It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do videos games destroy social development?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think they do, and also suck the life out of you, some games can anyways.

And ive grown up on nothing but video games myself.

what are your takes on video games getting more real and more entertaining?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yes, but think about it this way. Anything that you do alone in excess is going to take away from the development of a youth's social skills. Be it video games or tv or, Yes, even reading books.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Theres nothing wrong with computer games, yes there are games which could effect people in bad ways, but so could a person or a book.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
society came before video games.... if there are video games with pimps beating and murdering prostitutes, contract killers, etc. etc. its because they already exhisted in society to start with....

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
How very true. Video games can have an effect on some kids, how ever as Agent Mulder said on the X-files once, what if video games are actually an outlet for aggresion. For all we know video games are all that keep the MTV generation from bringing about the apocalypse.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It depends what you mean by "social development".

Maybe there are times when society needs more passive consumers and drones and automatons than it does free thinkers...

Are there any studies linking video games addiction and obesity?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well as far as obiseity goes video games probably are linked. However my hypothesis is that they are as much linked to obisiety as are books and movies.

If anything video games are the healthiest for your body out of those three. Allow me to explain, when reading a book you flip the pages and move your eyes, thats about all the physical exercise you get from them. Movies all you do is move your eyes and sometimes grab some popcorn. Video games involves the movement of the fingers which helps develop fine motor skills. Some good action packed games can also increase heart rate.

In any case I actually intend to test the health pros and cons of video games for my science fair project this year.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
As long as you maintain a job and a somewhat normal life I don't think videogames have any real negative impacts. I work 4 days a week from 9 to 2pm, two 3 hour nite classes, yet I consider myself an avid gamer. I might not get out as much as most people do, but when you spend all day either behind a desk talking to people on the phone or glued to a seat for a grueling 3 hours of boredom its a nice change to load up some THUG 2, San Andreas, or even Rise of Nations and enjoy getting away from the day-to-day crap that will drive you crazy.

Games 5 years ago most definately didnt encourage social interaction, but if you ask any game development house right now what the future of video gaming is, they will all tell you without doubt that multiplayer is the way to go. Just look at the titles released recently, online play is a feature of just about everything from sports games to racing and first person shooters. Its just more fun to kick other humans butts in games versus the computer controlled opponents. Then you get things like LAN games and Halo parties where people actually gather in the very same place to do the same things they do over the internet, just with less lag and more fun.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yea I guess if you don't let it suck the life out of you. I just know that with some people including me awhile back it can really
take up chunks of your day. I remember the times when everybody used to go outside to play real sports instead of playing video games.

The people im concerned for are spend countless hours upon hours a day on games and seem to live their life around games waiting for the next big game to come out. i used to be one of those people.

peace.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The way I see if if someone gets addicted to videogames its not any worse than addiction to anything else; it just shows that their personality is highly succeptible to forming addictions be it drugs, games, compulsive shopping, etc. We all got our vices I guess, mine just happens to also be my job(computers).

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Nah they used to say the same thing about tv and comics when i was a kid. If parents involved themselve and make sure that 80% of the games,tv and comics are tasteful and entertaining at the same time (20%crap casue come on we love crap)it should help spark imagination. OF course what worries me more is the fact that parents and children are less and less willing to go outside, they would rather watch a movie then go play catch. especially the past ten yrs. some say its a safety issue, Kidnapping ,UV rays, i don't now, but it's getting worse.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't care if a teenager is playing a game where they go around slicing the tongues out of little baby's mouths (man...I have such a destructive imagination) or prancing around tulip fields catching butterflies....

As long as they know the difference between reality and virtual reality, then the problem is solved...

As others have mentioned - Far too many excuses have been laid at the feet of the innovators and far less at the irresponsible parenting behaviors which are the true problem....

Perhaps a better rating system would work....I don't see problems banning certain games from stores that have a heavy influx of young gamers....But to deny me, a responsible gamer, the right to play whatever the hell I want on a system that I've paid generously for is unconstitutional....

In order for something to become corrupt, there first must be a seed planted in the mind of the victim....Allowing yourself to become so involved in any video game to the point where it physically and mentally corrupts you suggests to me that there are far worse problems going on at home or in that child's head that should be addressed....

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well I have a bit of a theory. You see I figured I'm an avid gamer who plays no sports, so I asked myself why?

Well looking back I remember I started to really get into games right after the soccer season of I believe 2000 was over. My team wasn't very supportive of my abilities as a player. Thats about when I gave up on team sports.

So my theory is that when kids reject other kids from physical sports, what do the rejects do? Without sports they need some sort of talent or hobby. So why not something that ranges from conquering galaxies to shredding your friends by way of minigun?

Anyhow thats just my theory on why video games are so popular.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
You don't necissarily have to be an athlete to be physical, I mean, you could excercise, but what I usually do is rollerblade to any place tha I go that isn't that far away.
Granted, some might consider rollerblading a sport, but I'm also into theatre. You can meet a lot of cool people in theatre. The thing is, I'm actually a junior in High school, and my friends and I play a lot of those so-called "Dangerous videogames," but I never see any of us doing anything really violent. Take it from one that is "Today's Youth."

[edit on 17-2-2005 by BlindLuck]

[edit on 17-2-2005 by BlindLuck]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
What? Video Games do not ruin your social development!

Now stay still while I enclose you in a block of ice with my lvl 75 Ice mage magic while I shoot you with my plasma gun!

please note sarcasm...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
" level 75 mage "

Yea ive actually played that game, and it takes about one year to get to that lvl, its incredibly time consuming.

I just think, from experience, that tv and video games were created for a distraction from God, and to consume alot of your time into that stuff instead of what we are on the earth for. And im
speaking as someone who would play 10 or more hours strait of video games non stop.

peace.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Substitute "ATS Forums" for "Video Games" at each mention in tTruth's original post and compare your reactions, LOL.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
ive been playing video games since i can remember and i am a perfectly normal freak that lives in a hovel with a strange wall that talks to me and the dustbin says he doesnt like being emptied

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think there were some links from games to obesity, but about social development? I don't know, that's a long shot.

I mean, let's put it this way:

I,

a. Play video games
b. am in good shape, and athletic and play sports from time to time.
c. have many good friends.

I guess it depends on the person's willingness, discipline, and resolve.

-wD

top topics

join