It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad language used by/against members!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Here comes the pink hats,what the hell we have to cater to sissy's that are quick to criticize and call names,but the minute they are given a dose of their same medicine they run crying,grow up,become an adult,this is reality

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I remember a time when you couldn't even spell out the word Marijuana on ATS. I may not agree with what many members have to say, but I'll die for their right to say it.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw I may not agree with what many members have to say, but I'll die for their right to say it.

Ummm...I won't..."die for their right to say it"...I mean...now that I'm an old fart and no longer in the military...

...they can go eff themselves...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

I do this- the bad language thing where I remove one letter and replace it with a symbol instead. You are right; that's not cool.

I grew up in such a strict fundamentalist religious home, and when I got out into the world on my own I examined my inherited beliefs and decided that some swear words weren't going to get me sent to eternal Hell after I die. Even though it's been years and years since I came to this conclusion, I still enjoy using swear words in appropriate company, as it feels like I'm standing up against the beliefs that were forced onto me. But you're right- ATS isn't really the appropriate place to be slinging 4-letter words around.

I'll make an effort to use better language here. Thank you for pointing this out.

Usually, you hear this kind of thing from the very young, they eventually grow up and see the wisdom of their Parents teachings and why they taught what they did.

Biblically I am sure you know you are wrong. Much is said there of using words and why we should not use certain words. How hard is it to just not use a few words? What kind of feeling comes with these words?

"But among you, there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather a thanksgiving" (Ephesians 5:3, 4).

What do people really mean when they use the "f-word"? What is it intended to communicate? How does it feel when someone says it to you? Is there any way to use the "f-word" to build others up? Does it ever benefit those who hear it? Of course not. In fact, it amounts to verbal abuse, and Jesus had some important things to say about the seriousness of that issue (see Matthew 5:22).

www.focusonthefamily.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I want to hit this topic one more time.

There is always the exception to things.

If someone said "I'm going to effing give you 3 million effing dollars" or someone said "holy s..t,a plane just hit the tower"
I think it is fair to say,that we will ignore the cuss words and focus on the point,which is 3 million dollars and the tower that just got hit.

If you are focusing on cuss words than you are missing the point.
However,class goes a long way.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
a reply to: TimHeller

But this isn't a nanny state, its a privately owned website with rules.

It is privately owned, but not by you. Yet you seem hell-bent on telling other people how they ought to act here. One of the cardinal rules of a forum is this: "Let the moderators moderate." And you are NOT a moderator. If you are so easily triggered, offended, and horrified at all the blasphemy here, push the damn button and see what happens. A moderator will surely look into the issue, but that is no guarantee anything will be done. If you develop a reputation for constant complaints, I can pretty well guarantee nothing will be because you become part of the problem. We discuss all the problems of the world here, some of them very serious. Your one complaint is people using substitute letters to get around the automatic "Bad Word" censor bots. My but your priorities are so relevant. The Bottom Line here is this: Stop worrying about other people's behavior here and concentrate on your own. You can start by not wasting our time on this BS.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
First of all I cuss, like Melanie Griffin. Not at you, just in my words to you. I'm usually overly sensitive about not wanting to hurt others feelings online.

Now my opinion : People that complain about how something is said don't have any other way to object. The last time I saw this issue come up, we were told the profanity rule was to allow this site to get past work firewalls. Therefore the qbert method of speaking follows the intent of not the perceived letter of the T&C.

#?!& off with your censorship.

It was different in the past, the People on this site were more intellectual and they answered with intelligent reasoning instead of quick snaps and snips. Even subjects that were perhaps considered ridiculous they still endeavored to seek the truth without ridicule.
The site because of this became a well-respected place for discussion as opposed to the others of the type because of the lack of rude behavior and distracting language which placed it on a truly adult level, the others and the word use is juvenile.

Do you People not see and understand the crude language is a teenage thing born of the need for attention, to feel older, to sound tough and not an adult way to communicate.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You can start by not wasting our time on this BS.

I always love this response from so many people
those who are dragged screaming onto a thread to waste their time! Ha!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Kurokage

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: KansasGirl

I do the same but i would never use them against an ATS member. In fact i never did. I just hate censorship in general. People who swear are just more real to me as the ones who avoid swearing at all costs. It's silly but nah f#ck it.

See it's this kind of response that I'm talking about, why is it big and clever to sound so foul mouthed!?!?!

