It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump asks for $33B for border, including $18B for wall

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I keep saying the obvious. When deficits don’t matter and we borrow to pay our debt instead of raising taxes, it’s good for American people.

It is just something we need to monitor. Do we take more from the few or less from the many to end up with more taxes in the end? I know the left see the more from the few as the best way, but numbers do matter and as we have more and more people paying more taxes only because they make more money, and we have more investing businesses that make more money, so they pay more taxes too we see a lot of taxes going into the coffer.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Its a ridiculous expense.

But there does need to be some sort of solution for the southern border.

Said it for two decades now...

Send the people at the top to prison for hiring illegals.
Not to "we play tennis prison", but the one with the black people.

I guarantee you it would end overnight.

I agree as well.
As long as shady employers hire illegals, the problem will still exist.
The illegals may flee and hide but the employers are in plain site.
I can defeat that 33B Wall with a 5 dollar shovel from Walmart.

There are tunnels that go for miles and lead into Israel so where the will is there is a way and that wall will be defeated.

There is the old saying when at Yellowstone, "Don't feed the Bears" because they will come looking for a handout on the next person they see. There are no walls needed in Yellowstone just common sense.
edit on 6-1-2018 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

I keep saying the obvious. When deficits don’t matter and we borrow to pay our debt instead of raising taxes, it’s good for American people.

Still holding onto the lie that the tax bill will run up a bunch of debt? For months you clung to the lie that it would only benefit the rich. Now that that's been demonstrated to be false you're clinging to this? From the same people who lied to you and told you it would only benefit the rich?

Do you ever learn?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Monitor? At 20 trillion and more spending planned, why even keep track? It’s pretty obvious at that amount we are still here and prospering in spite of it. So all that stuff about the deficit being a national security issue was bull.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23019782]face23785[/post

I’ve learned. Deficits don’t matter. Geez why are you having such a hard time with that principle.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

It is just something we need to monitor. Do we take more from the few or less from the many to end up with more taxes in the end? I know the left see the more from the few as the best way, but numbers do matter and as we have more and more people paying more taxes only because they make more money, and we have more investing businesses that make more money, so they pay more taxes too we see a lot of taxes going into the coffer.

I've explained this in numerous threads already. The projection that the tax bill would "cost" $1.5T is based on an unrealistically low estimate of economic growth. When the CBO did that projection, they assumed a mere 1.9% average GDP growth over the next 10 years. I don't know why they assumed GDP growth would be that low. You'd be hard-pressed to find any 10-year period where we averaged that low. Historically we average between 2.5 and 3%. If we grow at the bottom end of that, 2.5%, the revenue "lost" by cutting taxes will be gained back and the net impact on the deficit is 0. If we grow at higher than that, it actually reduces the deficit. 2.5% would be a much more realistic number to use in the projection than 1.9% was. All these numbers can be found in the CBO report, and it's explained fairly well in a link I posted here. The article there is behind a paywall, but again the raw numbers are in the CBO report for anyone who likes to check things themselves.

Also worth noting is that even if their projection was right, $1.5T over 10 years is a marginal increase in the debt. By 2027 our debt is projected to be around $30T. If it's $31T or $31.5T instead because of the tax plan, that's not a huge difference.

I know the same people (leftists that just can't stand simple facts like high school level math proving their doomsday predictions wrong) will simply ignore this and continue to pretend the tax bill will add a ton of debt, but it's simply not true even if the CBO's projection was accurate. And the CBO's projection is unrealistic because of the ridiculously low growth rate they used to come up with that $1.5T "cost" estimate.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I've explained this in numerous threads already. The projection that the tax bill would "cost" $1.5T is based on an unrealistically low estimate of economic growth. When the CBO did that projection, they assumed a mere 1.9% average GDP growth over the next 10 years. I don't know why they assumed GDP growth would be that low. You'd be hard-pressed to find any 10-year period where we averaged that low. Historically we average between 2.5 and 3%. If we grow at the bottom end of that, 2.5%, the revenue "lost" by cutting taxes will be gained back and the net impact on the deficit is 0. If we grow at higher than that, it actually reduces the deficit. 2.5% would be a much more realistic number to use in the projection than 1.9% was. All these numbers can be found in the CBO report, and it's explained fairly well in a link I posted here. The article there is behind a paywall, but again the raw numbers are in the CBO report for anyone who likes to check things themselves.

