It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars WARMER Than 14 States of America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I heard there is something called a “bomb cyclone”? Off the east coast.

Make it coldest in 100 yrs.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: LSU0408

Who knows. I simply stated what is happening now.

I know. But do you think it will level back out if there's a growth in ice again?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I got an alert from Live Science that talked about that this morning... Maybe they can pass some more of that frigid air down this way.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Planette

I have a STRONG feeling that there is an effort to downplay the possibility of colonising Mars.

The mass exodus would not really leach talent and energy but would destroy existing power structures.

Why stay or keep what you got when somewhere not too far from you there are people just making entire worlds and new realities?

We may see competing civilizations rise. very quickly. New ways of thought perverting everything...

edit on 1 3 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Who knows. I simply stated what is happening now.

I know. But do you think it will level back out if there's a growth in ice again?

I don't know. I simply wanted to know why I needed to put my heat on here in Florida so I had looked up the reason behind the cold.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

You could turn on your lawn sprinkler and run through it a couple times to get a real Alaskan-style adventure!

That would be what it is like here: thick, heavy, wet stuff.

Wild to think Louisiana has the same air temperature as we do!

38181, sorry to hear about the frozen pipes! We had the circulating motor go out in the apartment complex a couple years ago. I got a nice "ice plug" in the circulating baseboard heater in one room (right when it was about to drop back down to the basement). I'm glad it did not expand and crack the pipe. I've helped others out when that happened... what a mess! And my soldering skills suck!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome

A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F

www.space.com...

That fact always amazes me.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
...k.. Now where'd I put my lead flip-flops...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Summer at the equator can get up to 70 F but at night it can drop to minus 100 degrees F.

Screw that.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
I have a STRONG feeling that there is an effort to downplay the possibility of colonising Mars.

How many people would you expect there to be on Mars before they declare independence and vote to not let anybody else come to the planet?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Id say its not only dependant on population size as the idea when feasible is the threat.

I would still venture to say that as soon as COLLECTIVELY, on mars if 3-7 thousand people were present, a significant catalyst for Independence is present as well.

It is unavoidable. Their independence is everyone's.

A world being built somewhere ELSE will remake this one as well.

edit on 1 3 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Given the power structure here a clean slate would be awfully attractive. It's what drove colonization of the Americas -- the need to get away from the Old World and how those people did things.

I could see it driving a rush to Mars too.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

How many people would you expect there to be on Mars before they declare independence and vote to not let anybody else come to the planet?

It's less about mass of population and more about when they can make themselves self-sufficient. It does you no good to declare your independence if Earth can simply stop feeding you and you die.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I would still venture to say that as soon as COLLECTIVELY, on mars if 3-7 thousand people were present, a significant catalyst for Independence is present as well.

So if there's anybody out there who wants to colonize Mars, they better be up near the front of the line or they can pretty much forget it.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

3,000 to 7,000 individuals is right at the minimum break even point to sustain genetic viability assuming no unforeseen catastrophies.

Almost certainly any population on Mars going forward would have immigration.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Almost certainly any population on Mars going forward would have immigration.

And a Martian baby boom at some point, further hastening the closure of their borders.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Even Australia and New Zealand have immigration and they are very restrictive with their standards.

The only way Mars would every completely close their borders is if they completely fell out with Earth.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Before anyone can colonize Mars colonization of space would happen first including the moon. But, there is a big problem that would make earth governments hold back such endeavors until they had a way to strictly control such elements.

Just imagine disgruntled colonists feeling pressured fight back against earth. They do not need nuclear bombs or heavy weaponry. All they need is enough thrust to push a planet-killing asteroid in the direction of earth. Does anyone think our governments would allow such a danger to exist?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Not easily, but since space is increasingly privatized at the moment, they may not have a choice. Corporations may do what the governments will not. All it takes is for asteroid mining to become a thing and asteroid moving technology will exist shortly thereafter.
edit on 3-1-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

a reply to: pavil

Summer at the equator can get up to 70 F but at night it can drop to minus 100 degrees F.

Screw that.

Yeah but life has the possibility of existing in those ranges, albeit in simple forms.

To quote that great thinker, Jeff Goldblum:

Life will find a way

edit on 3-1-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join