It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Wins Random Draw For Virginia House Seat That Ended In A Tie

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Republican Wins Random Draw For Virginia House Seat That Ended In A Tie

Republicans across Virginia breathed a sigh of relief when moments ago a random draw determined that Republican David Yancey would keep his seat in the Virginia House of Delegates after a state official pulled his name out of a bowl Thursday, deciding a contest that ended in a tie in November. As a result of nothing more than luck, the GOP will also keep control of the chamber.

Odd turn of events, but lucky for Republicans. I suppose this is the most efficient way to decide a tie election. An election this close could be argued, recounted, and litigated for months. The impacts of this decision could become important, however.

The lucky draw has major implications as Yancey would be the 51st Republican in the 100-member House of Delegates. Before November’s elections, Republicans held 66 seats. But Democrats put up a surprisingly strong showing, netting 15 Republican-held seats — and coming within a single vote of claiming a tie.

Virginia state law allows the loser of the draw to request a second recount. Simonds said Wednesday she would not request a second recount if she lost the drawing. Yancey declined to make the same pledge, although luckily he wont have to.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
And it's nowhere near over because the libs don't like luck of the draw if it doesn't go to them.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That's not going to sit well with a lot of people.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Nor should it. It's 2018, contested elections shouldn't be decided randomly, that's insane.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadeWolf
a reply to: Byrd

Nor should it. It's 2018, contested elections shouldn't be decided randomly, that's insane.

Random is better than Diebold-voting-machine-manipulation, but yeah, I do not disagree that the law should be changed.
You work on this Virginia law. I am busy fighting Colorado dumb laws.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

God sits on the right, so it was God's will...

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust any draw done by politicians.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

I'm sure the Russians had something to do with it.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

75% at least, according to my math.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Oh look, this is the new way republicans can keep a seat.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

75% at least, according to my math.

Yes Spock, that's logical.....

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

I'm sure the Russians had something to do with it.

My first thoughts exactly. Rigged by a Russian lawyer, LOL.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Oh look, this is the new way republicans can keep a seat.

If only Hillary had gotten more of her vote out pecentage-wise.

What Happened?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Since this is my state and the town next to mine I can tell you we can accept the draw. It sucks but it's fair. That ballot really was messed up.
The district and this area are very heavy dems. He will still have to answer to the citizens.
And they're loud and in charge here. The demographics for the area are a lot of military usually Rs and a lot of university usually Ds and about a 40% African American population Usually Ds. Lots of diversity. Politics is big here. City council meetings actually get attendence. And tv coverage if you can't get to town hall.
edit on 142018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Couldn't get one of those patented democratic campaign coin tosses?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Not my call. I guess the odds are equally fair no? 50/50 right?
edit on 142018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Turn about is fair play. Alabama gets stuck with a Senator that doesn't represent the interests or viewpoints of probably 60% of the residents, now Virginia's fast growing Democrat population gets a Representative that doesn't square with their views.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Turn about is fair play. Alabama gets stuck with a Senator that doesn't represent the interests or viewpoints of probably 60% of the residents, now Virginia's fast growing Democrat population gets a Representative that doesn't square with their views.

Alabama got the guy the people elected. They didn't want Moore.
Newport news is a big city. They'll be fine. Our governor is a dem. Virginia is a blue state and he will have to answer to them. Why are you guys making such a big deal about this? What exactly do you think it's going to mean going forward? Something obviously.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I'm pretty sure the Republican was the incumbent.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Going forward?

I expect to see a lot more closely contested elections with a lot more election fraud.

But, on a possibly more interesting note.......I think we're seeing the development of an interesting trend that's grown out of the Trump election. That is the whole sale rejection of the legitimacy of the election process by Democrats over the Trump election......i.e., "Not My President". My guess is that we're going to be seeing a lot more people steadfast in their rejection of Representatives and Senators elected by the "other" party. While that may seem like a no big deal, it is in fact undermining the entire process and is de-legitimizing the Federal Government.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join