It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is Nunez compliance day deadline for the DoJ!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
How much you want to bet we see them continue to stone wall this and get held in contempt.

See...all these fantastic tales about Fusion and drunken bar talks always come out before the real story to try to cover it up.

Let's see if the media reports on what the outcome is shall we?

But now a new story is about to bust open, involving Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. Nunes sent a letter Thursday to the Justice Department demanding compliance by Wednesday with the subpoenas his committee issued for information on how the department and its FBI subsidiary have handled the Russia probe.

If the Justice Department stonewalls, the House could launch contempt proceedings or even vote to declassify and release some of the documents.

Nunes didn’t mince words in his letter. Noting the four months of stonewalling he’s gotten, he concluded that “at this point it seems the DOJ (Justice Department) and FBI need to be investigating themselves.”

Nunes documented a series of evasive maneuvers by the Justice Department. As a result of these maneuvers, documents and witnesses subpoenaed by his committee last August have still not been produced. Most relate to the dossier of unverified alleged connections – some financial and some salacious – between Donald Trump and Russia, compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele.

The dossier was paid for by the Democratic National Committee and the Hillary Clinton campaign. But it attracted the attention of the FBI, which dispatched three agents to interview Steele in Rome. The FBI even planned a few weeks before the 2016 election to pay Steele to continue his work.

Nunes wants to know if the FBI went further and caused the Steele dossier to be used as a justification for warrants to engage in the surveillance of Trump campaign figures before the election. The congressman’s letter raises the intriguing question: are there two forms of possible collusion from the 2016 campaign that need to investigated?

One topic of investigation could be possible contacts between Team Trump and Russia. The other topic could be possible collusion between intelligence officials and purveyors of partisan political dirt to launch surveillance against U.S. citizens and taint Trump before voters went to the polls.

Is the media capable of covering both stories? While Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe grinds on, shouldn’t we also know if Nunes is right that “DOJ/FBI’s intransigence ... is part of a broader pattern of behavior?”  

In other words, is there a cover-up going on?

Now what I really thought was interesting was Grahams quotes in this story.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who bitterly opposed Trump in the 2016 presidential primaries and has often been harshly critical of him as president, went so far to tell Fox News on Friday that a special counsel should be appointed to look into the handling of the Steele dossier by the Justice Department and FBI.

“I've spent some time in the last couple of days, after a lot of fighting with the Department of Justice, to get the background on the dossier, and here's what I can tell your viewers,” Graham said. “I'm very disturbed about what the Department of Justice did with this dossier, and we need a special counsel to look into that, because that's not in Mueller's charter.”

Graham continued: “And what I saw, and what I've gathered in the last couple of days, bothers me a lot, and I'd like somebody outside DOJ to look into how this dossier was handled and what they did with it….. After having looked at the history of the dossier, and how it was used by the Department of Justice, I'm really very concerned, and this cannot be the new normal.”

Graham’s key point is that he has new information explaining why the Justice Department has a motive to withhold witnesses and documents from Nunes. In other words, a cover-up may be going on.

Source

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

If the DOJ doesn't comply, we'll find out what NUNES is made of.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

What legal avenue does nunes have? Maybe it's above his pay grade.

Is the DOJ required to comply?

It seems vague. Particularly if it's part of the mueller probe how it is released.

Didn't GPS give a closed hearing in the Senate judiciary?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

It seems vague. Particularly if it's part of the mueller probe how it is released.

He can charge them with contempt.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Contempt of Congress possibly bit the DOJ doesn't have to release the documents to nunes if I understand correctly. They have there own cards to play as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Nunes says he WILL do just that. But then we're back to Jeff Sessions not being what he claims to be..
www.foxnews.com...

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Whatever it is its gotta be juicy because they tried to character assassinate Nunes before this but the House Ethics Committee cleared him. I guess this had to piss him off more. I'm fine with it. Release the hounds already.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Nunes says he WILL do just that. But then we're back to Jeff Sessions not being what he claims to be..
www.foxnews.com...

If Nunes can turn up the heat and make Jeff Sessions squirm, that's fine with me.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I would even consider pay per view.

One thing liberals, independents, and conservatives agree on, is Jeff Sessions is a terrible AG. Hell he doesn't even seem like a competent lawyer. The guy seems to think his personal projects are the most important things the DOJ should be doing. The only useful thing he has done is go after a cartel.
edit on 3-1-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hey,
what the heck?
Doesn't congress or whatever authorize funding to the doj?

