It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody installed the Windows Patch for the Chip Security "Meltdown/Spectre" Issue yet?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

Meltdown and Spectre: ‘worst CPU bugs ever’ affect virtually all computers

Everything from smartphones and PCs to cloud computing affected by major security flaw found in Intel and other processors – and fix could slow devices

I am just downloading the update now. I am hoping that it does not slow my system down too much, fingers crossed.

I need as much CPU as I can get. I am always running out even with a biggger machine.

It is installing as I write. Mommy, please don't let it slow my system down, lol, or I'll cry!

Restarting right now! I shall report back in a moment...hopefully not too long a moment!

edit on 4-1-2018 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jan 4 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

30% loss what I read. 30%.

AMD shares surge on report of an Intel chip security flaw
edit on 4-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Nope, I lucked out and just bought (3 days ago) a laptop with an AMD processor. Plus, no one is going to hack your stuff anyway.

This is why I hate technology and reporters of technology. Every exploit you ever read about and find out about has been found by whatever manufacturer's team, working around the clock to break into their own crap.

Basically, the only people that are ever trying to hack into your s##t are people working for the company who sold it to you. Then, nobody knows about it (or ever would, for that matter) until they start writing articles all over the damn place, giving step by step instructions for hackers out there.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yes, I read that, too.

Well I am back and my big machine is not noticing it.

I am multi tasking at the moment and it is fine.

Perhaps it is more of a big business/corporation server thing where every last millisecond matters as they run everything to the hilt; money is time, et c?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed the patch on their windows Intel lap top (or Apple/Linux).

I have not "melted down" yet and no "spectre" has gobbled me up.

In fact, my audio interface appears to be more stable. I am having to use my Focurite USB audio interface as my RME is in Germany for repairs (probably needs new capacitors). It is not as smooth running on the buffers as the RME. Not one skip or slow down so far. How weird, that it is in fact playing audio better.

I think my audio is preffering this change in the kernel relationship and conversation. I expect I will lose a little cpu when I am running a full mix, but I am always having to compromise and bounce tracks any way. There has not been a CPU that can "take all I got to give", lol.

Happy new year not a blue year Ignoranceisntbliss!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Basically, the only people that are ever trying to hack into your s##t are people working for the company who sold it to you.

Hahahahaha! You are very funny! Hilarious!

Yep, them and the Security Services "just checkin' " dudes.

Yes, I used to use AMD, but I can get huge Intel machines for cut price that have been used by the corporations. I would not be able to afford such a big PC any other way. You can get them for a third of the price of a new model.

Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

NO DOUBT about it. Not one skip. The audio is better. The Focusrite likes this new approach, this "new conversation" style, lol.

I think I will adopt it, too, for ATS.

So, Colonel Kernel, thanks for the Audio!

No skips and stutters here, Bob!

Not joking, the audio is actually performing much better. What a bit of luck!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Im screwed.

MY q9550 is already slow as snip.

I update.

I might was well just quit entirely.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
ive heard the losses really depend on what u do with your pc. most people probly wont ever notice a difference. the thing id like to know is intel has effectively sold defective products so as a consumer shouldnt we have the right to a refund or replacement of said defective product?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Im screwed.

MY q9550 is already slow as snip.

I update.

I might was well just quit entirely.

I reckon it will not make too much difference for you. My machine is running really well, better than before. I am actually starting to believe somebody may have been using my machine. The audio and video is much better. In the updates there are some good fixes, too.

If ever you want to get a big machine look on Ebay. Some sellers there sell used Dells and HPS, huge gteat machines , and they are cheaper than a new reasonable quality laptop.

All the best, Neo

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
ive heard the losses really depend on what u do with your pc. most people probly wont ever notice a difference. the thing id like to know is intel has effectively sold defective products so as a consumer shouldnt we have the right to a refund or replacement of said defective product?

Yes, it seems more to do with file writing. When I am saving an audio project as a wav for the first time it takes a few minutes to create the file; video takes much longer of course. I think maybe it could be here that an extra bit of time will be added on. That is not a problem to me. It will do the same task, just take a little while longer.

I am impressed with the audio. That was not even part of the fix. It appears that making the chip changes is very friendly to audio. It is definite. I have not had one stutter when multitasking. Before the update it was terrible with the spare audio interface I am having to use. Now it is well smooth. I will keep my eyes open to see if anyone else notices this and if it is a good side effect not anticipated.

