It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad language used by/against members!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I didn't know where else to post this, or whether to except that this is the general state of peoples feelings and use of language these days. I have been a member of our great ATS community for a long time and a daily lerker of the forums since before I joined back in 2006. My interests have changed and broadened, and I have also gained incredible insight into some great stories/theories because of fellow members.

So to my point.........The use of bad language and that some members seem to think it's ok to call someone something but by removing the odd vowel that its fine and dandy to do so.
I'm seeing this more and more and also the general use of these types of words on this forum in a "normal" post that allows and even promotes a "family" environment. I think/feel members need to take a breath and do a "sense" check when writing a reply or posting in a thread, I know how easy it is to get angry with a post or comment especially if you feel that a comment is aimed at you and want to have a go back. I've come close myself in the past but have managed to maintain some decorum.
I know that members have different spiritual/religious/scientific/political views and some times being from different places in the world can alter our point of view too, but we are all members of a great site and that site bought us together looking for an alternate view on a subject in the first place. That's what makes us all similar no matter what makes us different. So can we please re-read the T&C's of this great site and treat each other with some dignity even when we don't agree with each other.
edit on 8-1-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

You could click the icon of a green guy under their avatar and alert the post to the mods.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
luckily, there is already a solution to this. I think you know what it is. There is a magnitude of order greater volume of posts, threads, and posters since your day of joining. The mods however, have not grown in number to keep up with it. You have to do your part and alert posts so they can see it and remove it.

They just do not have the manpower to read page 13 of thread 20,082 in a specific forum to see a one line insult or intentional bypassing of the censor. You got to do your part and help them see it with an alert.

I agree, civil discourse is now the exception, and not the rule here. While I have reached the point of using foul language at posters a handful of times before, I have done so with a private message. I just make sure not to make it abusive, only to get my point across.

I mean, honestly to get me to that point on an internet discussion forum, somebody would really have had to say just some outrageously ignorant horse manure.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I do this- the bad language thing where I remove one letter and replace it with a symbol instead. You are right; that's not cool.

I grew up in such a strict fundamentalist religious home, and when I got out into the world on my own I examined my inherited beliefs and decided that some swear words weren't going to get me sent to eternal Hell after I die. Even though it's been years and years since I came to this conclusion, I still enjoy using swear words in appropriate company, as it feels like I'm standing up against the beliefs that were forced onto me. But you're right- ATS isn't really the appropriate place to be slinging 4-letter words around.

I'll make an effort to use better language here. Thank you for pointing this out.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
The mods however, have not grown...

Not true. When I first joined BFFT was known as MediumMuscularFurryTexan.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm sorry yall.

I'll stopping using the word snip.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I do the same but i would never use them against an ATS member. In fact i never did. I just hate censorship in general. People who swear are just more real to me as the ones who avoid swearing at all costs. It's silly but nah f#ck it.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
ahhh this whole thread is a snipping snip written by a useless snip about a snipping topic that quite honestly I couldn't give two flying snips about. I am fed up with these stupid, pointless snips plaguing this site with all of their usual sniping snip sniped snapped bull snap.

SNIPPERS!!!!

edit on 8-1-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Thanks guys

I was unsure what kind of response I'd get and really appreciate the nice comments!!
I know the "report" button is there but felt like I'd be pressing it several times a day when certain news stories appear/are posteed and I felt like I needed to get it "of my chest" so to speak.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This is supposed to be a place where people discuss conspiracies yet some people take it so personal when you challenge the beliefs they hold. We sit on the side and observe things and bring discrepancies to light. The thing is that if we all thought sensibly here and we actually uncovered all the truths and exposed all the lies, the government would probably shut this site down. Or big businesses who profit my our ignorance and beliefs in their products or services would hire trolls and shills to cause us to lose our perspective and fear the uncovering of their trickery and deceptions.

Most of the businesses in this country are not evil, their management is just stuck in belief in things that are not really real. People can often not comprehend the truth or rationality of things either. The deception is coming at us from every direction, misinformation based on capitalized partial truths is believed to be truth. A lot of policies and practices in society and government and religion were designed to keep civility, the reason for the rule is sometimes different than most people believe, the rule is necessary even though it was supposedly created for a different reason, a reason that society might not have approved of at the time because it was different years ago. So people argue about things which distracts them from uncovering the real reason these things were implemented in history. It seems that history is set aside and people think we are better than our ancestors. We are not, our ancestors were just as we are, the young were hormone driven, now, that has increased into the older people because of changes in our diet. So older people today are still hormoned up and arguing about stupid things.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

I do the same but i would never use them against an ATS member. In fact i never did. I just hate censorship in general. People who swear are just more real to me as the ones who avoid swearing at all costs. It's silly but nah f#ck it.

See it's this kind of response that I'm talking about, why is it big and clever to sound so foul mouthed!?!?!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

this whole thread is a snipping snip written by a useless snip about a snipping topic that quite honestly I couldn't give two flying snips about.

You really just said that.

Bookmarking and quoting for future use.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
F ya! Lets just sugarcoat all the snip with BS euphemisms, and the whole effing world ill be saved.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Thank you for you reply. Trust me, I know a lot of the words I'm talking about and I'm definately no Angel, but I just try and post without having to resort to swearing, I feel like posting on ATS is like talking at a town meeting, and if i want to be heard and treated with some respect, I should lead by example.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

See it's this kind of response that I'm talking about, why is it big and clever to sound so foul mouthed!?!?!

Swears are often used as a means of intensification. Think of them as the fluid Movie Music of conversation. Some people can't tell the difference between an insult & an intensified point. And in all honesty, that's not my f#ing problem to worry about.
edit on 1/8/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
ahhh this whole thread is a snipping snip written by a useless snip about a snipping topic that quite honestly I couldn't give two flying snips about. I am fed up with these stupid, pointless snips plaguing this site with all of their usual sniping snip sniped snapped bull snap.

SNIPPERS!!!!

Very funny, that's a very mature post, bet ya feel really good now!!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

SNIPPERS!!!!

Very funny, that's a very mature post, bet ya feel really good now!!

Snip yeah!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thanks guys

I was unsure what kind of response I'd get and really appreciate the nice comments!!
I know the "report" button is there but felt like I'd pressing it several times a day when we certain news stories appeared and I felt like I need to get it "of my chest" so to speak.

Ummm...NEVER...use that alert button...

I got a temp post ban because the first and only times I've ever used it...(twice in one thread)...never again after that...

Besides...I'm of the opinion that we're all adults here...if someone says something snarky to me...then I unload on them with kinder...gentler recriminations that usually keep me off the Mods radar screen...

Usually...

My sarcastic humor does get me in trouble occasionally...Okay...frequently...but it's all good...

Edit to add:..."bad language"..is considered a sign of intelligence these days...

So EFF it...and let the profanity flow...

YouSir
edit on 8-1-2018 by YouSir because: I effing wanted to...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

But it is against the terms and conditions of the site, maybe you should re-read it sometime!!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join