It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under the radar Sessions appoints 17 US Attorneys...wonder what's up?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
That seems like a lot of appointments at one time to me. Granted some were coming up on term, but 17 out of 93 all at once?

Attorney General Jeff Sessions today announced the appointment of 17 federal prosecutors as Interim United States Attorneys pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 546.  In a number of United States Attorney’s Offices across the country, First Assistant United States Attorneys are currently serving as Acting United States Attorneys under the Vacancies Reform Act.  However, on Jan. 4, 2018, some of those Acting United States Attorneys will have served the maximum amount of time permitted under the Act.  The appointments announced by the Attorney General today fill these vacancies.

“United States Attorneys lead federal prosecutions across this country, taking deadly drugs and criminals off of our streets and protecting the safety of law-abiding people, as well as representing the United States in civil litigation.” said Attorney General Sessions.  “As a former U.S. Attorney myself, I have seen firsthand the impact that these prosecutors have and it is critical to have U.S. Attorneys in place during this time of rising violent crime, a staggering increase in homicides, and an unprecedented drug crisis."

“That is why, today, I am appointing 17 current and former federal prosecutors to serve as U.S. Attorneys on an interim basis. Each has excellent prosecution skills and the temperament necessary to succeed in this critical role—and they have already proven that with a number of accomplishments on behalf of the American people. I want to thank them for stepping up to take this difficult but noble job.  I also want to thank those First Assistant United States Attorneys who temporarily stepped up to lead their offices as Acting U.S. Attorneys and who are now returning to their roles as First Assistants.”

The Attorney General has appointed the following individuals to serve as Interim United States Attorneys:

Shawn Anderson – Districts of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands
Geoffrey Berman – Southern District of New York
Gregory Brooker – District of Minnesota
Craig Carpenito – District of New Jersey
Stephen Dambruch – District of Rhode Island
Richard Donoghue – Eastern District of New York
Dayle Elieson – District of Nevada
Duane Evans – Eastern District of Louisiana
Timothy Garrison – Western District of Missouri
Nick Hanna – Central District of California
Joseph Harrington – Eastern District of Washington
Grant Jaquith – Northern District of New York
Maria Chapa Lopez – Middle District of Florida
Kenji Price – District of Hawaii
Matthew Schneider – Eastern District of Michigan
Gretchen Shappert – District of the Virgin Islands
Alexander Van Hook – Western District of Louisiana

Source

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Oh...and all are current and former Federal Prosecutors....

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Could it be that he's just trying to keep his job?

Last week, President Trump said that Eric Holder was a better Attorney General..OUCH! This week, 3 Republican Congressmen formally requested Jeff Sessions to step down as A.G..

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Last week, President Trump said that Eric Holder was a better Attorney General..OUCH! This week, 3 Republican Congressmen formally requested Jeff Sessions to step down as A.G..

I don't think so. There's been an odd relationship with Trump and Sessions that seems contrived to me...more of a staged for effect thing while they are actually tight behind the scenes...

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Sessions is the swamp.

And, his 1950 Reefer Madness just shows he didn't educate himself.

I think this deep state clown needs to go home.

Let someone else in that position. It's too important.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Does he owe favors to anyone? I'd be interested to see what corporations have had cases with favorable decisions from these judges in the past. Big oil? Monsanto?

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Every one of those places has a recreational or medical marijuana program, with the exception of the Virgin Islands, who have been discussing it.

Maybe they need willing prosecutors?

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart

Does he owe favors to anyone? I'd be interested to see what corporations have had cases with favorable decisions from these judges in the past. Big oil? Monsanto?

Theyre not judges....theyre attorneys.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here is what is going on and in short it is all legal and within the law.

300 days ago, the Trump Administration got rid of all of the federal attorney's in those districts, by either demanding their resignation or out right firing them. Now in the law, in the even of that happening, the #2 person at each of those offices move up as a temporary head of that division. But their position is only guaranteed for 300 days, by which time the President has to nominate and have confirmed the person to sit in those positions. Well 300 days came and went and at the last minute, the attorney's were sent to sit in those positions, as per the law and under the auspice of the attorney general, namely Sessions.