Also worth noting is that even if their projection was right, $1.5T over 10 years is a marginal increase in the debt. By 2027 our debt is projected to be around $30T. If it's $31T or $31.5T instead because of the tax plan, that's not a huge difference.

I know the same people (leftists that just can't stand simple facts like high school level math proving their doomsday predictions wrong) will simply ignore this and continue to pretend the tax bill will add a ton of debt, but it's simply not true even if the CBO's projection was accurate. And the CBO's projection is unrealistic because of the ridiculously low growth rate they used to come up with that $1.5T "cost" estimate.

Math is not strong with the left...

Or more likely the left caters to the poor for votes while really not helping them. They use fake promises and fear of the evil right to get those votes... Rich people holding the poor down, the rich not paying their fair share of taxes, evil corporations not paying their fair share and low balling employees for profit, going to take away your free abortions etc... are all classic examples.

edit on 6-1-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

a reply to: [post=23019782]face23785[/post

I’ve learned. Deficits don’t matter. Geez why are you having such a hard time with that principle.

Nope, you're just parroting that as a temper tantrum after it was exposed that "this plan will only benefit the rich" was a lie. And you're parroting a lie in place of it. The bill will not dramatically increase the debt, if at all. Why are you having such a hard time with math? I've explained it to you in 3 or 4 different threads now. A child could understand it. Shut off your "waaaaaaa! the rich!!! Republicans r evullll!!!" tears and think for a minute. And why are you dragging your petulant security blanket slogan about the tax plan into a thread that has nothing to do with it?
edit on 6 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Since he's a 'genius", maybe he could figure out he could legalize marijuana nationwide, charge a federal luxury tax on it, and he probably have enough money to pay for his (ridiculous) wall before the year is out.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

My subject has been the deficit. We can build the wall without Americans or Mexicans paying for it. Just borrow more money.
As for the tax plan adding to the deficit, that’s what the CBO says. I don’t care, deficits don’t mstter.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

My subject has been the deficit. We can build the wall without Americans or Mexicans paying for it. Just borrow more money.
As for the tax plan adding to the deficit, that’s what the CBO says. I don’t care, deficits don’t mstter.

Lol! It's true! The deficit mattered enormously over the last eight years, but now we are free from thinking about it.
Yay! We can be like teenagers drunk at the mall with our parent's credit cards again. Woo hoo!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Yeah, this all came from the tax plan. You believed the lie that it would only benefit the rich, then when that crashed and burned you need a new lie, so you've embraced the fallback lie that it'll balloon the deficit. It was a take your ball and go home moment. "Oh, it turns out this will actually help the middle class. But I need something to whine about. Oh, I guess deficits don't matter now. That's catchy." You just can't admit it's a good thing a bunch of lower and middle class people are getting a tax break. Now you're dragging that lie through thread after thread like a petulant child crying over spilled milk. It gets old. Sorry the government can't solve all your problems. I know those evil rich people aren't giving you as much of their money as you think they should, but let's be honest. You're never gonna be happy. Even if they were taxed at 100%, you'd just find something else to bitch about.

To be clear, I'm not trying to take away your victim status, because I know how very badly you need to be a victim of something, anything, as long as you can still be a victim and have that excuse. But Jesus Christ give it a rest once in a while. When I first started posting here, I felt sorry for you. Now you're just the equivalent of taking out the garbage or doing the dishes. A sad fact of life I just have to accept if I want to continue to come here.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You have no authority over our laws, the deficit or me. You can be wrong just as much as right. Time will tell.
Now, that the deficit hawks have shut up, let’s do it all. Before democrats win again then we’ll be fighting over the deficit for years again. I was hoping there would be something left for infrastructure. But, that was just a carrot for the donkeys.

<< 1  2   >>

join