was fake news since it was mostly lies.

What happened this past election is that the term was politicized to a high degree. Now its definition has gotten fuzzy and merely something having a partisan slant can get it labeled fake news, but there is still technically a definition of the term so that is incorrect usage. However you can't change human beliefs like that so the term's meaning will continue to be diluted by people knee jerk labeling something "fake" without reading it and all because they don't like the content.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
And more likely to post it all over their Facebook pages....

It's getting ridiculous how much blatantly fake political crap age 40 and up Conservatives will post on their pages.

I see it with over the top Liberals as well, but not nearly as much.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
well, it seems to me that the first thing we would have to do is come to some kind of consensus as to what is fake news..
since we seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum in that one, any discussion on this or any similar poll is rather moot!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I haven't looked into the details of this study, but it's possible it's overstating where the blame should fall. See below:
www.buzzfeed.com - Most Americans Who See Fake News Believe It, New Survey Says...

The survey found that those who identify as Republican are more likely to view fake election news stories as very or somewhat accurate. Roughly 84% of the time, Republicans rated fake news headlines as accurate (among those they recognized), compared to a rate of 71% among Democrats. The survey also found that Trump voters are more likely to rate familiar fake news headlines as accurate than Clinton voters.

The differences don't seem large enough to matter. Republicans and Trump supporters might have it worse, but everyone has it bad. So if people can't judge the veracity of news, what's going to happen? This is scary to me. If government determines people cannot be trusted to discern truth from fiction, like in the news, might they overstep the boundaries of a free society in an attempt to pursue THE TRUTH?

What if it's not just the news? How long will it be until we're led by a leesh in everything we do? We can't be trusted to filter out the fiction. So we have to be taught and carefully watched by the truth department?

We should pray the people who have the power are interested in the truth and not just using this to gain more power. You know that saying about how power corrupts? Lets hope it doesn't.

The truth department probably just becomes the mouthpiece of the majority, or the elite. It's human nature. My opinion.

I googled this:
www.motherjones.com - Is Congress Really Authorizing US Propaganda at Home?...

But realistically, in the internet age, such a firewall is now essentially meaningless; anybody in the United States (and in many other places) can access most of this otherwise open info. And isn’t the American public capable of sorting through self-serving state PR? (As Cole points out, even government officials seeking a minority report have praised him “for having an accurate bull crap meter.”)

Oh good grief, NO! People can't be trusted. Each person needs a truth detector installed by the truth department. For national security. So the russians will never steal another election!!!!!!

Never again!

edit on 1/9/2018 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join