It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump lawyers try to halt book's release as White House fights to contain firestorm

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: matafuchs

No, going to court would make the author present all of the recordings to prove them. In fact, it would be an easy way to discredit the entire book and all of the other accusations. Right?

Or prove the accusations are true.

Right?

Trump does not stand up unless he knows he is right. Like with Lewandowski and the 'violent attack'. everyone called on him but he stood by and was vindicated. Same with Manafort. He was canned because of what he was doing and Trump did not like it.

That's the funny thing: proving libel against a public (government) official.

Very difficult to do unless malicious intent (actual malice) can be proved.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Liquesence

I hope it goes on sale. Cuz im buying it.

Oh, it'll go on sale.

I want to read it, too. Not necessarily buy it, lol.

well....i may hobble up with my peg leg, move my eye patch to the other eye, and read it online somewhere. But you get the picture.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: matafuchs

No, going to court would make the author present all of the recordings to prove them. In fact, it would be an easy way to discredit the entire book and all of the other accusations. Right?

Or prove the accusations are true.

Right?

Trump does not stand up unless he knows he is right. Like with Lewandowski and the 'violent attack'. everyone called on him but he stood by and was vindicated. Same with Manafort. He was canned because of what he was doing and Trump did not like it.

That's the funny thing: proving libel against a public (government) official.

Very difficult to do unless malicious intent (actual malice) can be proved.

I think the treason claims would probably suffice for that.

However, the burden of proof would be on Trump. I do not know how he would prove the claims to be untrue. I would, however, be very interested in seeing him try.

(Or any of the numerous government officials/political figures who publicly deny scathing claims but never seem to follow through on libel complaints.)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

However, the burden of proof would be on Trump. I do not know how he would prove the claims to be untrue.

Exactly.

It's difficult for public officials (or public figures) to do, especially actual malice.

edit on 4-1-2018 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Oh, I like free online stuff people share with me, too.

I also like public libraries.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Don't worry, we're adults. We can do more than 1 thing at a time.

Besides, Congress can pass laws about DACA & our position regarding North Korea at any time. That includes special sessions called "extraordinary sessions" where members of Congress are summoned outside of the normal legislative sessions. If they're letting the conversations on ATS prevent them from doing their jobs, that says more about their incompetence than anything.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ha. I had never even heard of this book until logging on to ATS just this minute. Another Good reason to never watch the news or any TV really. Remember it used to be called the idiot Box and we were warned it would make us stupid, There are countless studies proving it. I get all the news I need from aggregated news feeds like flipbook and google news and ATS. If something looks interesting I'll dive in deeper. I'm reasonably well informed and never get caught up in the mindless drivel that is TV and radio to be fair. Now that I have Spotify, I'll probably never listen to radio again in my life. LOL

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

Bottom line: he can't block the publication of the book abroad.

So you can order it online.

What a doofus.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I hate to tell you this, but most people just don’t care anymore.

We see the media as trying to create chaos and we’ve sort of tuned out.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Based on many comments I have seen in regards to all of this Trump nonsense coming from both sides, I see people wanting to use emotion to create policy. That never ends well for anyone. How many people take legal action against someone for writing something they claim is false every week? Quite a few I would imagine. Any form of media has a process for retraction and correction to avoid legal ramifications. In this instance the emotional response is so high that some people would see that entire system for redress of grievances smashed because of one man. If we ever want to be able to get past anything that is happening currently you have to remove emotion from the situation.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Well I guess none of this really matters because now I own a copy and I am sure that many of the rest of you posting in this thread own a copy.

So regardless of Trumps motivations in having this letter sent out, it does not matter anymore because the book is now on sale.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

I hope it goes on sale. Cuz im buying it.

Oh, it'll go on sale.

I want to read it, too. Not necessarily buy it, lol.

well....i may hobble up with my peg leg, move my eye patch to the other eye, and read it online somewhere. But you get the picture.

will you have a parrot on your shoulder and a glass of rum in one hand, if so that sounds a fantastic way to read this

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes President Trumps clumsy handling of this affair just made the book become published a few days earlier

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
I hate to tell you this, but most people just don’t care anymore.

We see the media as trying to create chaos and we’ve sort of tuned out.

To be blunt, you are not most people , most people absorb their media through many outlets with real journalism and also from intelligent rational friends who don’t chow down on opinion blogs filled with absolute rubbish that is most definitely driving a wall between the political sides

The world of politics is not left and right, there is a centre ground that both sides share

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

Yes President Trumps clumsy handling of this affair just made the book become published a few days earlier

His handling of it has actually only made the book look more legitimate.

Not only has it increased the hype and therefore the number of people who are going to go out and buy it but its also made it much harder to sit back and say its all false.

Because if its false he has to prove it now and sue the guy in my view.

If Trump is so sure that this is all liable then he should sue the guy, if not then he is sending a signal to us all that this book is pretty much accurate.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

The smart thing to do would've been to ignore the book altogether, or to at least put out a miniscule press release denying & dismissing the claims. After all, tigers aren't concerned with the dealings of flies. But dude is so easily triggered that he took the bait & gave them the best global promotion they could get, and for free.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Trump's a simpering little boy, trying to make the world think he's a man. I love it. I only wish there was a way to make sure that, eventually, Trump realizes what a complete world-class fool he is, and how little the country/world thinks of his act. But, I'm afraid that would take a little more intellect than old Donny Boy has.

Trump IS Trash!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

Maybe your people have 'tuned out'. But those who hate Trump and what he's doing to this country, (which is a growing majority), are VERY interested.

Trump IS Trash!

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Wolff probably knew Trump would go ballistic so he released just enough to trigger him and get a huge book promotion.

Well played.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is just lawyer posturing. He can't take them to court.
But he's pretty much saying the book is true.

No he isn't saying the book is true. He showing that if you want to slander him, he's going to give you hell for it. As he should.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join