It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions: "Drugs Will Destroy Your Life," Recinds Cole Memo On Pot Legalization

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Seems Sessions isn't dragging his feet on this issue, like he has on investigating Hillary Clinton. It's obvious he's clueless on the benefits of legalizing marijuana:

Helping patients recover from PTSD...

A recent study published in Molecular Psychiatry showed that treatment using particular compounds found in marijuana may benefit those with PTSD, and that “plant-derived cannabinoids [psychoactive chemicals] such as marijuana may possess some benefits in individuals with PTSD by helping relieve haunting nightmares and other symptoms of PTSD.”

www.psychologytoday.com...

Helping folks going through chemo:

“A day doesn’t go by where I don’t see a cancer patient who has nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain, depression and insomnia,” says Dr. Donald Abrams, chief of hematology-oncology at San Francisco General Hospital and a professor of clinical medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. Marijuana, he says, “is the only anti-nausea medicine that increases appetite.”

“People are realizing that even when patients do well in terms of survival, there’s a lot of suffering along the way that needs to be addressed,” says Casarett. “For many patients, [marijuana] is an opportunity to take control over their disease and symptom management when they can't get the relief they need from the health care system.”

www.newsweek.com...

Helping people suffering from Parkinson's Disease:

Smoking cannabis appeared to reduce tremor and pain and improve sleep among Parkinson's disease patients, researchers from Israel reported here.

"We not only saw improvement in tremor in these patients, but also in rigidity and in bradykinesia," Djaldetti told MedPage Today. "I would recommend use of marijuana to my patients as a last resort if nothing else was working for them or if they had pain."

www.medpagetoday.com...

Helping epilepsy patients control their seizures:

Evidence from laboratory studies, anecdotal reports, and small clinical studies from a number of years ago suggest that cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive compound of cannabis, could potentially be helpful in controlling seizures. Conducting studies can be difficult as researchers have limited access to marijuana due to federal regulations and even more limited access to cannabidiol; there are also increased financial and time constraints.

www.epilepsy.com...

Helping people suffering from chronic pain:

Three puffs a day of cannabis, better known as marijuana, helps people with chronic nerve pain due to injury or surgery feel less pain and sleep better, a Canadian team has found.

www.webmd.com...

I have two herniated discs with permanent nerve damage to both legs. Thankfully, I responded well to physical therapy and avoided surgery. However, everyday, I suffer from sporadic, painful spasms in both legs, as well as in my lower back. I've tried icing my back and legs, aspirin, Advil, as well as a "TENS" unit for my spasms and pain. [snipped]

Sessions is ignorant. He states marijuana is "only slightly less awful" than heroin. Really? Has anyone heard of someone dying from weed? Has anyone heard of medical benefits using heroin? Or for that matter, any medical benefits smoking cigarettes? How many deaths a year caused by drunk driving? How many deaths a year from lung cancer and other diseases caused by smoking? Yet, because of powerful lobbying, people can "legally" abuse alcohol and tobacco, often resulting in tragic results. My best friend, suffered from depression, became an alcoholic and died from alcohol poisoning. He drank himself to death. Can you die from excessive pot use? You'd pass out and sleep like a baby, but you wouldn't die. Why is marijuana listed by the DEA as a Schedule I drug in the first place? Perhaps the pharmaceutical industry has a role in that. You thing that's crazy? Well here's just one example:

A pharma company that spent $500,000 trying to keep pot illegal just got DEA approval for synthetic marijuana

Insys gave $500,000 last summer to Arizonans for Responsible Drug Policy, the group opposing marijuana legalization in Arizona. The donation amounted to roughly 10 percent of all money raised by the group in an ultimately successful campaign against legalization. Insys was the only pharmaceutical company known to be giving money to oppose legalization last year, according to a Washington Post analysis of campaign finance records.

Whole-plant marijuana remains in Schedule I of the CSA, an even stricter regulatory category that designates a lack of medically accepted use in addition to a high abuse potential.

Insys has been active in marijuana policy for several years. In 2011 it wrote to the DEA to express opposition to loosening restrictions on naturally derived THC, citing “the abuse potential in terms of the need to grow and cultivate substantial crops of marijuana in the United States.”

