It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Hortons heirs cut paid breaks after minimum wage hike

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yup.

Tim Hortons in Canada make a decent living with little effort.

No reason that this one isn't 'profitable'... bitching and moaning about a "wage hike" that happens just about every bloody year, so nothing unusual that they shouldn't already be well aware of.

Well, now they're going to get a taste of what it truly means to struggle to make ends meet when everybody takes their coffee and donut habits to the other Tim Hortons 3 blocks down the street.

No love loss for the employees, plenty of minimum wage jobs to go around. Not to mention that someone else will step in to buy up that Tim Hortons franchise location within less than 6 months of these owners shutting down.

Buying into a Tim Hortons franchise is pretty much a guaranteed gravy train in this country.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: ColeYounger

If they don't get the $$$ at work, they pick the pocket of the tax payer with bridge cards and medicaid.

...which is a problem that also needs addressing in the USA.

And there seems to be things we can do.

Everything stays the same and continue can kicking
Pay goes up-off public ass
Pay stays the same and the poor are not allowed on public assistance
Living wage and medical is publicly funded

The true cost of our products are hidden in subsidies, public assistance and corporate welfare queens.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

How can management, franchisees, and HR be so stupid.
a reply to: olaru12

They are not stupid, they are increasing profits. The less they pay the more the corporation keeps. If costs go up, so should the products.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Paul Ryan has stated that the welfare system and the dole are next on the list of issues the GOP intends to fix in 2018. This fix will hopefully (and presumably) also take a major chunk out of the deficit.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Are you suggesting that unions pushed all 5oo companies to mexico?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Paul Ryan has stated that the welfare system and the dole are next on the list of issues the GOP intends to fix in 2018. This fix will hopefully (and presumably) also take a major chunk out of the deficit.

How much of the deficit is from welfare?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
My thoughts exactly. A Tim hortons franchise are cash cows, it would take lots of severe mismanagement to not profit. Everyone I have met who owns one is upper middle class bordering rich status bringing in 6 figures.
This one tims seemed to have a decent business model with benefits, but they just can't seem to shake off a bit of their own take home pay it to have happy emplyees it seems. Greedy if you ask me.

I would imagine that every Tim's owner makes over 6 figures, but mostly because you have to make that much to get your name on the franchisee wait list.

No, not every Tim's location is profitable.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This speaks more to the greed of the company than to the minimum wage hike. It's almost as if the only ones who should be allowed to benefit are the ones at the top.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I guess I'll pass by the Tim Hortons for some mom and pop non franchise operation.

I wonder if a twitter or facebook campaign against TH will have any effect?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

How much of the deficit is from welfare?

Feds spend around $700 Billion per year on welfare and state governments add another $500 Billion to that (that's mostly taken from various federal programs that require federal/state cost sharing and matching funds.) Feds ended 2017 with a $666 Billion deficit so... hell, why split hairs, all of the current deficit is from welfare.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This speaks more to the greed of the company than to the minimum wage hike. It's almost as if the only ones who should be allowed to benefit are the ones at the top.

They are the ones holding 100% of the risks.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

They even said they didn't ask for the pay raise. They're much worse off now.

They are not worse off.

They have more cash they can rely on.

They may get less benefits, but the thing about benefits is that some people use them and others don't.

So, there's no even distribution of compensation when benefits are received in lieu of cash.

The companies must cut something. They have to make the same or more profit all the time.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Yup, my friend was interested in one..huge waiting list.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
facts are facts

automation is displacing the entire workforce in the near future things will have to change

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What part of welfare are you talking about?

Generally I think when we talk about welfare we think food stamps and medical

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The risks of what? Losing a tiny chunk of their billions in profits?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I would have liked to pay my workers better and supply more benefits when I had my business. But I couldn't, the money coming in did not justify me giving any more benefits than I did. I sure wasn't going to make negative profit on my business, I actually made less money per hour overall than some of my employees when you figured the hours I had put in.

This will be happening all over the place, I do not know why people can't predict this kind of stuff is going to happen. It is not the business's fault, they only have so much income, they have to stay competitive.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Tim hortons took a nose dive years ago when they changed their coffee. I used to drink 2-3 cups a day then heard they sold the chain then a while later the coffee started tasting like hot water. Their products are crap

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Minimum wages go up regularly in Canada, usually once a year to try to keep up with inflation/cost of living. Each province sets its own minimum wage rates based on cost of living in that particular province.

If a profitable franchise like Tim Horton's can't make ends meet paying minimum wages to part-time employess without government welfare, then no business can.

Tim Horton's in Canada is one of the most popular businesses across the country, literally.

So if this one particular location can't cut it while plenty of others can and do, well then...

Buh bye, Timmy's of Cobourg, Ontario... don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

if you can't pay your employees, there's something wrong with your business model
and you deserve to fail

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I would have liked to pay my workers better and supply more benefits when I had my business. But I couldn't, the money coming in did not justify me giving any more benefits than I did. I sure wasn't going to make negative profit on my business, I actually made less money per hour overall than some of my employees when you figured the hours I had put in.

This will be happening all over the place, I do not know why people can't predict this kind of stuff is going to happen. It is not the business's fault, they only have so much income, they have to stay competitive.

This was a Canadian business, my understanding of Tim Hortons in Canada is that the franchise is heavily saturated, there's one on practically every block. Maybe the customer base is just getting spread to thin? There's no reason every other business can handle $15/hour minimum wage but this one can't.

<< 1    3 >>

join