It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump lawyers try to halt book's release as White House fights to contain firestorm

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I find this really interesting, you are one of the biggest trump supporters

Lol, I didn't even vote for him.

Let me repeat myself, I'm for the 1st.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: antiantonym

A stupid move on the part of Trump. Free expression is paramount. If the book contains lies, then counter with more free speech, not less.

This is from a Trump supporter.

But its 100% a Trump "special move" to sue anyone who says mean things about him. You HAD to know that the books imminent release would cause him fits.

Me personally? I so enjoyed the excerpt i read this morning that I want to buy the book.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Forget that. I want to see him take this to court and have to testify under oath on what is true or not.

I think he will be too busy for this. Lots of people will be going to court. But Trump will not be one of them. Lots of people visiting Gitmo bay soon too!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

No one suppressing freedom of speech.

Link

NO 1 on the charts....

Link

They send a letter to show they mean business...but there is nothing legal yet.

Link

Such a letter carries no legal implications for Wolff or the publishing house, although a cease and desist letter is sometimes followed by legal action if it is not heeded. However, Trump's history tells us that the president and his lawyers might be much bark and little bite.

But headlines like "CAN TRUMP STOP MICHAEL WOLFF'S 'FIRE AND FURY' FROM BEING PUBLISHED?" are as bad as the book itself.

If you really want a good read, and will make you think twice about some of these issues, read this book...great inside information and not all good for Mr Trump but realistic.

Link
edit on Janpm31pmf0000002018-01-04T14:41:23-06:000223 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

There were advanced copies all over the news yesterday. They all had copies they held up . It's just not available to the general public yet.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Dude Trump is actively trying to prevent this book going to sale and as such he is actively trying to suppress freedom of speech

Dress it up all you like.

This is wrong

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Forget that. I want to see him take this to court and have to testify under oath on what is true or not.

I think he will be too busy for this. Lots of people will be going to court. But Trump will not be one of them. Lots of people visiting Gitmo bay soon too!

Sounds like some bizarre wishful thinking. What does Gitmo have to do with any of this conversation?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Bull#. How is he doing that? Has he signed an EO stating it is not the be released? No, his lawyer has sent a letter stating that what is in the book is not true. That is slander and/or defamation. You cannot just make # up and sell it. it is illegal.

I am dressing up nothing. There are plenty of other Trump hate books out there to buy.....you need to get over it.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Dude Trump is actively trying to prevent this book going to sale and as such he is actively trying to suppress freedom of speech

This is wrong

That is not correct.

Trump is seeking legal means to prevent the book from going to sale. A president could have many valid reasons for this, such as it including operational information that would jeopardize national security. Or flat out libel (the president still has rights, too).

In fact, the SOP should be that the book is reviewed prior to publication for the NatSec reason alone. Its not uncommon for officials to review books prior to publishing, and redact content that isn't legal to print.
edit on 1/4/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I wouldn't call it that. At least not totally. A cease and desist letter has no weight unless you sue and I don't think Trump would be able to sue over this (because then he'd have to go to court and actually tell the truth). This is just run-of-the-mill Trump idiotic blathering, except in legal form, to me.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This is wrong

Trump is seeking legal means to prevent the book from going to sale. A president could have many valid reasons for this, such as it including operational information that would jeopardize national security. Or flat out libel (the president still has rights, too).

So liable as already discussed on this thread is not reason to block the sale of the book

So unlesss this book is going to damage national security the yeah..... I don’t care how you want to dress it up but Trump is trying to suppress freedom of speech

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Bull#. How is he doing that? Has he signed an EO stating it is not the be released? No, his lawyer has sent a letter stating that what is in the book is not true. That is slander and/or defamation. You cannot just make # up and sell it. it is illegal.

I am dressing up nothing. There are plenty of other Trump hate books out there to buy.....you need to get over it.

This is an interesting situation. If Trump would have just dismissed the book and let it come out, we could have argued forever about the legitimacy of the claims the book made.

Now if Trump fights this and the book is allowed to be published, it will confirm that it's claims are true.

Not sure that is what Trump really wants.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I wouldn't call it that. At least not totally. A cease and desist letter has no weight unless you sue and I don't think Trump would be able to sue over this (because then he'd have to go to court and actually tell the truth). This is just run-of-the-mill Trump idiotic blathering, except in legal form, to me.

Exactly. IF this was more than posturing and he pushed to stop the release through the courts, he could end up confirming the claims he denies.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Well said. Add in the ridiculous 2016 election season as well. Virtually every norm was thrown out the window & all of this will rewrite the book on how to run a political campaign or after Trump, everyone will pretend it never happened and go back to the old ways of doing politics.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

So if someone says one thing is not true it means all the rest is true and they are hiding something? Where is that logic there?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

This is wrong

That is not correct.

In fact, the SOP should be that the book is reviewed prior to publication for the NatSec reason alone. Its not uncommon for officials to review books prior to publishing, and redact content that isn't legal to print.

Trump has very little legal ground on which to prevent its release.

If there was a national security issue they would use that excuse, because it a valid legal point to attempt prior restraint. From what I have read, they haven't made that argument, it's just him pissed off because it says bad and embarrassing things about him.

Again, libel is not a valid reason for prior restraint. Neither is simply being butthurt.
edit on 4-1-2018 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

originally posted by: intrptr
Blowing our Trumpet from the ATS pulpit. At this time the top of the front page is full of Trumpeteer threads.

We should rename it, Above Trump Secret.

We're watching probably the biggest meltdown of a U.S. federal administration since Nixon. We should be discussing these details because it's history in the making. This is essential conspiracy content for now and all time.

This meltdown will go down in history, it will be discussed and dissected until the U.S. no longer exists, and it could be the most significant conspiracy-related news of our lifetimes.

This is essential stuff.

Interesting imagination.

The book is false. It has quotes such as “Trump never wanted to be president “

Seriously? So he was the most active and hard working candidate flying around state to state rallying and he didn’t want to be president? Or was hoping to lose? And his family??

Only Trump haters want to believe that.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

So if someone says one thing is not true it means all the rest is true and they are hiding something? Where is that logic there?

There is no logic in that.

That is not what I said.

How you came up with that is beyond me.

What I did say is that if Trump takes this to court and loses, it gives the books claims quite a bit of credability.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A stupid move on the part of Trump. Free expression is paramount. If the book contains lies, then counter with more free speech, not less.

This is from a Trump supporter.

But its 100% a Trump "special move" to sue anyone who says mean things about him. You HAD to know that the books imminent release would cause him fits.

Me personally? I so enjoyed the excerpt i read this morning that I want to buy the book.

Oh Trump is probably pooping himself right now.

Mission Accomplished for everyone who wanted to turn focus away from DACA, North Korea, etc.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What I did say is that if Trump takes this to court and loses, it gives the books claims quite a bit of credability.

No, going to court would make the author present all of the recordings to prove them. In fact, it would be an easy way to discredit the entire book and all of the other accusations. Right?

Trump does not stand up unless he knows he is right. Like with Lewandowski and the 'violent attack'. everyone called on him but he stood by and was vindicated. Same with Manafort. He was canned because of what he was doing and Trump did not like it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join