Here is where it is getting very sticky, the fact that Trump interviewed all of them is what is getting under some peoples skin, as the President is seeking to have unfettered access to the department of Justice. However there is one other point that should be noted, and that in the District of South Manhatten, he has sent a person he may know, but knows one other person, who is closely associated with Rudy Giuliani. This could cause a conflict of interest if that person has to prosecute or go after people in Giuliani's circle of friends or close to him, like say Trump's family.

But I believe that those are there only temporary, until a nomination is made and goes before the panel and then has to be confirmed by the Senate to be in those positions.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Every one of those places has a recreational or medical marijuana program, with the exception of the Virgin Islands, who have been discussing it.

Maybe they need willing prosecutors?

I am wondering if there is something at play here in regards to MS13 and the marijuana laws. While he seems to be acting hard on the laws, every time it comes up it fades quickly or reverts.

I admit I haven't been following that much as I could really care less if legal or not, but he seems very focused on MS13 and they are major traffickers in drugs and people.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Well I thought it was rather simple.

Someone has to prosecute those Sealed Indictments.

Prepare Sealed Indictments ... done.
Prepare an incarceration facility, a very secure one ... done.
Appoint prosecutors to prosecute. Done.

They will all have to hit the ground Running.

P

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I don't think so. There's been an odd relationship with Trump and Sessions that seems contrived to me...more of a staged for effect thing while they are actually tight behind the scenes...

It must be a VERY secretive and sophisticated arrangement. But there are several indications that you're right. While most people are sleeping, President Trump devises strategies. Tricking and Triggering the MSM and Democrats is probably integrated into those strategies.

Today, I heard on FoxNews that President Trump contacted Mitt Romney, to encourage him to run for Senator Orrin Hatch's Senate Seat. (Hatch is retiring) CNN thinks that Trump and Romney hate each other and that Romney would be a thorn in Trump's side. Those idiots will be totally perplexed when Senator Romney becomes a huge advocate of Trump's agenda next year.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Thank-you for that useful and informative insight! I learn so much here.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I hope it isn’t more attacks on marijuana states. But, they have lots of money to spend now.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Did he say that?

I disagree. Holder was terrible, but sessions isnt really doing anything. Except maybe harasing more Americans.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
US Attorneys are appointed for four years and then stay in position until a replacement is appointed or the President fires them. So out of the 17 appointments, it would really only be surprising if all of them were still in term when replaced.

If most of them had already been in position for more than four years, they could be replaced at any given point by either the AG or President.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart

Here is a wealth of info re: Lobbyists and what they spent and who got the $$$ (for year 2017)

www.opensecrets.org...

Edit: Here is a snippet: Top Industries

Or pick an industry from an alphabetical list
or organized by sector & industry of all 121 profiled.

Industry Total
Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $209,395,967
Insurance $117,833,483
Electronics Mfg & Equip $107,914,723
Oil & Gas $94,107,573
Business Associations $87,799,966
Electric Utilities $84,931,703
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $74,557,301
Securities & Investment $70,060,898
Health Professionals $68,341,274
Air Transport $67,691,680
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $67,114,382
Real Estate
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Thanks for the link! Fascinating findings.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Before Sessions and Wray can take action on the deep state they first need to get control of their agencies. Trying to prosecute certain individuals without knowing the loyalties of the people who will be tasked with that job is a problem. This could be as simple as routine staff changes / filling positions or it could be the start of the house cleaning and prosecutions.

As for Trump and Sessions and their relationship issues being contrived does make sense. The best way to get people off guard and lower their paranoia is to give the appearance of problems at the top that suggest the leadership focus is on bs issues and not the real crimes in question.

The same setup has been suggested for Rosenstein and Mueller and Trump.

Time will tell...
edit on 6-1-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Did he say that?

I disagree. Holder was terrible, but sessions isnt really doing anything. Except maybe harasing more Americans.

Trump was referring to how Eric Holder "protected" Barack Obama.
December 29th: www.businessinsider.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join