It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dripping' may be a new, dangerous trend for teens who vape

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Been vaping for 2 years now and not touched tobacco since.

My blood pressure has dropped drastically to where it's now considered "normal" (and I'm over weight and still don't get enough exercise).

My breathing no longer is labored nor do I "rattle" anymore.

I've not had a chest cold since. Before it would almost always turn to Bronchitis.

I do not use a special box mod, and do not billow vape everywhere like some vapers do. I consider that rude and annoying myself. The amount of vape that comes out of me is the same or less as if I was smoking a cig.

I make my own E Juice by ordering liquid nicotine, vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol. Those are the only things that go into my juice (I do "neutral" flavor that does not have a smell at all).

Nicotine is used is very small amounts, too much as BFFT said will make you sick quickly and is quite harsh. I started out vaping at about 18 mg because of how much I smoked, now I'm down to about 6 mg. Nicotine can be found in certain plants that you eat, like tomatoes.

Vegetable glycerin is used in a huge amount of food items that you consume on a daily basis. Even flavorings. Go to your spice rack and grab a bottle of Vanilla flavoring and read the ingredients for it. Surprise!

Vaping has really help my health and kept me from nic'ing hard from trying to straight quit....which gives me the urge to kill people......or ban them from forums.......so it's a good thing for me.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Because humans want a meaningless quantification, and the British health authority isn't comfortable about giving the "all clear" without long term studies. Also, the comments made regarding the safety of vaping are generally made in relation to smoking, which is what vaping is meant to replace.

Fact is, there isn't a single documented health risk that arises from vaping. Sure, maybe in the future there will be. But its been 55 some odd years now (the first e-cig was patented in 1963 by a man who said, "I thought it was kind of obvious that inhaling burned stuff is gross"), and nada. Entire lifetimes have passed....zilch.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s not safer than smoking. At least I’m not. However people who do use e sigs need to not be so naive. And saying it’s is “safe” and “not dangerous” is just a plain lie. Fact it injesting chemicals In your lungs is never safe. Safer then cigs, sure. But no where near safe.

You posted a BS fear mongering article that was debunked. Your opinion is no longer valid.
edit on 4-1-2018 by deuceawesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

it aught to be obvious that the 95/5% ratio is the BMA hedging their bets
an organisation such at them would never claim that any practice
that could be viewed as self medication is 100% safe.
that would be just silly bearing in mind you can cause yourself harm
by drinking to much water!

i wonder what the percentages are for alcohol consumption?

link   

originally posted by: deuceawesome

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s not safer than smoking. At least I’m not. However people who do use e sigs need to not be so naive. And saying it’s is “safe” and “not dangerous” is just a plain lie. Fact it injesting chemicals In your lungs is never safe. Safer then cigs, sure. But no where near safe.

You posted a BS fear mongering article that was debunked. Your opinion is no longer valid.

Neither is yours... that’s the beauty of ATS.

link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

55 years, not a single medical case recorded.

Im convinced that its safe.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
It's going to be real cool and hip in a decade when they all have some form of growth or other previously unknown lung issue and need a oxygen machine.

Then again, maybe they will usher in a new market for custom oxygen tanks, designer air masks and other crossbranding opportunities.

Apple oxygen link? Flashing LED's on your facemask to music streamed from your phone?

Could be cool.

iVaped

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Because humans want a meaningless quantification, and the British health authority isn't comfortable about giving the "all clear" without long term studies. Also, the comments made regarding the safety of vaping are generally made in relation to smoking, which is what vaping is meant to replace.

Fact is, there isn't a single documented health risk that arises from vaping. Sure, maybe in the future there will be. But its been 55 some odd years now (the first e-cig was patented in 1963 by a man who said, "I thought it was kind of obvious that inhaling burned stuff is gross"), and nada. Entire lifetimes have passed....zilch.

I think it's fair to frame somethings safety in relation to non use, not use of a harsher(widely admitted) product. Mainly because it seems that while vaping may have been intended for cigarette substitution, it has probably equally been utilized as a new type of consumption for those that came from nothing.

Widespread use of vaping hasn't happened for 55 years, you know that, and you know how that pertains to sample sizes and possible interactions with various physical specimens and its possible long term effects on health. I think it's that type of "dishonesty" that causes people to even argue or debate this topic.
edit on 4-1-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
can i be cheeky enough to say that in this case the science is (almost) settled.
unlike climate change HA

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

55 years, not a single medical case recorded.

Im convinced that its safe.

Just because it was invented that long ago doesn’t mean it had been used as frequently as it is now. Aka not enough time, users or studies to justify saying it’s completely safe.

For you and many others it was a better option than smoking. However justifying it you yourself so you don’t feel as bad about your addiction doesn’t negate the fact that the product is no where near 100% safe.

To say so I either your opinion only or a flat out lie... I’ll let you choose which one you pick.

edit on 4-1-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

the first vapeing device was patented in the late 1800's

and the evidence has shown that very few people have taken up use of vapeing
from the non smoker population.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

a reply to: seasonal

Im fighting the urge to punch my monitor after reading this (again). Im shocked it made it to ATS.

Let me dispel the myth: I drip. Its not dangerous. the biggest danger is someone using a mech mod that is unregulated, and not knowing ohms law. Most folks don't use mechs.

