It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars WARMER Than 14 States of America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
It has more oxygen than Michigan, too!

And better water quality than Flint MI

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is more likely that something like this will happen rather than colonization of Mars.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I hear that Venus is hotter than a few states too...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: tadaman
I have a STRONG feeling that there is an effort to downplay the possibility of colonising Mars.

How many people would you expect there to be on Mars before they declare independence and vote to not let anybody else come to the planet?

It's less about mass of population and more about when they can make themselves self-sufficient. It does you no good to declare your independence if Earth can simply stop feeding you and you die.

Ummm...I think that prudence would require self sufficiency be an overarching objective from inception...

That's why I would send a couple of small reactors to supplement the power structure until wind/solar/? methods of production were able to handle the needs of the population...a very closed and birth controlled population/society...

I think independence would be best served by economic stability/independence first and not merely self sufficiency...

IMO...of course...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
so much people seam to not relize about colonizing mars .
One as much as possibly would need to be ether underground or covered in 2 feet of dirt as all the radiation earths atmosphere blocks gets to mars ground .
so It would be a dismal life .
2 The gravity is only 33 % of earths so if you weigh 198 pounds here it would be 66 pounds there .
Because of this any one living there would quickly be never able to go back to earth as loss of bone and mussels and any kids there would be forever .
500 years goes by they would be so changed we may well no longer be the same species .

so mars is ether a quick visit or one way trip .
as for any thing else 7000 - 10000 people would be more then enough that in 10 - 20 years they would need no out side help Even if a bad event happens . ten smallish towns spread out in different places .
water check resources ( iron lots i am sure every resource we have on earth is there waiting to be mined .

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

You can't have both independence/liberty and high degrees of control though.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So what are you suggesting we train prospective Martian colonists by sending them to live in a spartan place like North Korea under military rule?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Planette

Temperature extremes are still rather aggressive on Mars as is the lack of radiation protection down to the thin atmosphere, so if we do venture there one day we are going to be dwelling underground in the long-term sort of some form terraforming process becoming available.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There is some speculation on creating an "artificial magnetosphere" on mars that would lead to colonization. Certainly not possible in my lifetime.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Loads of different proposals exist regarding terraforming Mars that range from introducing Oxygen producing algae to the use of thermonuclear warheads.

Don't see it happening in my lifetime nether(possibly at the very end) but 50-100 years down the line it may be possible, especially if the Singularity occurs, allowing exponential processing power applied to the associated problems and issues. cheers:
edit on 3-1-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Without a magnetosphere or something to shield it from solar winds any meaningful atmosphere would be stripped away. The key is energy. with a partial or swarm dyson sphere energy needs would be solved, but at that point, there may be no need to colonize Mars because one could construct a much better habitat in space.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
It is more likely that something like this will happen rather than colonization of Mars.

No chance this is the only Dyson Sphere humans will see.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Strange we have no comment about the OP using the word firmament so are they a Creationist or a Flat Earther or worse still a Creationist Flat Earther.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Or, even worse, a Creationist Flat Marser.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

If we are building Dyson type structures the only thing we will be using Mars for is material, then again any civilization that attains the technology to do so will probably have already addressed there energy production and concerns in ways we have yet to fully realize are even possible.

Dyson type structures equate to beings with the power of God(or thereabouts) playing cosmic Lego.

edit on 4-1-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

So what are you suggesting we train prospective Martian colonists by sending them to live in a spartan place like North Korea under military rule?

Not remotely.

I am suggesting that Mars will not suddenly refuse immigrants after it meets minimum levels of inhabitants for genetic viability because the only way to maintain itself going forward would be for strict breeding controls -- this woman and that man, etc.

As I see any frontier as a place for people to go to escape such things, I don't see Mars imposing that kind of control easily. Or else I see a whole lot of illegal Martians. It is an entire planet after all.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Cauliflower

Not remotely.

I am suggesting that Mars will not suddenly refuse immigrants after it meets minimum levels of inhabitants for genetic viability because the only way to maintain itself going forward would be for strict breeding controls -- this woman and that man, etc.

As I see any frontier as a place for people to go to escape such things, I don't see Mars imposing that kind of control easily. Or else I see a whole lot of illegal Martians. It is an entire planet after all.

Your great great great great grand children won't even see that look how long it took to build the ISS only 254 miles from the surface of the Earth, others talking about terraforming big problem no magnetic field to protect the Martian atmosphere.

The amount of energy & material to build a Dyson Sphere makes that a joke from the start.
edit on 5-1-2018 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Venus is hotter than Hell, which has an annual ambient temperature around 135 degrees Fahrenheit.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

At present levels of technology, you are right.

Thing is that the innovation required to solve the problem of maintaining a viable base on first the Moon and then Mars would likely provoke another huge technological explosion. We're still riding the coattails of the last space program in many ways.

For one thing, in order to colonize a place like the Moon or Mars, there will be no fossil fuels, so the energy problem will have to be solved as soon as possible. Sure nuclear in the short term, but long term, there would have to be a viable solution and that could come back to Earth and do what the greenies keep whining about --- replace fossil fuels with something cleaner.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Venus is hotter than Hell, which has an annual ambient temperature around 135 degrees Fahrenheit.

I think you missed it by a few degrees...

The average temperature on Venus is 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius).

Surface pressure would be like 1 km below the ocean...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join