It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS weighs major change to H-1B foreign tech worker visa program

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: pv1984

Science was simpler back then.

It was.

Didn't stop me, though. It's a brand new world out here in science, and with the vast field of information available, it's just downright FUN!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Imagine if our Education System actually focused on training students for the jobs that are actually in demand. The H1b's happened in some part , due to the failure of our system to provide workers.

There's a bit of a problem with this, though - it requires that you have an absolutely accurate method of predicting the job market for the next 10 years.

We can generally predict we'll need more physicians and nurses and some type of medical personnel... but will x-ray technicians still be used or will we have gone to something else? If we teach someone to code in one language, will they still be able to code for devices we haven't invented yet in a newer synthetic language? Will people learning to drive trucks this year be put out of a job by self-driving trucks in a mere ten years? Will a press operator of today have any work in the computer press operations of ten years from now?

The post office and FedEx will likely still need workers, but ... I think you can see my point. Training for today's job market is no guarantee of employment stability.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

But the perception is American workers are stupid.

Perception, or reality? My guess is the 'Muricans are less stupid than lazy.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Imagine if our Education System actually focused on training students for the jobs that are actually in demand. The H1b's happened in some part , due to the failure of our system to provide workers.

There's a bit of a problem with this, though - it requires that you have an absolutely accurate method of predicting the job market for the next 10 years.

Hb1 nations seemed to have predicted it or at least had surpluses of those fields.

I get your point, things can be unpredictable. But our schools haven't been very right at all in predicting, even when industry says they have a need to be filled.

Industry in general knows what it's labor needs going forward are. For example we've heard for decades about doctor shortages over here. There are exceptions to be sure. In the US we seem to have a disconnect between schools and industry working together.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I disagree....the Hb1 system was setup because there were not enough qualified American workers. That goes back to not training our youth and older people into those fields.

I'll grant that Hb1 workers probably have more to prove ect... but we dropped the ball as a nation by not training our people for the jobs that were there and in the future.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: mikell
Yes the CEO's are at fault and Indian workers seem to be taking over.

I've seen the billings. It's not like US companies save any money hiring the H1B visa guys. In some cases these guys cost 2x or more than their American counterparts. It's just a boondoggle windfall for the owners of the head hunting agencies.

You would think competition would kick in at some point. But the perception is American workers are stupid.

I lived through this transformation as an engineer for 33 years. The education argument isn't true. High school grad's were steered away from engineering in the US because the jobs were going overseas or to h-1b's. Then the universities cut staff in those programs because there wasn't as much demand from new freshmen. If there are jobs available for US engineers, there would be enough capable students and new grads to fill them (but there would be some start up time needed to get back to the levels we had in the 80's).

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Nothing is going to change.
If they close up the H1-B program, companies will simply off-shore the work.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: watchitburn
This is a much needed step in the right direction. This is a terrible program in my opinion. And getting rid of it will go a long way towards putting many Americans back to work.

I remember this issue was brought up in the recent border wall/budget /DACA thread.

The future is looking bright for American workers.

Source

Here's the thing, though... are there American workers qualified for those jobs? One woman I know who was over here on that program was an anesthesiologist from France. That's hardly your average high school graduate. There are many nurses who are from other countries because of nursing shortages... ditto physicians.

The tech industry isn't something you can pick up, either, just by breathing. Ditto any lab research.

What's more likely to happen is that these companies will find ways to move critical parts of their work (the types that NEED this kind of worker that's in short supply here in the states) overseas or subcontract it. And under a shortage of health care professionals (which you may not really care about until there's an emergency and it's your child who needs the help) care will become less efficient and more expensive.

A good solution would be to get more Americans to enter the science and engineering fields and graduate college and universities with Bachelors level degrees and Masters level degrees. More doctors and nurses need to be recruited and teaching profession should be revamped to give teachers higher pay and to make sure they're better qualified to teach by reworking the education program in many colleges and universities.

I don't see much support for that, though.

Nursing in the USA used to be a middle class profession, until the healthcare groups predicted there would be a future shortage of nurses. So dozens of nursing colleges opened, then there was an oversupply and salaries dropped down to low income levels.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

The H1b's happened in some part , due to the failure of our system to provide workers.

It happened because corporations have unattainable goals and must continue to grow and make more money year after year for infinity in order to appease the Board of directors and the .1% top stock holders.

So what happens they lobby heavily and our politicians that need their money to get elected and reelected robosign the corporate drafted regulations to allow them to push the grey area back , despite being a bad thing in the long term.

Sure at first it was great but the long term hit was obvious and exposed by Ross Perot , but the GOP and the DNC along with the media ignored him and tried to discredit him.

"Giant Sucking Sound"

Gov't is only a tool of the corporations. It had nothing todo with workers, it was purely about profit and paying low slave wages.
edit on 19131America/ChicagoFri, 05 Jan 2018 17:19:49 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

The H1b's happened in some part , due to the failure of our system to provide workers.

It happened because corporations have unattainable goals and must continue to grow and make more money year after year for infinity in order to appease the Board of directors and the .1% top stock holders.

Absolutely this.

And when they are done feeding off the carcass that is the USA, they will move on to cannibalize China. After China, India.

Will the world ever get it though? I don't think so, not as long as the money is flowing to international corporations and their pimps, The Bankers.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

originally posted by: interupt42

Absolutely this.

And when they are done feeding off the carcass that is the USA, they will move on to cannibalize China. After China, India.

Will the world ever get it though? I don't think so, not as long as the money is flowing to international corporations and their pimps, The Bankers.

I worked at IBM about 10 or 12 years ago and one of my last project they wanted me to lead was to architect and design system integrations and then oversea the outsourcing of the actual work not to India, China, or Brazil , but to Africa. Oracle and Microsoft were doing the same thing and had heavily invested in Africa. The problem was the infrastructure was not there. However, they fixed this several years ago when the US tax payer paid to rebuild the infrastructure in Africa.

There is a reason why US pays billions to support Africa, American corporations are heavily invested in it and are trying to make it the next India, China for cheaper wages.

I think Trump Fd up with the net neutrality thing miserably, but if he fixes the h1b visa program I might overlook it. I'm not against globalization as it could help everyone in the long term , but I'm against corpaglobalization which is what we got and are getting and its only about greed.

edit on 36131America/ChicagoFri, 05 Jan 2018 17:36:24 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join