Cutting off funds seems a just avenue. Getting something for nothing is a perversion of "justice."
DOJ

The United States Department of Justice (DOJ), also known as the Justice Department, is a federal executive department of the U.S. government, responsible for the enforcement of the law and administration of justice in the United States, equivalent to the justice or interior ministries of other countries. The department was formed in 1870 during the Ulysses S. Grant administration. In its early years, the DOJ vigorously prosecuted Ku Klux Klan members.
The Department of Justice administers several federal law enforcement agencies including the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). The department is responsible for investigating instances of financial fraud, representing the United States government in legal matters (such as in cases before the Supreme Court), and running the federal prison system.[3][4] The department is also responsible for reviewing the conduct of local law enforcement as directed by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.[5]
The department is headed by the United States Attorney General, who is nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate and is a member of the Cabinet. The current Attorney General is Jeff Sessions.

The Justice Department was authorized a budget for Fiscal Year 2015 of approximately $31 billion. The budget authorization is broken down as follows

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

It's not going to get a vote from congress. Nines is pretty much grand standing IMO as GPS has given closed testimony and I believe other committees have the dossier.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

a reply to: loveguy

It's not going to get a vote from congress. Nines is pretty much grand standing IMO as GPS has given closed testimony and I believe other committees have the dossier.

It's not the testimony or the dossier he's after....it's the records of their being paid for by the FBI and what the FISA warrant said.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Considering he ran to the president before, the doj has a pretty easy legal argument and autthority to protect the investigation IMO.

The doj is full of top lawyers. I would bet on they know the law and the rules. Sessions maybe not but it isn't him.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The Right is getting a lot of play out of a few ominously suggestive if entirely vague and insubstantial lines from Lindsey Graham.

If he knows something, why not just lead with that? For the same reason that Nunes pretends to have the goods but instead of dropping the hammer, grandstands about "stonewalling." In my opinion, it's a political war of attrition waged through insinuation and tantalizing innuendo that never materializes into anything.

Some on the Left are now speculating that Graham has been compromised in some way. People pointing to statements he made a year ago about how his "campaign account" was hacked. The narrative on the Right is that Lindsey Graham has been given access to some cache of damning info presumably collected by Nunes and has finally seen the light.

I think the reality is probably far more mundane. Just look at Graham's Twitter feed for the last month. Most of his tweeting is about a few things:

1. The GOP tax bill
2. Repealing Obamacare
3. Iran & NK

The fact is as big of an embarrassing douche as Trump is, when it comes to legislation, Trump is fully onboard with the GOP leadership. And with a victory on the tax plan under their belt and midterm elections 11 months from now, the GOP establishment is finally settled down behind the Republican President.

edit on 2018-1-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Something tells me graham's hacked emails wouldn't be a surprise to anyone,..we already know Lindsey...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
For people who want to think this behavior of stonewalling at the DoJ is just because the Rep. controlled Congress is one a partisan witch hunt, Power Line has been covering an incident with a medical device manufacturer that took place over five years.

This article has a video in it that you should watch in which the defendant details his experience. It's long, but worth the watch. Some of the names involved in this will not be unknown: Sally Yates and Amy Klobuchar.

The jury in this case threw out the case so quickly it only took a day including time spent electing a foreman.

Several groups and conferences have wanted to feature this case, but the DoJ has absolutely refused to participate at every turn and they have refused to make any comment on the case at all.

Andrew McCarthy and Conrad Black have also taken note of this case.

This is completely outside the realm of what we've all been talking about, but it's important to note that it shows the DoJ using the same tactics they are now using on Congress in this matter. So the corruption here is indeed corruption and not just petty partisan bickering. The sooner, IMO, we shake this thing out, the better for all of us.

The DoJ is the very last place in the US we want corruption to be rooted.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Is this when they just show up and start removing file boxes?

Damned if that wouldn't be a sight to see, not that I think it will actually ever happen...yeah, I'm that cynical.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I think they need to get any and every LEO who's every been told by an FBI officer that he's just been removed from jurisdiction to handle that job.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So did he comply?
What happened?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Some people on Twitter are reporting that Paul Ryan just had a short meeting with Rod Rosenstein and dodged all the reporters afterwards. I guess they are not happy that Nunes is not letting it go.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join