It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OPRAHS epic speech calls out Hollywood Sexual Harrasment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

'I want all the girls watching here to know that a new day is on the horizon. When that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say 'Me too' again.'

Winfrey's speech was widely praised with some calling 'it one of the greatest American speeches' as others urged her to make a run for President in 2020.

Oprah has given a powerful speech about the exposed Hollywood Sex Scandal and subsequent #metoo hashtag. As a woman in the workforce a couple years ago I worked in a male-dominated role. I was grabbed on the butt by a co-worker and though it was witnessed by customers and other staff members, the man stayed in his job. And with bills to pay, I stayed in mine. My female manager told me that "he's just from the older generation. He didn't mean anything by it".

I love men. I'm not a feminist. I am happy that the cultures changing so that women don't have to face the same sexual assaults that were once commonplace many years ago.

Oprah went on to recall the abuse story related to a woman named Recy Taylor who was raped in 1944 by six white males as she walked home from church in Alabama. 'The men who tried to destroy her were never persecuted. Recy Taylor died 10 days ago, just shy of her 98th birthday,' Winfrey said.

'She lived as we all have lived, too many years in a culture broken by brutally powerful men. For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the power of those men. 'But their time is up. Their time is up. 'I just hope that Recy Taylor died knowing that her truth, like the truth of so many other women who were tormented in those years, and even now tormented, goes marching on.

link

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Calling out harassment!? What about the blanket insinuation during the awards that ALL MEN are guilty! Now that's some harassment! Did they rail against the guilty? No, they joked that in the actress category they eliminated all the men from consideration and later joked that men would be giving half of their salary to women to balance things out. Full on blanket male HATRED! Not full on guilty hatred!!??
edit on 7-1-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Oprah use to love Weinstein.

Now she don't.

Oprah use to love Trump.

Now she don't.

I can't support such a divided individual.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Oprah couldn't win the Presidency even if she put a gift under everyones seat.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

"You get a car! You get a car!"

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

edit on 8-1-2018 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I understand calling out certain activities as un acceptable, but how do they not see they are serving it up as reverse discrimination!? I know of women who harassed men and women too. It's not a men only thing. Not by a long shot. Plenty of the top A-list actresses that worked with Harvey did nothing or said nothing until it became public. In essence aiding his hidden activities.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
women are becoming men and men are becoming women in this new age "of everyone is weird".

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

And if you are on Facebook, you get to choose from 52 different genders. I picked unicorn :-)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I could use that new car!
edit on 8-1-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

I get what you're saying I'm redpilled with the whole gender war going on and discrimination against men

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

A Solid by You to pass this on,
but a complete Failure on the behalf
of Rich,Powerful,and Influential Women
in Hollywood (and beyond) to accept not
only the "terms and conditions" of this
shall we call it "beneficial work exchange",
but to turn a guilty blind eye to it.

As such, it is quite obvious to the onlooking
witness that many of these women completely
accepted the arrangement and were more than willing
to make the exchange for fame,fortune,and stardom.
Their silence attests to this fact.

Now it is time to consider the "Rejects".
The REAL women who made the choice to
not be degraded. The Real Stars.
The Real Talent.
The Real Gifted People who were crossed
off the list,,,,

Because they had INTEGRITY.

Where are all the self proclaimed
"Champions of Women" now,
and where were they then?
Rich and Spineless: www.youtube.com...
S&F

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I am definitely a supporter of the sentiment, but I don't need to hear it from Hollywood. They don't have any special sauce to speak on important issues anymore than anyone else. This whole 'look at my cause dujour' crap is getting really tired and I for one am done paying attention.

ETA: I fully support what you are trying to do OP, just not Oprah and her Hollywood elite. Please don't take it personally I generally love your posts.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher
I understand calling out certain activities as un acceptable, but how do they not see they are serving it up as reverse discrimination!? I know of women who harassed men and women too. It's not a men only thing. Not by a long shot. Plenty of the top A-list actresses that worked with Harvey did nothing or said nothing until it became public. In essence aiding his hidden activities.

I have to say, that bothers me too. I can understand not saying anything before they were famous...Hollywood eats its young and they would have lost their shot, etc. I get that, more than most people.

But if you knew the guy was a rapey #weasel who can't possibly hurt your career anymore and who you know is STILL preying upon young actresses and making their lives hellish, why would you not use some of that clout and prestige you have now to help those women? Why would you not speak out and tell the world what a douchebag this guy is, so that he wouldn't be able to continue hurting other women?

And you're right. Plenty of men get sexually harassed, and even assaulted by women in positions of power over them, and it is largely dismissed...even though it has been reported for decades now. And yes, essentially indoctrinating their fan base with the idea that this behavior is exclusive to men, or even exclusive to heterosexuals for that matter, is irresponsible in the extreme.

I find it difficult to respect women who think this way. It bothers me as a woman to hear other women blaming men for things in general.

It's got the reek of victimhood all over it, which has nothing to do with feminism...it teaches women to be weak and needy, while believing that trash talking the opposite sex...their ostensible protectors...makes them sound strong and confident. It doesn't. It doesn't beget respect. It begets fear and loathing.

I love men. Men are awesome, as a general rule. Most of my close friends are male. And I can count on every one of them. Can't say that for most of my female homies.

There are douchebags of both sexes out there. Does that mean all men or all women are douches? No. So why teach your daughters that all men are inherently douches? Intelligent, balanced women who are proud of their feminine energy don't do that.

I think Oprah is just grandstanding. Creating a big, distracting splashola for the MSM...they're running out of fake news to grind out for the unwitting masses. But she's being irresponsible as hell, as are all these female role models, because she's pushing that garbage into the heads of young, impressionable women who truly listen to what she has to say. I used to be one of them. Lost respect for her a while back, though. Losing it for a whole lot more of the women I used to consider classy, intelligent and inspiring.

Sad times. Probably going to get even more sad, too.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You love my posts
shucks!

I felt the same with women like Angelina Jolie and Meryl Streep. It came out that they had warned young, nubile actresses to stay away from Weinstein and yet none of them had the courage to get up and say something. Many Hollywood actresses gave oscar speeches/&c deriding men and sexual assault culture and they put on their pussy hats and saluted Hilary but none of them pointed the finger and called out Weinstein for what they knew to be true.

I know it can be very hard for victims to come forward and speak out but those are confident , powerful women and they chose to keep it behind closed doors to not upset the Apple Cart. They were, in their own way complicant

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Thats awesome,

I've never experienced Sexual Commentary. I too love Men but holy crap, if a man grabbed my ass i'd # him up!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

I wish I could go back and deliver my boot to his ballsac but I'm a meek individual and I was in pure shock at the time.

One thing's for certain: The world would be a much better place if men and women could swap bodies for a week

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hey look, a black female with snakeoil to sell and Lefties are eating it up like candy. It will be like the good old days of passing out race cards like candy, feminist slogans and marches, so much nostalgia they forgot that it makes Trump win.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

Thats awesome,

I've never experienced Sexual Commentary. I too love Men but holy crap, if a man grabbed my ass i'd # him up!

Isn't that the idea, he grabs your attention to make you want to # him, up, down, it doesn't matter which way.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Swap bodies yeah.. No I couldn't imagine a penis attached to me for an hour let alone an entire # week. Screw that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join