It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump lawyers hoping to avoid Mueller interview with signed document claiming innocence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

They just want to get his take on events we know have occurred and possibly on others we don't know about. It's not a trial. It's an investigation.

Casey Anthony's lawyer didn't let her testify because of her reputation for lying. He probably made a very smart move. But he could not keep the police from questioning her as long as he was present. Of course by then she was also under arrest.

I have some interesting archives for when he pleads the fifth.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Yes they all do. Emphasis on all.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

He's not accused of anything yet. What was Hillary accused of when they questioned her ( in person face to face btw) ? It was an investigation then and an investigation now.
She didn't have her lawyers jockeying for position before she did.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

So when Mueller says he wants to and trump refuses what?

What happens then? They just say oh ok and shut down?
I think they can then subpoena him. Then ...then he gets to calm up and plead the fifth. LOL.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

What was Hillary accused of when they questioned her ( in person face to face btw) ? It was an investigation then and an investigation now.

I think they can then subpoena him. Then ...then he gets to calm up and plead the fifth. LOL.

They are probably well-informed as to what the conditions are under which he is willing to have a conversation. Law enforcement generally avoids wasting their time, so if they won't meet the conditions, there's nothing more to be done. They can't drag him in unless they are ready to charge him. If he was in custody they could ask him questions all day and he could not stop them, but even then he just has to sit there and smile.
The special prosecutor could probably have him subpoenaed in a related case, but again even then he wouldn't have to answer anything unless they offered him immunity. Since the goal of the witch hunt is to find something/anything, I'd guess that's unlikely.

So what happens then? They go do their jobs as investigators and investigate and try to build a case with actual evidence. It's not the defendants job to help them.

Re: HRC, you can bet Hillary had a team of lawyers with her advising her what questions not to answer, including at least one who was a possible codefendant, which is ridiculous. I'm certain the terms and conditions were dictated by her lawyers of the meeting regarding the scope of questions, and possibly the absence of a recording (again basically unheard of). It was negotiated ahead of time, just like this, so I'm not sure why that's the gold-standard for you.

*shrug*
edit on 8-1-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Eshel

Hey Eschel, your posts always are coherent and reasonable.

From my understanding perjury during a deposition is rarely prosecuted. Until some formal charges are brought against Trump who knows whats on Muellers mind

I appreciate that, but I'm sure "coherent and reasonable" can be debated lol

It's a fair point that it's rarely prosecuted. However, with the precedence being set by Clinton being impeached for perjury (one of the 2 charges), it stands to reason they would try to charge Trump with it if they can. It is curious how at this point he would be most likely facing the same 2 charges as Bill but about different subjects. (perjury and obstruction). I have my opinions on the matter and think he may be facing some trouble before this is all over and done with. To what extent remains to be seen. It's hard to get a proper temperature of these things as the investigations are so tight lipped.

I do predict some acceleration this year toward an end. I don't think it will take as long as Clinton or Nixon's investigations. But we have to admit, regardless of the outcome, this presidency will be talked about in poli-sci classes for a long, long time.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

originally posted by: whywhynot
a reply to: antiantonym

That was Star’s opinion. I stated my opinion. And before you dismiss my opinion I’ll remind you that Star has one vote just as I do and at the end of the day this is all about votes.

So do you care to tell me what crime Trump is being accused of committing? If you know of one please site your source.

Diane Feinstein: "...That's obstruction of justice."

Here's an article on the topic:

time.com...

www.youtube.com...

So you are saying that Senator Feinstein has charged Trump with Obstruction of Justice. I guess that I am unaware of her ability to bring official federal charges. Could you enlighten me?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

He's not accused of anything yet. What was Hillary accused of when they questioned her ( in person face to face btw) ? It was an investigation then and an investigation now.
Hllaay was accused of mishandling classified documents. Suspected and accused but not charged.

The difference is after a year of investigation they haven’t been able to establish a reason o believe that a law was broken. With Hillary the FBI had tons of direct evidence that a law was broken. Huge difference.

edit on 8-1-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

(post by carewemust removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Why can't he be subpoenaed as a witness?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

That was Star’s opinion. I stated my opinion. And before you dismiss my opinion I’ll remind you that Star has one vote just as I do and at the end of the day this is all about votes.

So do you care to tell me what crime Trump is being accused of committing? If you know of one please site your source.

Diane Feinstein: "...That's obstruction of justice."

Here's an article on the topic:

time.com...

www.youtube.com...

So you are saying that Senator Feinstein has charged Trump with Obstruction of Justice. I guess that I am unaware of her ability to bring official federal charges. Could you enlighten me?

This is the question you asked me earlier:

"So do you care to tell me what crime Trump is being accused of committing? If you know of one please site your source."

I gave you a complete answer that was accurate and as clear as can be. You replied with...

"So you are saying that Senator Feinstein has charged Trump with Obstruction of Justice."

You only asked for an accusation with a source. I gave you that, so you changed "accused" to "charged." Then you brought up an irrelevant issue about federal charges. Feinstein is investigating for a possible impeachment, and that trumps federal charges for a POTUS.
edit on 8-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

She was not accused of anything. Just stop. Her position then is trumps position now. No difference sorry you don't agree but themselves the facts.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

From my understanding perjury during a deposition is rarely prosecuted.

Tell that to Paul Manafort.
Lying to the FBI is a whole other ballgame.
edit on 182018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Seems to me its all a moot point. Given enough time Trump will self-destruct .

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Why can't he be subpoenaed as a witness?

He can. He can't make him answer anything that might be incriminating though, so he is back at square one if/since that's his end game.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Eh, it's usually a fluff charge of the sort that the prosecutor offers to drop in exchange for a plea bargain.

Or in a politically charged case where you desperately need a conviction to make hay and get your name in the papers and don't have much else...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: hoss53
Seems to me its all a moot point. Given enough time Trump will self-destruct .

Haha, given enough time Tump will appointment at least 150 conservative federal judges to lifetime appointments and probably another 3 Supreme Court Justices.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Trump on Saturday said he had nothing to hide.

“Just so you understand, there’s been no collusion, there’s been no crime, and in theory everybody tells me I’m not under investigation. Maybe Hillary [Clinton] is, I don’t know, but I’m not,” he told reporters at Camp David.

“But we have been very open. We could have done it two ways. We could have been very closed, and it would have taken years. But you know, sort of like when you’ve done nothing wrong, let’s be open and get it over with,” he said.

“Because, honestly, it’s very, very bad for our country,” he added. “It’s making our country look foolish. And this is a country that I don’t want looking foolish. And it’s not going to look foolish as long as I’m here.”

Due Process is Alive and Well in America Contrary to a Political Liberals Belief Otherwise.......

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Ah pleading the fifth.... what’s good for dems is good enough for republicans right?

Or can only dems envoke the fifth? Come to think of it they have had a lot of practice...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Exactly why you don’t talk to them without a lawyer... unless you’re Hillary that is.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join