Last year it petitioned the DEA to loosen restrictions on synthetic versions of CBD, another compound in the cannabis plant. The company is currently developing a CBD-based drug to treat pediatric epilepsy. “It appears they are trying to kill a non-pharmaceutical market for marijuana in order to line their own pockets,” a spokesman for Arizona's marijuana legalization campaign said of Insys last year.

www.washingtonpost.com... ic-marijuana/?utm_term=.cd42a488e30a

In closing, I'll leave you with this quote from Mr. Sessions.

“I reject the idea that America will be a better place if marijuana is sold in every corner store. And I am astonished to hear people suggest that we can solve our heroin crisis by legalizing marijuana – so people can trade one life-wrecking dependency for another that’s only slightly less awful,” he told law enforcement officials in March. Our nation needs to say clearly once again that using drugs will destroy your life.”

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 1/4/2018 by shawmanfromny because: punctuation

edit on 1/4/2018 by shawmanfromny because: spelling

edit on Thu Jan 4 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: T&C

+21 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sessions can go # himself.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Screw this dude.
I want to be like you and list the things it helps me with but I won't.
I will say as an adult I enjoy it and that should be all there is to it

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Jeff Sessions could find himself in trouble if enough of the population really does see the benefits of legalizing weed first-hand.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I would love for that to happen, but it probably won't. The public can't compete with lobbyists and GREED. There's just too much money being given to shady politicians from the Tobacco, Alcohol and Pharmaceutical Industries.

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Typical Republican hypocrisy. They cry “States Rights”, “States Rights!!!!!!”, until said States Rights doesn’t agree with them.

I hope the States sue his ass. He’s a piece of garbage and needs to be removed.

And a big FU to Trump for making this all possible.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
How does Sessions rescind something that was instituted by a President? Wouldn't Trump have to do that?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Maybe I want to destroy my life, Jeff. Maybe that's how I achieve "my" "pursuit of happiness"

Although, in response to OP. Marijuana has killed people and can kill people. To say it is 100% safe is a disservice to reality. It's rate of lethality would put it in the same realm as FDA approved breakfast cereals though.

I may not have the most up to date scientific analysis on marijuana, but last time I read through the NIH and NCBI and Journals of Medicine, I distinctly found 3 case studies of death attributed directly to marijuana intake, in adolescent males.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
How does Sessions rescind something that was instituted by a President? Wouldn't Trump have to do that?

I'm thinking presidents don't send memos giving guidance like that directly to the rank and file DOJ but even if that were the case, there wouldn't be anything to stop the AG from issuing new guidance.

In this case though, the memo came from the then-Deputy Jim Cole in 2013.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: jaws1975

You don’t think Trump would? If it has anything to do with Obama, Trump does his best to undo it because he’s a prick.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Cannabis is safer than sleeping.

Look up the numbers.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

First I’ve heard of this, mind providing a source? How did pot kill three whole people.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Sessions is an ass.

You forgot the sugar lobby and the millions addicted to sweets.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Sessions is an ass.

You forgot the sugar lobby and the millions addicted to sweets.

Don't forget the added sugar in practically everything these days. The body's response to sugar mimics that of a drug.

That said, who's this erkoff to take away another's right to something just because he's personally against it?

So much for states' rights, the hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

In short, males between the ages of 12 and 18 for some reason, have an increased risk for types of stroke that can be triggered by acute marijuana usage.

While this sounds like something a parent would say, to keep a teen boy from smoking reefer, I assure you, the medical community has case studies in documentation and in scrutiny of peer review, that show this exact phenomena.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

First I’ve heard of this, mind providing a source? How did pot kill three whole people.

Some dude got crushed by a pallet of Sour Diesel

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The Trump administration: locking you up because you might hurt yourself with one of the safest substances known to history.

I can't wait until this stain of a presidency is over and done with, and it's supporters can't run from the idiocy they proudly adopted.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So if he has his way, a couple things will happen.

1. everyone will continue to smoke it, regardless of the legality of it.... as people have for the last..... Forever.
2. The republican party will be out of nearly every seat come the next election cycles (don't piss on the voter base, or you will face the consequences)
3. Life will continue

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

originally posted by: Swills

Some dude got crushed by a pallet of Sour Diesel

What a way to go!! Heard they were totally smashed!!

edit on 4-1-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Have a conversation with someone who has had a few drinks, then have one with me after I smoke. Then you tell me pot is the bad drug!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join