Swears are often used as a means of intensification. Think of them as the fluid Movie Music of conversation. Some people can't tell the difference between an insult & an intensified point. And in all honesty, that's not my f#ing problem to worry about.

My first real laugh of the day.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

In their defense, some posters are inarticulate.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

But I purposely posted this in the rant forum to get this of my chest, I haven't used the "rant" forum before but just like you I'm entitled to my opinion and air it if I see fit on a privately owned forum that allows it and isn't against its T&Cs.

edit on 8-1-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

You can start by not wasting our time on this BS.

I always love this response from so many people
those who are dragged screaming onto a thread to waste their time! Ha!

That was a great response to someone who seems to think the world wide web is there domain only!!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Anyway, have a read of this VERY SHORT article.

FOREWARNING: Some profanity included.

New York Books: Ode to a four letter word

Perhaps some perspective is necessary.

“Unfortunately the author calls upon profanity. That alone is worth a one-star deduction.”

“I do not think the author should have used profanity.”

“I removed a star for profanity.”

Shame we can't give or not give stars, hey?

And perhaps the best example therein:

Writers don’t use expletives out of laziness or the puerile desire to shock or because we mislaid the thesaurus. We use them because, sometimes, the four-letter word is the better word—indeed, the best one.

In The Debt to ­Pleasure, John Lanchester provides an astute breakdown of three words that, at first, might seem interchangeable. “Compare,” he writes, “the implication of mismanagement, of organization going wrong, in the Gallic debacle with the candidly chaotic, intimate quality of the Italian fiasco, or the blokishly masculine and pragmatic (and I would suggest implicitly reversible and therefore, in its deep assumptions, optimistic) American f*ck-up.”

edit on 8-1-2018 by Jonjonj because: ATS proving the op's point

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I see you are from great britian which many consider to be a nanny state! and if you looked at my photo which i believe is on my facebook that is my girlfriend! i dont recall putting a photo here! you obviously dont get the humorous aspect of my post!
vugarity can be used to enhance a statement or an idea! i dont believe i violated any ATS rules! and you should have concidered that some would take the wee wee to use a British euphimism! I would not use any vulgarity aganst any member and i can asure you i cringe when i hear those words in front of children and sensitive people! i was 11 years or so when i got George Carlin's album Class Clown which had the routine 7 words you could'nt say on Tv! rant over
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: spelling correction

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Just the other day I was accused of being snippy when I pointed out that a state was larger than a city.

What seems to have changed is the expectation that a person negative. If there was a positive outlook by the reader, then the writer wouldn't be mistaken. There could be a proper discussion and understanding.

Edit to add : That's a fallacy. There have been studies done showing intelligent people swear more than the Bible thumpers.

Here's a great book to read about it.
en.m.wikipedia.org...#:_Word_Taboo_and_Protecting_Our_First_Amendment_Liberties
edit on 8-1-2018 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2018 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Well, with me you get the warts n all, I type here like I speak IRL - sometimes it's not pretty, but it's human nonetheless. I don't, however, focus on individual members with name calling/bad language when on the boards, my comments are more generalized so I can offend as many people as possible.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TimHeller

I see you are from great britian which many consider to be a nanny state! and if you looked at my photo which i believe is on my facebook that is my girlfriend! i dont recall putting a photo here! you obviously dont get the humorous aspect of my post!
vugarity can be used to enhance a statement or an idea! i dont believe i violated any ATS rules! and you should have concidered that some would take the wee wee to use a British euphimism! I would not use any vulgarity aganst any member and i can asure you i cringe when i hear those words in front of children and sensitive people! i was 11 years or so when i got George Carlin's album Class Clown which had the routine 7 words you could'nt say on Tv! rant over

I was talking about your avatar pic and you changed it? See how easily you are offended by comments, I try and take the time to use words that don't offend and treat people how i want to be treated. We don't have to agree on anything but I can still respect you, we seem to be losing that on ATS lately.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I respect your warts and all. Thanks for the comments

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

im not offended ! i can't see peoples avitars and i had forgot about that picture of me! i have nothing to hide and i follow live and let live! my original comment was sarcasim and you took it wrong i believe! you can always ignore those words! i may be a newbe member but i've been reading here for 10 years at least , yeah so what right! look get over it! I agree that things seem different maybe to much political differences! no disrespect was intended
i just didnt like that picture and it was time for a change! i had not seen that pic since the day i became a member! is'nt the new one cooler?
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: added and removed words

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join