It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular YouTube vlogger suspended after filming/uploading dead body

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is from a few days ago but I haven't seen it posted here yet.

It seems a popular YouTube prankster found a dead body in the notorious Japanese 'suicide' forest and decided to film and upload the footage to the site.

YouTube star Logan Paul, a popular vlogger from a family of popular vloggers, drew a massive backlash on Monday and Tuesday for posting a video showing a dead body he stumbled upon in Japan's notorious "suicide forest."

The video, which Paul uploaded on December 31 and ultimately deleted late on January 1, chronicles a visit by Paul and a few companions to Aokigahara Forest, located on the northwestern side of Mt. Fuji. Upon seeing the body, Paul calls out, “Yo, are you alive?” and then, “Are you #ing with us?” He then continues to film his reaction to the discovery, complete with laughter and joking, which he later explains is his way of trying to cope with the shock of the situation.

While Paul added a preface to the video before posting it in which he gravely insisted that “this is not clickbait,” he also advised viewers to “Buckle the # up, because you’re never gonna see a video like this again!” and used a shot of the body for the video’s promotional thumbnail.

An article by Vox explains the climate around "influencers" ethos of post first and think later Logan Paul and the toxic prank culture that created him

Initially Paul apologised, saying that he had wanted to raise awareness about suicide and possibly save lives, and he denied his goal was to drive clicks to his social media content. "I didn't do it for views. I get views. I thought I could make a positive ripple on the internet, not cause a monsoon of negativity," he tweeted.

YouTube has a policy prohibiting gory or violent content but the video still reached the 10th highest spot on it's Trending list, despite a deluge of calls to have it removed. While Youtube sat back and enjoyed the web traffic, It amassed over 6 million views before the vlogger deleted it, not the site despite the videos title being "WE FOUND A DEAD BODY" and the thumbnail image was of the hanging body.

Logan Paul is no stranger to controversy as he previously uploaded a video where he got a lasoo and roped random women like cattle as a prank to pick them up.

This raises questions of the liability of Youtube to protect it's viewers from extreme videos that violate it's own policies and the ethics of a global company that fosters a morally corrupt culture. I doubt Youtube will do anything other than apologize and put it back on the vlogger. Reading things like this make me realise the the World is on a dark path unless we course correct

---------------------------------
LifeLine Australia 13 11 14
US: National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1800 273 8255

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Yeah I heard about this clown yesterday on the radio...no class, no respect...just a clown.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Given this guy's audience, he should not have done this.

However, the media fakes outrage when it suits them.

Instead of this incident shedding light on a controversial topic like a Japanese suicide forest, it became about prank culture.

Yet the media has no problem showing that dead refugee boy who washed ashore, remember?

It's all dependant on whether it fits their narrative.
edit on 4-1-2018 by Tempter because: Sp

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Never heard of him, kinda sorry I have now..

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Hoping someone would start a thread on this.

6 million likes.. YouTube didn't remove it. Logan Paul removed it and uploaded an apology with suicide prevention link. Reckless POS!

Top YouTube'rs
Philip de Franco
Boogie
Eh Bee Family
Even Pewdie Pie all jumped on Logan case about this.

Japan isn't happy.
kotaku.com...

Philip de Franco about Logan Paul. 21:00 minutes but if you wish to watch. At least get the first 2mins 30secs in.
m.youtube.com...

Edit: it's good to see YouTube stepping up.
edit on 4-1-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Wait, YouTube actually took action against him? If so, good, that guy sucks.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
stop virtue signalling

there is nothing wrong with what he did it's real, raw and a part of life

faux outrage culture

just stop it

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
stop virtue signalling

faux outrage culture

just stop it

This is a problem with a lot of you millennials, lack of respect.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Right..
Like the teens that filmed a man drowning while laughing. Got to be a better way to go viral.

To be fair.
He should have used a different forum like Vice rather than YT where he has 15.4mil subs. Mostly kids.
edit on 4-1-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

He is scum for even thinking that this was a good idea to upload in the first place. Well he got what he wanted. A ton of publicity and new subscribers who thought this was awesome. I would have prefered if they had just took the video down quietly without alerting the other YT morons who do everything for clicks. It all snowballed from there. Best thing you can do is just to ignore it.

edit on 4-1-2018 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Should have put it on Vice.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Or not show it at all and show some respect for the dead.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

stop virtue signalling

faux outrage culture

just stop it

I filmed dead tourists in road after a Mexico bus crash 2 weeks ago. Bothered me so much just having it on my camera, that I deleted it.

But you're right that the culture is becoming too "touchy feely" and sensitive. All the while, murders and violence continue to increase. Maybe we do need to be exposed to more Real-Life consequences.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

He laughed at the dead body on his "vlog" or whatever you call it.

He also came out with an "apology" video today (or maybe yesterday), that was like 1 minute and 30 seconds long which seemed, to me to be quite disingenuous.

He's been caught "faking" some of his prank videos, and appears to contribute Absolutely Nothing positive to society. I hope his career as a "public figure" is dead unless he is willing to contribute something to make a positive difference, but that seems above him from what I've seen.

Crash and Burn Logan Paul!!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

stop virtue signalling

faux outrage culture

just stop it

This is a problem with a lot of you millennials, lack of respect.

It's far more than just millennials that lack respect.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I have no respect for censorship. Control freaks, if you don't want to see something look away, close your eyes, turn it off.
Its those that can't control their reactions to seeing something they don't like that ruins it for everyone else.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Censorship? He broke YouTubes ToS. Funny how so many people don't understand what the hell censorship really is.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I have no respect for censorship. Control freaks, if you don't want to see something look away, close your eyes, turn it off.
Its those that can't control their reactions to seeing something they don't like that ruins it for everyone else.

It has nothing to do with anything you said, I guess you can't teach some people what respect is.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Really sad situation, word is that it was scripted, making the man's death into a joke with them. In which that was very wrong of them to do.

Pyrocynical laid this out well. His initial video on the vologger was removed by YouTube for sharing more of the filmed video.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Exactly my point.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join