It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kate Steinle killer Zarate will be taken into custody by federal authorities on two new charges

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Nobody needs to be told that if the hammer slips while trying to manually lower it that it will fire. 

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE WARNING IS SAYING.

Question. Have you ever handled a firearm?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

No, that isn't what it is saying and yes, I have handled firearms although I don't have the experience Shamrock has.
edit on 7-1-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

No, that isn't what it is saying and yes, I have handled firearms although I don't have the experience Shamrock has.
You don't have the expierience that I have either.

Here, since you seem not to believe me, ask Shamrock or read this thread. I won't allow you to propogate disinformation about firearms on a forum who's motto is deny ignorance.

www.defensivecarry.com...#/topics/97730?page=1

but one of many responses...

Your sig can ONLY go bang if the trigger is pulled. Long as you keep your booger hook off the bangswitch, you'll be fine..

edit on 7-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler
You don't have the expierience that I have either.

I most certainly don't. But I can read and all I said is that the Sig warning says: "Manually lowering the hammer is dangerous and prevents full application of the pistol’s safety features.".

Not that it will fire but that it "prevents full application of the pistol’s safety features"

Here, since you seem not to believe me, ask Shamrock or read this thread. I won't allow you to propogate disinformation about firearms on a forum who's motto is deny ignorance.

Shamrock brought it up, what am I supposed to ask him? I think I'm seeing what he noticed.

Your sig can ONLY go bang if the trigger is pulled. Long as you keep your booger hook off the bangswitch, you'll be fine..

And, again, that isn't what that Sig warning is saying.

ETA: And might I add again, and I think Gothmog agrees, all of this is off topic. The guy was acquitted and he is going to be charged with two other (justice defying) charges.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Not that it will fire but that it "prevents full application of the pistol’s safety features" 

This means that pulling the trigger can fire the gun. Simple as that. Think about it..

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   

No, you think about it, everyone knows "pulling the trigger can fire the gun", you don't need to add a special warning for that.

If it is there it's because one of their other guns suffered a malfunction and since designs probably don't vary significantly, their other designs might also fail.

Even if it is just to cover their rear end, it may have given that jury enough reasonable doubt.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   

The warning is to instruct the owner to use the decocking lever instead of pulling the trigger and thumb the hammer down.

Simple as that, no amount of mental gymnastics will make your position correct.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Ok boss, like the other design didn't fail for that same reason, making the warning SOP.

Again, they still let the guy off. Maybe it wasn't because of that but because the ricochet was 80 feet away. Either way, what was this thread going to accomplish?

ETA: That is what Shamrock said, "The warning is to instruct the owner to use the decocking lever instead of pulling the trigger and thumb the hammer down." because of potential stuff.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   

What can you say? The gun obviously held him at humanpoint, forcing him to commit manslaughter. It wasn't HIS fault. He's obviously the victim of a hostage taking gun. Guns kill people, remember? /s

Crime lab tech testified that there's no way the weapon could've fired without the trigger being purposely squeezed and that there were no mechanical malfunctions, AT ALL. The safety implements are a decocking lever, firing pin safety, trigger bar disconnector, and safety intercept notch. The P239 has no history of accidental discharges and is not subject to any recalls.

It is a political sentence, they know the guy deserves to stay in jail but they were happy to piss on the rights of an innocent woman, only because Trump mention her couple of times. This is the so called progressive mindset that we should all learn from.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

What can you say? The gun obviously held him at humanpoint, forcing him to commit manslaughter. It wasn't HIS fault. He's obviously the victim of a hostage taking gun. Guns kill people, remember? /s

Yes, sarcastic but still hyperbole.

Crime lab tech testified that there's no way the weapon could've fired without the trigger being purposely squeezed and that there were no mechanical malfunctions, AT ALL. The safety implements are a decocking lever, firing pin safety, trigger bar disconnector, and safety intercept notch. The P239 has no history of accidental discharges and is not subject to any recalls.

Probably, that is why it is off-topic. I've said at at least three times, makes no difference.

It is a political sentence, they know the guy deserves to stay in jail but they were happy to piss on the rights of an innocent woman, only because Trump mention her couple of times. This is the so called progressive mindset that we should all learn from.

That is the power they were granted but would you rather have a single person ruling everything? Can you trust that arrangement?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Sweet! I’m glad you know what I really mean rather than what I actually say. That’s always a fun way to have conversations, focusing on what you can make up on the other person’s behalf while ignoring what they said.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Nobody needs to be told that if the hammer slips while trying to manually lower it that it will fire. 