The "self feed" you are referring to is known as a "squonk", and essentially allows you to not have to drip juice onto the cotton, spilling/overfilling your RDA, by squeezing juice up through a juice hose out of a soft bottle.

The nicotine...if you drip more than 3mg nic, its likely to make you choke out. Nicotine is harsh. And dripping will supply a larger cloud of vape, making the nicotine burn your throat. I just got a 240ml order replaced by my vendor because it was more yellow than it should have been (indicating nic oxidation), and was quite harsh. You don't really get a buzz from it...you just get nic sick and feel nauseated.

I can trot out the study proving that vaping is safe. Proving that its FAR safer than smoking. I can also quote the chemical analysis showing that acetyl is higher in cigarettes by a factor of 300, or that the acetylaldehyde/formaldehyde doesn't actually form in vaping devices that are cleaned at least 2 times a year (simply rinsing out).

The article you quote is 100% horsecrap. To the poster to says it causes cervical cancer...prove it. Please give me just 1 case in any medical journal showing the link between vaping and any disease process, short of trauma from people who misuse their hardware.

I've vaped for a couple of years. I build my own stuff. I've read the study done by the UK government. If you have questions, ask. If you'd like to see actual medical studies, read:

www.gov.uk...

Key findings of the review include:

the current best estimate is that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking
nearly half the population (44.8%) don’t realise e-cigarettes are much less harmful than smoking
there is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers

An THIS ^^ is where the wheels fell off your bus.
Vape Juice is designed to be absorbed thru the soft tissues of the mouth.
NOT INHALED
Pretty much the same as a piece of hard candy.

If you inhale it, even if it contains nicotine all you will get is heartburn.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Also interesting is the difference between vaping and ecigs in general in terms of chemicals, duration and history. I told my doc (who is Indian) that I “accidentally” quit smoking when I started vaping just to try it because the vanilla smelled so good, but I also expressed my (semi) fear that future risks might be unknown. He told me that vaping as it’s currently being done is very akin to the “hookah” which has been used India “forever.” I haven’t tracked that down factually but found his statement curious as I hadn’t considered that.

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Im fighting the urge to punch my monitor after reading this (again). Im shocked it made it to ATS.

Let me dispel the myth: I drip. Its not dangerous. the biggest danger is someone using a mech mod that is unregulated, and not knowing ohms law. Most folks don't use mechs.

The "self feed" you are referring to is known as a "squonk", and essentially allows you to not have to drip juice onto the cotton, spilling/overfilling your RDA, by squeezing juice up through a juice hose out of a soft bottle.

The nicotine...if you drip more than 3mg nic, its likely to make you choke out. Nicotine is harsh. And dripping will supply a larger cloud of vape, making the nicotine burn your throat. I just got a 240ml order replaced by my vendor because it was more yellow than it should have been (indicating nic oxidation), and was quite harsh. You don't really get a buzz from it...you just get nic sick and feel nauseated.

I can trot out the study proving that vaping is safe. Proving that its FAR safer than smoking. I can also quote the chemical analysis showing that acetyl is higher in cigarettes by a factor of 300, or that the acetylaldehyde/formaldehyde doesn't actually form in vaping devices that are cleaned at least 2 times a year (simply rinsing out).

The article you quote is 100% horsecrap. To the poster to says it causes cervical cancer...prove it. Please give me just 1 case in any medical journal showing the link between vaping and any disease process, short of trauma from people who misuse their hardware.

I've vaped for a couple of years. I build my own stuff. I've read the study done by the UK government. If you have questions, ask. If you'd like to see actual medical studies, read:

www.gov.uk...

the current best estimate is that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking
nearly half the population (44.8%) don’t realise e-cigarettes are much less harmful than smoking
there is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers

I think some people get hung up on the words that get thrown around.

"not dangerous"

"safe"

and then linked studies that show them as being a percentage of harm related to smoking. If it's 95% less harmful, the remaining 5% indicates that it is, in fact, neither "safe" nor "harmless". It entails some degree of effect, over and above not using it. I think that's the difference, it depends if you are looking at it from a standpoint of cigarette use, or non usage of any similar product.

It will continue to lead to confusion, i'm sure.

You and I, I guess are the only people who are objective.....(or wrong)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Addiction.

Ha!

Ever crossed your mind that some people enjoy things that you may not? I mean I don't enjoy shooting rabits, but Im not going to tell you that you have a hunting addiction and that gun powder might just be very bad for you because...reasons....

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

www.gov.uk...

NOT INHALED

So now your defense of vaping is reduced to “ sure I smoked it but I didn’t inhale”?!! LMAO

Is that you bill!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

NOT INHALED

Ok......WHAT? This might be the retard cake of the thread right here.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nicevillegrl

the history i read states that the first use of the "technique" of vaping "herbs"
was first recorded by the ancient Egyptians

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Widespread or not...its been in use for 55 years. Estimate your own number of subjects who have safely used e-cigs over that time frame, or the total number of days vaped...whatever quantification you want to use. Its still quite large by any estimation.

If you widen your awareness to China, then the number grows considerably. The CDC says 3.7% of the US uses e-cigs.

www.cdc.gov...

Thats around 9mil.

The CDC also amends that 95% number to "as much as 99%". Which to me says, "the health risks are negligible"

Your mileage may vary.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

www.gov.uk...

Agreed

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join