It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's $1 billion Jupiter Probe Taking Unreal Photos of the Gas Planet

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
a reply to: wmd_2008

You don't understand the difference between 'literal' and figurative' do you? I understand now you are one of the sheep.

In order to insult me I must value your opinion

As you can see no one does

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

I am sure that I am not the only one that finds that posters who call others "sheep" tend to be the most gullible, credulous and ignorant people going. It's deeply ironic, really, and not a little sad.

edit on 11-1-2018 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Indeed, and going in the direction of that poster you are replying to there is a quote from "The Hangover" that is apt:

"You are literally too stupid to insult".

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Yes he is a little ray of darkness

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Stellar addition to the discussion.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You are more than welcome.

I can only aspire to one day perhaps coming close to your own towering intellect.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
a reply to: wildespace

You've managed entirely to avoid answering my question and have instead ventured off on tangents in an attempt to keep from answering the question.

I believe your main question throught all these posts was "what has NASA produced over these 60 years apart from pictures?" and I believe I answered your question satisfactory. But then it was you who ventured off with questions about useful versus wasteful science and black projects, so I'm not gonna get veered into those subjects. You asked what did NASA give us, and you got your answer - knowledge and science.

~~~

Trying to get the thread back on topic before we get told off by a moderator (but still as a topical reply to Outlier13), here's some latest science from Juno spacecraft: www.space.com...

Before NASA sent its Juno spacecraft to explore Jupiter, astronomers were "totally wrong" about much of what they thought they knew about the planet, the mission's principal investigator, Scott Bolton
[...]
"Our ideas were totally wrong about the interior structure, about the atmosphere, [and] even about the magnetosphere," Bolton said. Astronomers believed that Jupiter had either a very small and dense core, or perhaps no core at all. But data from Juno revealed that Jupiter has an enormous, "fuzzy" core that might be partially dissolved. This discrepancy between scientists' expectations and the data suggests that there's a lot we still don't know about giant gas planets, he explained.

And a few other discoveries mentioned in that article. Even those "pretty pictures" are giving the researchers new information, so they are also part of science.

During its first few close encounters with Jupiter, the spacecraft revealed strange clusters of cyclones raging around Jupiter's north and south poles. Juno is the first space mission to get a good look at the poles, and the mission's scientists did not expect them to look as weird and chaotic as they do, Bolton said. "Had someone shown me a picture of just the pole 10 years ago, I never would have guessed it was Jupiter."

All I can say is, good work NASA, keep it up!
edit on 12-1-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Indeed. "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
There's a thread at the Unmanned Spaceflight Forum, titled Juno Science Results, and the latest post has the summary of the talk by Juno mission's principle investigator:

• Cyclones circling Jupiter's north pole form an octagon, whereas the south pole shows a pentagon.
• Jupiter's magnetic field twice as strong as expected.
• More lightning than expected.
• Odd-numbered harmonics in gravitational field expected to be zero, but aren't.
• Impossible for one or two entry probes to provide the big picture. (Implications for future Saturn, etc. missions.)
• Aurorae somehow switch off at night.
• Great Red Spot has roots that reach much more deeply (>350 km) into atmosphere than zones and belts do.
• All heavy elements enriched (over solar) by same amount, except water is depleted. (Galileo Probe result?)

Overall: "Everything" we thought we knew about Jupiter's interior before Juno was wrong.

I note from IR images that most polar cyclones have swirling hot/cold centers, but three at south pole cold only.

As mentioned in previous releases:
• Larger, fuzzy core instead of small, compact one or none.
• River of gases rich in ammonia flowing from depths up to surface near equator.

Profoundly spectacular video showing a dive through the Great Red Spot:
www.youtube.com...

A long approach video shows Galileans orbiting "half" Jupiter for (several?) weeks.

My sense is that this talk seems to have contained more significant discoveries concerning one world than we've seen in a long time except maybe Pluto; that's rather stunning when one considers that this is the sixth mission dedicated to Jupiter, and moreover, that the mission isn't half over.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Still you divert. Let me sum it up for you. You believe NASA spends these massive sums of money on taking pretty pictures and analyzing space dust particle composition. I believe pretty pictures and the analyzing of space dust particles composition are asides to a bigger, yet undisclosed picture of what NASA truly does and has profoundly discovered.

Hence the reason for the question and how it was posed. Hence the reason why it so aptly applies to a site like ATS.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You still here?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Beautiful!

"I love the pictures of the poles. Anyone have any insight as to why it is much more blue there than other regions?"

I'm no expert, but probably has to do with the composition of the gases and dust in that area; the material absorbs the red and yellow spectra of visible light more than blue. Hence we see blue colors there.

Same reason for "red sky at night--sailor's delight." Weather patterns generally tend to move west to east. Dust in the atmosphere absorbs blues and yellows but not reds, so we sometimes see the sky as red during a sunset. Higher dust levels in the atmosphere also indicate dry conditions. That means dry conditions (higher pressure and clear skies) the following day...and clear sailing.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I like science but I find it disgusting how much money NASA gets to waste while everyone else in this country is being told there's no money for anything else and taxes need to go up to pay for basic stuff.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Wow i hope they make flatmaps of these to use in 3d design.
These are stunning!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I like science but I find it disgusting how much money NASA gets to waste while everyone else in this country is being told there's no money for anything else and taxes need to go up to pay for basic stuff.

NASA's budget is a small fraction of USA's total budget. A lot more of it is going to DoD and the military interventions in Middle-East.

I think the two budgets should be swapped. We'd be setting up bases on the Moon and going to Mars by now.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Dude, nasa gets a tiny fragment of the budget compared to the military and science is far more useful and important. We're talking about something that could save us all from the inevitable asteroid / comet impact in the future vs money used to impose our will on other countries, by killing others. The problem is the right does not really value science.
edit on 1 21 18 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

As with all government leaders who have not the where-with-all to come up with unique and successful solutions to fix issues - first goes arts and culture then science will be next on the chopping block, unless it is for military purposes.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

As with all government leaders who have not the where-with-all to come up with unique and successful solutions to fix issues - first goes arts and culture then science will be next on the chopping block, unless it is for military purposes.

That's the only reason they ever funded science in the first place. It's no accident that there was always huge technology jumps right after big wars.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson
Just food for thought here:

What if this gas giant's swirls are a product of something moving through the atmosphere, whether it be from the outside in or the inside out, such as spacecraft coming and going.

What if Jupiter is a moon factory, and each one it births leaves a swirl where it was excreted from?

Thats the best guess yet! Cant believe I didnt think of this. Havent been on ATS for a while

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

The most ignorant comment of the year so far. NASA barely gets anything of your hardearned taxpayers money. But your American MIlitary Industrial Complex gets it all..and nobody cares. I used to like America when it protested its own wars. But nowadays, they only protest tweets. SMH

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join