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE WARNING IS SAYING.

Question. Have you ever handled a firearm?

No, what they’re saying is that decocking the firearm is the only way to ensure the hammer is blocked in the manner it’s supposed to be.

Always use the decocking lever to decock your SIG SAUER pistol. This is the only way to safely lower the hammer from the cocked position and prevent an accidental discharge. This warning applies to all pistols with decocking levers. The positive way to safely lower the hammer is by use of the decocking lever. Never lower the hammer by pulling the trigger and attempting to ease the hammer forward manually. Manually lowering the hammer is dangerous and prevents full application of the pistol’s safety features. The decocking lever is the only proper means of lowering the hammer and assuring that the hammer rests in the intercept notch. Again, DO NOT THUMB THE HAMMER DOWN: the consequence can be serious injury or death – only and ALWAYS use the decocking lever!

The highlights being that not using the decocking lever prevents the full application of safety features on the weapon, and the only way of ensuring the hammer is in the intercept notch.

Again, gonna go with what Sig says about their own products rather than what you think you know.

Bottom line: claim was made that it’s impossible for the gun to go off with the trigger being pulled. And that is true, under some circumstances. It is not true under others. My posting of that is not an exoneration of the shooter, nor a distortion of the facts of the case as presented in court. As I said the first time it was posted that a warrant had been issued for him, this is not justice for the deceased nor her family. The prosecutor did a pretty terrible job of presenting her case if she was somehow able to prove the shooter had the gun in his possession but couldn’t prove that, at a minimum, his handling of it was reckless.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Bottom line: claim was made that it’s impossible for the gun to go off with the trigger being pulled. And that is true, under some circumstances. It is not true under others.
The only way a Sig P239 goes bang is if you pull the trigger. No ifs ands or buts about it.
Humor me, what experience do you have with firearms?
Like not reading manuals online, but actual firearm experience.
You are making yourself look stupid in this thread.
You logic doesn't even make sense.

claim was made that it’s impossible for the gun to go off with the trigger being pulled. And that is true, under some circumstances. It is not true under others.

You know what?
Carry your Sig P239 around all day long cocked, it will not go off unless the trigger is pulled, capiche?

Stick around and argue more, you might just learn something.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You are all missing the point. This was an open and shut case of Involuntary Manslaughter. The Prosecutor never charged him with that. He charged him with Murder. The Jury was not allowed to find him guilty of lesser charges. It was Murder or nothing. They knew that they could not get a guilty verdict for Murder. With the political views out there the reasons are not hard to figure out.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

TextThe trial began on Oct. 23, 2017.

The jury had a number of choices to make. They could have gone with a second degree verdict, involuntary manslaughter or consider a first degree murder verdict.

abc7news.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I'm using my phone right now. When I get home I'll post a link to where I got this info. Don't always believe the news.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

This?

Jurors were given the option of convicting Garcia Zarate of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or involuntary manslaughter. However, there are two types of involuntary manslaughter — a purely accidental killing, which is a misdemeanor, and one with underlying criminal intent, a felony.

District Attorney George Gascón’s office, however, opted to give the jury the felony version of involuntary manslaughter, should it decide the Steinle killing wasn’t first- or second-degree murder.

www.sfchronicle.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

That must be why Sig says the only way to ensure a you don’t have a negligent discharge is to use the decocking lever then. Because not using it is the same as using it.

Or something.

edit on 7-1-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

That must be why Sig says the only way to ensure a you don’t have a negligent discharge is to use the decocking lever then. Because not using it is the same as using it.

Or something.

See, since you have no firearm experience, you are not understanding.

The negligent discharge they are talking about involves pulling the trigger whilst letting the hammer down with your thumb. Your thumb slips and bang. Do you understand now? There is only one way to make this firearm go bang, and it involves pulling the trigger. Capiche?

There is NO other way the gun goes off.

Carry it around all day in single action cocked mode, it won't go off unless you pull the trigger? Get it? The mex pulled the trigger, all there is too it. It was even testified to in court by an expert witness, do you think you know more than him by reading the firearm manual?

It's irrelevant as to if the gun was cocked or not. Do you know what the difference would be if the gun was cocked? Can you answer that simple question?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

See, since you have no firearm experience...

I think they let Shammy play with guns when he was in the military and once he got out, and because he demonstrated a depraved indifference to human life, they let him play with even more when he became a po-po.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join