It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp recipients down 2million under Trump

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

We would need to go item by item.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I am simply not in favor of the way entitlements are done. They are all or nothing, either you take all the aid or you take none, there is no such thing as a little aid to meet your needs. And if you make just a little too much, you lose it all, there is no way to gradually taper off as your ability to support yourself increases.

This has the effect of putting people onto aid and trapping them there by creating a threshold of support many will not be able to easily reach where they will lose nothing by losing their aid.

I can't think that's an unintended side effect. If you are put in a position that by trying to make yourself self-sufficient, you lose too much, it becomes too daunting to ever try and you end up with generations for whom the government is the sole provider.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Its by design. And if its not its no excuse.

I think it, the legal prejudice against felony backgrounds, the way public housing is designed and distributed to herd the poor into a shared housing with sexual offenders and isolate both socially and economically, the criminalization of the vices of low socioeconomic class, public school funding being tied to property taxes.....all of this are examples of the system that black folks call racist.

Intentional or not, it has an adverse impact on a specific protected class. By legal definition its discriminatory.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

weather the food stamp enrollment being down by 2 million is a good thing or not depends on why it dropped by the 2 million. if it's dropped because the people who were relying on them no longer need them, then that is great!!
but, it just might be because the unemployment numbers in most if not all the states have improved to the point where the normal rules over the program is now enforced and being employed, or in a job training program unless disabled is required... which might not be as great if it's kicking people off the rolls if are truly needed and the person just can't find a job. this would also make me question just what role trump played in the decrease, since I do believe that most states were enforcing the employement rule before he came into office???

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

How come when food stamp use skyrocketed after the 2008 Financial Crisis, the media and many posters pointed out the problem was lazy people that did not want to work, rather than the economy.

Now, there are less on food stamps and it is now because of the Trumps economy?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

That isnt in my recollection.

I did point out that oil was up and there was work available for the mobile.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Fewer people reliant on government!

The leftists will hate it!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: jacobe001

That isnt in my recollection.

I did point out that oil was up and there was work available for the mobile.

I saw it with my own eyes on many forums.
Record number of food stamp users and many posters said it was welfare queens and lazy people.
Matter of fact, you still even see that now.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Food Stamps and Crime is down. Like candidate Trump told my brothers in Chicago... "What the hell do you have to lose by giving me the opportunity to help you?!?!"

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It is, but not in a purely racial sense. Anyone of the proper socio-economic background can get stuck there, not just those of the proper socio-economic background and race.

It's more evidence that the ideals of the welfare state are to isolate the haves from the have-nots by trapping the have-nots into their status permanently.

It's a mistake to include race into that equation.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

This just proved Drumpf has no clue how to manage an economy. Everybody knows that food stamps and unemployment insurance are the best things to grow an economy.

While african american unemployment is at its lowest point in over 40 years. You aren't elible for food stamps when you have a job. You have damn idea what you are talking about.

That's not true at all. Plenty of people have jobs and still receive food assistance. And in some states, to qualify for emergency EBT as a single person, you're required to have a job working at least fifteen hours per week. As long as you're still falling within the income range necessary to qualify for food assistance and meet all other criteria, you're eligible.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
And ?

So JPM Morgan and Monsanto took a hit.

EBT fees and GMO food.

Boo hoo.

less people receiving food stamps is a GOOD THING.

Except if the needy go hungry they will turn to crime, will you still be saying boohoo if you become a victim of said crime?

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: neo96
And ?

So JPM Morgan and Monsanto took a hit.

EBT fees and GMO food.

Boo hoo.

less people receiving food stamps is a GOOD THING.
Except if the needy go hungry they will turn to crime, will you still be saying boohoo if you become a victim of said crime?

We will always need some welfare for people that literally cannot work. Like people without limbs. Everyone else, the goal should be to get them off of it.
edit on 7-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

This just proved Drumpf has no clue how to manage an economy. Everybody knows that food stamps and unemployment insurance are the best things to grow an economy.

That SOB is starving people, just like they said he would!!

Bring out yer dead!

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Seems to have been on a steady decline since 2012 according to the graph in the link DerBeobachter posted.

edit on 7/1/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I might agree....but the numbees make it impossible.

More black people go to jail. Sentencing for black people is more strict. More black people live in poverty.

The hurdle that needs to be met for it to be legally discriminatory is "adverse impact on a protected class".

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
the most likely reason I think is because of decrease in illegasls

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: zukaba
the most likely reason I think is because of decrease in illegasls

Illegals can’t qualify for snap. They would starve by the time they contrived a fraud.

www.fns.usda.gov...

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

My concern is the children who may be losing benefits. Who's going to feed them?
At just one of our local food pantries, last Thursday, 85 people came through the line. That's up about 50%. Of course it could be attributed to the holidays and overspending and finding oneself short but, that doesn't mean the children are less hungry.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Trump picks up the ball...........ladies and gentlemen....he skips ...scampers....

and a wall of defenders has him by the red white and blue jersey.....but he tears it away in a blinding move never seen before....did you see what he did to their leading open field tacklers...

wait he's at the 50...go GO YOU DOG...three more defenders coming up behing him .....maybe got him....maybe...he spins and flips.....AND....

AND.....THEY'RE ON HIS HEELS AS H HURDLES ONE.....

AND

AND LOOK AT THAT SUNUVABITCH RUN....he runs he dodges he scores

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join