I feel somehow that my PC is not being held back, really strange. May be someone was using some of my cpu for their own fiendish motives?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm updating it right now.

I can't really take the chance.

I can't put my financial accounts at risk.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yes, it is best to run things a little slower and have the peace of mind (and "chip", too).

Good luck!

If you get a chance please come back and let me know if it slows anything down. Would be good info for other members, too.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
From the looks of it as of now the big performance impact is on heavy duty stuff that accesses the kernel a lot with heavy I/O, so most user-space work will barely notice a difference depending on the task.

But some early benchmarks are showing quite a significant performance hit for the server market,more benchmarks to come and we will get a better picture.

Although the expected performance hit is hardly the problem, the crazy part is Intel pretty much knew about this for quite a while and did nothing, who knows how many systems might have been compromised by this, apparently you can't even tell if a system was compromised by this.

By the looks of it Intel is already scrambling and lying to do some heavy damage control, if this keeps developing Intel is gonna take a pretty big hit.
edit on 4 1 2018 by Vamana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is more than likely a back door purposefully put there.

With the NSA tools being outed, it's likely INTEL is trying to cover tracks/save face some how.

Nothing is coincidence.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I tried to update it.

After an hour of fighting stupid arse windows update.

I gave up.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I tried to update it.

After an hour of fighting stupid arse windows update.

I gave up.

I am sorry to hear about that. I had quite a learning curve regarding updates and Windows generally. Been with it now since 2001 ( A Space Oddity, hehe!). Every problem I have had I have learned how to fix it. Sometimes it has taken even a few days of searching, but the answers re there. If you want me to help you, PM me. It is a good way to learn with Windows solving the problems along the way. Windows is very versatile.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vamana

Although the expected performance hit is hardly the problem, the crazy part is Intel pretty much knew about this for quite a while and did nothing, who knows how many systems might have been compromised by this, apparently you can't even tell if a system was compromised by this. By the looks of it Intel is already scrambling and lying to do some heavy damage control, if this keeps developing Intel is gonna take a pretty big hit.

Yes, I agree. Their share value is falling because of this. All the way I think was a deliberate back door and it backfired perhaps and ended up with the CIA and others being compromised because of it? Very possible scenario.

I bet they have another back door now. No way would they let us have "that much" privacy where our computers are really are secure.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Right? it almost screams backdoor when you think about it - an attacker can access memory off of a system pretty much incognito since from what I understood it can't really be detected because the hardware is failing to enforce proper privileges, Intel's words > "A method for an attacker to observe contents of privileged memory, circumventing expected privilege levels."

Basically even running VM doesn't help since this can just execute inside the VM and access the rest of your system's memory, and access every other VM running on that CPU, for the server market this is crazy bad imo - no wonder they are trying to "fix" it so fast.

Honestly makes you wonder with all these data breaches lately maybe this exploit was used? since most data centers probably run Intel CPU's.

The statement Intel gave they put "bug" "flaw" are they saying they designed it this way? how is it not a flaw when the hardware is failing to do what it is suppose to do? or is it? or are they saving face and trying to avoid any legal responsibility by pretending it isn't their hardware that's at fault?(so far clearly it is).

Man what a mess either way, I wonder how this will develop further.
edit on 4 1 2018 by Vamana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Info here

Win10 gets it now, 7 and 8 have to wait until next week
news.softpedia.com...

www.pcworld.com...

Massive security vulnerabilities in modern CPUs are forcing a redesign of the kernel software at the heart of all major operating systems. Since the issues—dubbed Meltdown and Spectre—exist in the CPU hardware itself, Windows, Linux, Android, Macs, Chromebooks, and other operating systems all need to protect against it. And worse, it appears that plugging the hole will negatively affect your PC’s performance.

Everyday home users shouldn’t panic too much, though. Just apply the latest operating system updates and keep your antivirus software vigilant, as ever.

www.onmsft.com...

And, more on the slowdown
www.neowin.net...

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
This is more than likely a back door purposefully put there.

I don't think this was a back door, as, although it gives access to all of the memory, it's not an easy way of getting information about what people are doing in the computer, as they would had to know what was on the memory, and while a simple text file is easy to understand an image or a video is not, and it would give them a lot of work just to know what someone was doing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join