It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad language used by/against members!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
ATS has changed for the worse. If I want profanity, arguing, meanness and false information, I'll go spend time with my family in Texas.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Just the other day I was accused of being snippy when I pointed out that a state was larger than a city.

What seems to have changed is the expectation that a person negative. If there was a positive outlook by the reader, then the writer wouldn't be mistaken. There could be a proper discussion and understanding.

Edit to add : That's a fallacy. There have been studies done showing intelligent people swear more than the Bible thumpers.

Here's a great book to read about it.
en.m.wikipedia.org...#:_Word_Taboo_and_Protecting_Our_First_Amendment_Liberties
Part of the problem is communication over the net can be misleading, sometimes you can't tell if you're being talked to or talked at(down to). That can have people that experience it a lot or seemingly think they do react quicker to think it's an offensive reply.

Though, the study you shared doesn't seem that off. Surely swearing can also be used agenda wise, it controls the narrative, throwing off the conversation.

If I recall correctly the only time I swore on here because I was tired of a snarky member attacking people for no reason, so figured to reply as they would. Plus,what i used was a "light" swear due that it's a user name here that the member has been allowed to keep.

The worst I've seen here was a threat that included swearing, mods took care of it quickly but wow people are passionate about some subjects apparently enough to go off the hook including threats.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

You forgot to say "Stay off my lawn!" while threatening to wash some mouths out with soap.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That made me laugh. Have you looked at my username?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziggypogo

You forgot to say "Stay off my lawn!" while threatening to wash some mouths out with soap.

Just for you!!

"Stay off my lawn you damn kids".

I do have a sense of humour.........I think?..............Well, maybe sometimes!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Edit to add : That's a fallacy. There have been studies done showing intelligent people swear more than the Bible thumpers.

Never met a "bible thumper' but I assume you mean People who have a belief and respect for the ancient texts that tell us of our creator.
I have met a lot of very intelligent people in my life and not one threw swear words around in public. When I was young through the farm hands and 3rd-grade grads who worked the land did swear up a storm, but in those days even they did not do so in mixed company, families, and children.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I agree with you, some people seem to forgotten that ATS is meant to be a family environment and can be accessed by anyone. ATS should be leading by example and that things that are discussed on ATS are taken serious and spoken about like adults, and not a bunch of chest thumping school kids/foul mouthed thugs who's only way of making a point is shouting and screaming louder than the last person. In company I use language that's appropriate for that moment and for the people that are around me.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I believe that words have power. Therefor silencing those words will also have power.

I also grew up with a single father which I'm told is very rare for my age. So, I didn't get shhh'd at home only outside the home. It's made an impact on me certainly.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The cycle is now complete. Thanks for humoring me. May you have curse free days and foul language free nights.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Ive reported a few. There's nothing wrong with it. People get out of hand sometimes, including me. Ive never gotten upset about my post being removed. I habe had way more removed than I reported. But sometimes, not often, people cross a line with me.

Lol at whoever complained about "censorship". Ah it was "aperfectenemy" (to humanity? Heh.heh..). There's always glp if you dont like "censorship". Thats basically the only major difference between ATS and GLP. We have a more elaborate and civilized TnC, whereas they allow anything. Thats what you get with "No censorship man, its total freedom bro!"

Without civility, manners, rules, "censorship", nothing would get done.

There are times you might Want to go goof around with a teenager's mentality... but usually I want to go around other adults in an environment where real work can get done.

Ive probably had more posts removed than you. But I wont call it censorship. Censorship is generally something committed by a governmental entity... What happens here at ATS is called "respecting others' property otherwise they may not allow you to continue using it. The world wasnt just created with an ATS built in. Someone had to come up with the idea and create it. A lot of work was presumably put into it.

If I work hard to build a house, Im not going to be very happy if I allow guests to use it and come to find out they have not been respecting the hoyse i worked hard to build, I may ask them to leave, and refrain from inviting them to future events at my house that I worked hard to build.

The guys who built this house are pretty cool though.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I think you could count on one hand the amount of times I've clicked the little green man or reported a post. ATS does have Mods', but I think if members took the time to have a quick glance over there post before replying, it would benefit all of us (and help the Mods out).
I wasn't going to name other sites, these are just places to troll and swear at other posters instead of discussing a difference of opinion like adults with something serious to talk about, there are plenty out there.
When the "UFO" vid made the news all across the worlds media, I was chuffed when ATS was referenced by a few mainstream sites and it made me think how other sites didn't stand a chance of being mentioned because of the state and quality of there posts, but the last year or so ATS has started to decline in civility and respect for its fellow posters.

edit on 10-1-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I believe that words have power. Therefor silencing those words will also have power.

I also grew up with a single father which I'm told is very rare for my age. So, I didn't get shhh'd at home only outside the home. It's made an impact on me certainly.

ATS is a place to discuss issues of interest per forum. I can't see any place for hurtful or harmful or low words in a discussion. What kind of power in such a discussion would be a good thing? True the words we are talking about give young people the "illusion" of power. As we mature we can clearly see that is a falsity.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I went and spent some time thinking about your argument.
I was thinking what power does a word such as f@ and mother@ and all the rest have really in a constructive argument to sway another? They are all negative words.

Where do we find a lot of the language use? Movies like Bruce Willis's Die Hard and others.
What is the language used to convey in an argument? Isn't it mostly to show the person is serious enough about their position to be violent over it, or convince others of this even if they would not become violent?

The power to sway another's position, however? We find posters on ATS who regularly have a position argued so well we are impressed to rethink ous. Now I think over these posters and find they have in common a lack of swear words or any directed assault behavior.

If we attend a learning function we don't expect this language so maybe some come here to spat or create a Facebook like function and not to learn and discover, or contemplate the odd and the unknown. Or to gain insight and understanding as in the Political areas.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i've had a few posts removed for manners violations -- and they were truly vulgar, too. with a good vocabulary you don't have to use asterisks to evade the censors because you can paint a truly vile picture with other words, hehe.

but i don't see the harm in an occasional swear word. we all express ourselves with our own particular palettes. if that kind of thing really makes your eyeballs burn, you must limit yourself very carefully to avoid exposure!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

The other member's name isn't even masked as bish is but I was the one swearing.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
The mods however, have not grown...

Not true. When I first joined BFFT was known as MediumMuscularFurryTexan.

Maybe more like Medium Lumpy Fuzzy Texan

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Maybe more like Medium Lumpy Fuzzy Texan

No one can fault you for chowing down on all that glorious asada you prepare.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I've got a smoking/curing meat thread to add. But Erik just did one recently, so ill hold off for a bit.

In the meantime, ill just keep accumulating pictures of the bacon, back bacon, pastrami, etc.

Ill be smoking a back bacon tonight.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Between those two thread you could shut off the ATS.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I've got a smoking/curing meat thread to add. But Erik just did one recently, so ill hold off for a bit.

In the meantime, ill just keep accumulating pictures of the bacon, back bacon, pastrami, etc.

Ill be smoking a back bacon tonight.

Now those are some powerful words right there and not a snip, hashtag or expletive in site!!
edit on 11-1-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join