It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch for Falling Iguanas! Bomb Cyclone Drops Frozen Lizards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If you've got pets may they not be of the Lizard variety.

You know what they say: When it rains, it pours — and when it snows in Florida, it hails frozen iguanas. As a so-called bomb cyclone continues lashing the U.S. East Coast with historic cold temperatures, weird weather abounds. In south Florida, temperatures dipped below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius) on Jan. 3, giving Tallahassee its first measurable snowfall in 28 years. Yesterday (Jan. 4), Floridians reported an even stranger sight: frozen iguana bodies falling out of trees and littering the ground around the suburbs.

www.livescience.com...
As temperatures warm, the iguanas will thaw and eventually start moving again, Kristen Sommers, who oversees the nonnative fish and wildlife program for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, told the Associated Press. For this reason, it's recommended that people don't move or touch the critters.

Imagine, you're waltzing down the street when a lizard drops on your head? Crazy, and then you're told to just leave the things laying there frozen till they thaw out.
edit on 5-1-2018 by Blender5L because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

Ah! Here I was thinking they'd gotten hoovered up and were being rained down in the NE in a phenomena akin to a sharknado ... only with iguanas -- Iguanado!

That's going to be one heck of a hangover when those guys wake up.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

On a warm day you can get up on and GRAB EM, and then he'll whip and scratch you all to hell till you throw him down. Then he'll sit there and laugh at you. Just another stupid human with 6" bleeding scratches up his forearms and whip marks all across his guts.

I knew what I was doing too I grabbed both shoulder blades but it didnt matter in the wild they have a slippery algae between their scales that glistens dark green in the sun. He just kept twisting and tail whipping and flailing those loooong back finger claws just snagging and cutting.

edit on 5-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Ah! Here I was thinking they'd gotten hoovered up and were being rained down in the NE in a phenomena akin to a sharknado ... only with iguanas -- Iguanado!

Iguanado!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Pollo de arboros. Chicken of the trees.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

On a warm day you can get up on and GRAB EM, and then he'll whip and scratch you all to hell till you throw him down. Then he'll sit there and laugh at you. Just another stupid human with 6" bleeding scratches up his forearms and whip marks all across his guts.

I knew what I was doing too I grabbed both shoulder blades but it didnt matter in the wild they have a slippery algae between their scales that glistens dark green in the sun. He just kept twisting and tail whipping and flailing those loooong back finger claws just snagging and cutting.

lol
Those suckers are fast, yeah the claws are like mini steel blades hurts like hell!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No not me, not today lol. I'm guessing those things will be confused as heck when they wake up too.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They've had frozen sharks land on the coast. Next thing after Sharknado's is a heavy Hailshark Storm

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I live in So. Fla. In some areas the iguana infestation is so bad they eat all the flowering plants and shrubs as well as bird eggs, and crap everywhere just like geese. When we get cold snaps they become comatose so you just pick them up,fill garbage cans with them and take them out to the glades to release them. The gators find them tasty treats as they sun on the banks and swim in the canals. I can't bring myself to kill them.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
They are calling for an "iguana harvest .".... Here in the Florida keys ...to kill as many as possible while They are slow and Sluggish from The cold ..... I will not be partaking in that . ... I did save a gecko yesterday , though. He was cold and hanging onto Our deck railing . He was doing the slow
Cold Death, so I Scooped Him up in a box and brought him inside . As he warmed up ,he moved Alittle , but mostly slept all Day . Later on I went to Check On him and he was gone !... So now The gecko is loose iny house somewhere ?! ... But at least he's warm .

edit on 5-1-2018 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bladerunner44

I live in So. Fla. In some areas the iguana infestation is so bad they eat all the flowering plants and shrubs as well as bird eggs, and crap everywhere just like geese. When we get cold snaps they become comatose so you just pick them up,fill garbage cans with them and take them out to the glades to release them. The gators find them tasty treats as they sun on the banks and swim in the canals. I can't bring myself to kill them.

Oh wow that must be wild watching that, frozen Iguanas filled up in garbage cans? holy cow! Hey thanks for mentioning it, I like hearing stuff like this.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
They are calling for an "iguana harvest .".... Here in the Florida keys ...to kill as many as possible while They are slow and Sluggish from The cold ..... I will not be partaking in that . ... I did save a gecko yesterday , though. He was cold and hanging onto Our deck railing . He was doing the slow
Cold Death, so I Scooped Him up in a box and brought him inside . As he warmed up ,he moved Alittle , but mostly slept all Day . Later on I went to Check On him and he was gone !... So now The gecko is loose iny house somewhere ?! ... But at least he's warm .

That's actually really cool that you helped the little fella, there must be a lot of them there right now. Thanks for sharing man.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Nice gesture. Put out some squash that will catch stop 'em enough to pick them up. Wonder how the native green anoles(lizards that turn brown to green with pointy faces) are doing? Poor little guys are being killed off by the brown anoles as it is.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Green ones native as far north as the Carolina's.

Brown ones dont really kill the green ones, the green ones just live high and the brown ones live low to the ground so they the only ones anyone ever sees.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bladerunner44

You know you're just feeding the super python infestation with them ... right?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm in FL, and never witnessed this (or I'd now have a pet iguana.....)

I'm looking to get a Bearded Dragon this summer.... I've got a huge terrarium, that I'm going to trick out to look like a swamp scene on Dagaboh, with a crashed X-Wing in the water and all, hehe.... (Yoda's hut will be his hiding rock). Should be fun. Will have to post pics once we do it.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

My God, global warming is killing the planet.

new topics

top topics

join