It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Rebirth of the Taliban; With U.S. Blessings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In a turn of events that might seem strange to some, Afghan officials are working with former Taliban officials in a "reconciliation process". The offer is open to young "misguided" Afghans who may be under the influence of former Prime Minister Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, a Taliban member who opposes Karzai. Afghan Ambassador Khalilzad said there had been a "positive response" to the suggestions from both American and Afghan officials.

ap.tbo.com
"Quite a number of people associated with the Taliban have taken advantage of it already and are living in their areas, they've come in and some senior members have also come in," Khalilzad said at a news conference.

He declined to give details about the reconciliation program, but said there would likely be an announcement from the Afghan government in coming days.

Khalilzad and the U.S. military are pressing President Hamid Karzai to reach out to "non-criminal" Taliban, many of whom are believed to have taken refuge in neighboring Pakistan after a U.S. bombing campaign ousted the former militia following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Center.

Officials hope such a program can help defuse the stubborn insurgency, which is hampering badly needed reconstruction and continues launching attacks against American soldiers.

American commanders and Afghan officials insist that many followers of the former ruling Taliban are growing disillusioned, but they have yet to produce evidence that figures with real influence among militant groups are ready to support the U.S.-backed government.

It also remains unclear how the offer to former Taliban relates to another proposed national reconciliation program which the United Nations and the main Afghan human rights group say should include the prosecution of war criminals from the country's long wars.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In this ever changing world, sides seems to blur and the difference between enemies and allies seems unclear. The Taliban regime was ousted and placed on every list as "bad guys" in the world for their crimes, especially their treatment of women, yet we see that they are allowed to continue their practices and now once again become a part of the Afghan political scene. It is my opinion that the crackdown of the Taliban and the actual perpretrators of the 9/11 disaster have and continue to be let of the hook easier than they should be. It also seems that the efforts to bring change and democracy to countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq will backfire as these new government democratically choose to retain fundamentalist islamic ideology.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Not good news. ...Seems to reflect what's happening in Iraq, as you point out. ...It also continues a long history of the US establishing and supporting repressive regimes.

...I'm wondering if these 'democratic' elections were really democratic.

Interesting that the one real democracy in a third world nation is under critical attack from the US (that would be Venezuela). Hmmm

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It sounds to me as if this is just offering some level of amnesty to some people who may have been involved with the Taliban simply since they were the ruling group in Afghanistan -- certainly not a return of the Taliban or their policies.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So one question how much money all this is going to cost us the tax payer, I am kind of edgy here you know with all the cuts to our domestic programs I want to know how much of my money is going to finance this great idea.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'd say 75% of this story is good news. Allowing the "low level" taliban back into Afghan society is a good way to start a reconciliation. My problem, is with the Senior Taliban officials being allowed to return to a "normal life". Those who are responsible for the attrocities against the Afghan people need to face the music.

If their fledgling democracy is to grow to be a true democracy, you can't shut out any group. Those of the "taliban idealogy" with clean hands shouldn't be shut out.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
imo no taliban is good taliban. The Taliban should not be allowed to exist or be allowed amnesty. Remember these are the same people that our President vowed to cripple and remove from power, now that we did that, why should there any reconciliation. If you're Taliban, then Afghanistan is no longer the place for you. Kind of like if you don't like it you can move.

I understand this is being done in hopes to squelch the remaining Taliban fighters and opposition to the Afghani government but superficial appeasement doesn't seem to the be the answer or the route that we should be taking.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
yup, a modified form of soviet era 're-education' ?
with a dollop of Christian forgiveness?
blended with (lower case d) democract style 1-man-1-vote rule

..death penalties are so short-lived...but a lifetime of controlled
manipulation & life management techniques would be a living hell
....of course there are a few needed scapegoats to be sacrificed to
the rule-of-law

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of others.

People in Europe, for the sake of argument, hate America. They don't hate Americans, they hate America because of who it is lead by.

If we flip that around and apply it to Afghanistan, I hate the taliban, but I don't hate those who had to live through it.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Allowing the "low level" taliban back into Afghan society is a good way to start a reconciliation. My problem, is with the Senior Taliban officials being allowed to return to a "normal life". Those who are responsible for the attrocities against the Afghan people need to face the music.

If their fledgling democracy is to grow to be a true democracy, you can't shut out any group. Those of the "taliban idealogy" with clean hands shouldn't be shut out.

Much as I disagree with this line of Islamic culture, I agree with phreak.

We just can't impose our standards and values on others. They have to come to their own terms in their own way in their own time.

...BUT - I remain concerned that the same corporate hands are pulling the strings in the same way they have always done. And setting up repressive regimes. For the same reasons. Remember - they're the ones who created the Taliban in the first place, through the auspices of the US government....

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just as the KKK or the Black Panthers or any other radical group is allowed to exist in a democracy... so shall the taliban. This is the basis of freedom of speech and a free press. Limiting free speech, limits your own. Phreak of nature is in the right. (Even though he did squelch my freedom of speech on this board once already)

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinja
Limiting free speech, limits your own. Phreak of nature is in the right.

Except - the CIA and US government DID create the Taliban, and put it in power.

...How free can anyone be when they're standing alone against dictators and corporations and billion dollar bankrolls?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wrong! The Misinterpreted Koran & Islamic Fundamentalists created the Taliban. Bankrolling "pre-al Qaida" Mujihadeen didn't "create" the Taliban. The Mujihadeen went to Afghanistan to fight the atheists who invaded Afghanistan. The CIA aided in the Mujihadeen's cause.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Wrong! The Misinterpreted Koran & Islamic Fundamentalists created the Taliban. Bankrolling "pre-al Qaida" Mujihadeen didn't "create" the Taliban. The Mujihadeen went to Afghanistan to fight the atheists who invaded Afghanistan. The CIA aided in the Mujihadeen's cause.

Hmmm. Not to put to fine a point on it.

But...

How free can anyone be when they're standing alone against dictators and huge corporations and billion dollar bankrolls?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
From what I gather from this, the amnesty/reconciliation program being offered was initiated by the Afghanistan government last year and not by the U.S., though of course, it does have the support of the U.S.

KABUL Some senior Taliban members have taken up an amnesty offer made last year by the Afghan government, the U.S. ambassador said Monday.

Zalmay Khalilzad declined to give numbers or the names of those he said had abandoned their support for the Islamic insurgency but said he was "very pleased" with the progress.

"There has been a positive response," Khalilzad told a news briefing, referring to the amnesty offer. "Quite a number of people associated with the Taliban have taken advantage of it already and are living in their areas -- they've come in.

Asia, U.S. Envoy Says Senior Taliban Take Up Amnesty Offer

And these 17+ articles backing this from Google:
Taliban ready for reconciliation

seekerof

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This shouldn't be shocking or surprising. This happens anytime regimes get overthrown. Look at post WW-II germany. You cannot just kill off or disregard a large class of people because of political affiliation. I'm sure the taliban had members who were basically civil servants, and had nothing to do with ideology or violence.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

(Even though he did squelch my freedom of speech on this board once already)

I don't kill stories unless they are duplicates of existing stories. I believe this is what you are talking about. I don't practice bias, and have even been known to applaud those with differing opinions then my own. Just ask AceOfBase.

top topics

join