It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taylor Swift's 'Gorgeous'...Is it a love song for whiny, entitled millennials?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'm a fan of Taylor Swift, so please don't mention a generation gap problem in this thread. I just can't figure the song "Gorgeous" out. Is it a love song or a hate song? The entire song consists of complaining without taking any personal responsibility for what's happening. It is the definition of whiny entitlement.

What purpose does this song serve? Why would anyone like it?

www.youtube.com...

I was able to find what I think is the equivalent of the song "Gorgeous" from my generation. If anyone can think of another from any time period, please post it in this thread.

The song I thought of is Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You." The theme of both songs are the same. The theme is complaing because you're infatuated with someone, but there are huge differences.

Jett's song makes love the focal point. Swift's song makes looks the focal point.

Jett is taking full responsibility for what's happening (she hates HERSELF for her predicament). Swift is blaming her difficulties completely on the other person (she hates SOMEONE ELSE for her predicament).

The differences between Generation X and Generation Y are coming into better focus.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym
Whoa dude, take a step back and chill. No the song is not about what you think is and you would know that if you listen to other song by her. I am no fan of Taylor Swift but I listen to all artist to try to understand all aspects of lives. I think you only heard what you wanted to hear.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Talk about whiney? You actually made a thread about it on a conspiracy website.. Now that's whining

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
Whoa dude, take a step back and chill. No the song is not about what you think is and you would know that if you listen to other song by her. I am no fan of Taylor Swift but I listen to all artist to try to understand all aspects of lives. I think you only heard what you wanted to hear.

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

I normally don't reply to posts like this where claims are stated as facts without any arguments being made, but in this case you're helping the conversation progress.

"No the song is not about what you think is"

Evidence? My analysis stands whether you're right about that or not.

"you would know that if you listen to other song by her"

Give me another song by Swift that has a similar theme as "Gorgeous." I can't think of one her songs that's remotely like it, and most of her songs such as "Ready For It?" are the exact opposite in terms of the points I made in the original post.

"I listen to all artist to try to understand all aspects of lives"

What you're doing here is what most Christians do with the Bible. They say a certain verse doesn't mean what it says because we "must consider the whole Bible when we interpret each verse." Give me a break.

"I think you only heard what you wanted to hear."

What I stated is there as in existing beyond a reasonable doubt.

a reply to: Misterlondon

In the music forum?

I'm looking for other's views on this issue. I couldn't care less what Swift does with her career, but I can't understand this song.

Show me where I complained?

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
"Ready For It?" gives us a perfect juxtaposition to "Gorgeous." It's very relevant because both songs are from her latest album.

Here's Swift taking control, taking full responsibility, not being a victim, and not whining or complaining. I love this song, and it's one of my favorite songs by her.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   

You make a very good debate topic. As much as I would like to engage I can not
I have had one scotch too many. I would have to listen to those songs if I was to properly debate this subject with you. But I can't right now lol. You win

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
What a total load of contrived, manufactured, materialistic, crap.

Take your mind numbing drivvle, designed to dumb down the nation and turn young people into fame hungry image enthusiasts, and ram it where no sun shines!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I can't stand Taylor Swift and actively avoid her stuff. If Taylor Swift disappeared tomorrow I'd never even know (or care). HOWEVER, most of these top artists use songwriters, lyrics writers, producers and all manner of other assistance producing hit songs. It's not like they sit down one day by themselves, get all inspired, come up with a melody and then put their own inspirational words to it. It doesn't work that way...it's all about $$$$ and producing crap that sells (not crap that means anything), the next "hit single" above all else. Purely $$$$$$$.

Love Taylor Swift or hate her, the words in her music mean pretty much zero.

Now, if a person really wanted to get pissed about something related to Taylor Swift, something that's real, they'd spend a few minutes and research Swift's arrangement with Ticketmaster on her current tour. Register in advance just for a 'chance' to buy her outrageously priced concert tickets ($300-500 and up, per seat), pay more money to move up in the 'chance' list...move up even more on the 'chance' list if you buy a $200 T-shirt/licensed gear...and still maybe don't even wind up getting tickets in the end!!! If that isn't a scam I don't know what is!! Though I would expect nothing less from Ticketmaster (thieving bastages).

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
That last paragraph about the ticket prices is sick. Preying on kids succumbing to the stench.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Being a multimillionaire is a lot more complicated than we can possibly imagine.

All you can think about is becoming a billionaire, because it is never enough.
I lay very slim odds that much cogitation about the timeless will ensue. It is like a living doom,
but you must never let on...and there is always another act to keep you on the rails...

I have no idea how artists make money...but I have to think touring has a large role.

Bono lays awake tossing over lost revenues. You see, money handles most persons.

It can be as an infection, and like drinking sea water to cure a thirst, it only gets worse.

But at the end of each day, you can revel in it. The fact you are wealthy, or successful,
if you wish to put it that way, will suffice. It is a perfect way to pass the time, until
time is no more.

# 926
edit on 5-1-2018 by TheWhiteKnight because: I first saw you; you were trick or treating

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Oh, and Swift gets a cut, obviously, of all those up-charges, those non-refundable up-charges! So, she makes money even if she doesn't sell a ticket. That IS twisted and predatory.

And her people are out there bemoaning the fact she's not selling out concerts. I wonder why?

I was telling my wife, Swift is nothing more than a money grubbin' 'ho'

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Being a multimillionaire is a lot more complicated than we can possibly imagine. ...

Oh the tragedy!

That's a complication I think I could deal with!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
HOWEVER, most of these top artists use songwriters, lyrics writers, producers and all manner of other assistance producing hit songs.

That's been the case for pretty much forever.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I believe if I were born into riches, it would have been my ruin.

Just a hunch.

# 927

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Longer than that even.

It's pretty much been the case ever since music and money first crossed paths.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Actually, you would have been ruined already by that point!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
HOWEVER, most of these top artists use songwriters, lyrics writers, producers and all manner of other assistance producing hit songs. It's not like they sit down one day by themselves, get all inspired, come up with a melody and then put their own inspirational words to it. It doesn't work that way...it's all about $$$$ and producing crap that sells (not crap that means anything), the next "hit single" above all else. Purely $$$$$$$.

You forced me to look up the writers of the song. Taylor Swift wrote the song with Max Martin and Shellback.

Here's Max Martin's wikipedia page:

Link

Here's Shellback's wikipedia page:

Link

All three of them are legendary songwriters. Yes, Taylor Swift is in her own right.

I don't see that as mattering at all. I see a song that's produced like this as being no different from a Hollywood movie that has a bunch of writers. Only the finished product matters.

The only value art has is in what it means to people. If "Gorgeous" resonates with people, then that's all that matters.

If the song resonates with millennials (and it does enough to consider), then we're right back to my original argument in this thread again.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I don't like Taylor Swift, she is a pretentious and shallow barbie doll as far as i'm concerned.

But Joan Jett was |..|

Another one of the hundreds of better singers then Taylor is Tori Amos, a red headed siren who knocks Swift right outta the ball park.

edit on 5-1-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
WOW my bad bro, I didn't mean to upset you and no I will not point out my reasoning for my post. Now if you would make a thread about TOOL or even Green Jellÿ, Then ya I am game.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You actually listen to those vapid, asinine lyrics? There is no message there.
There is a universe of music out there... Why dwell on this kind? It's generic, prefabricated product.
It's like preferring Monsanto GMO fake food to something organic and real.
edit on 5/1/2018 by IridiumFlareMadness because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join