It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senior Palestinian leader: 'Trump has sabotaged our search for peace, freedom and justice'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   

A senior Palestinian leader has expressed outrage at President Donald Trump's threat to cut funding to the Palestinian Authority, calling his tweets "blackmail."

Hanan Ashrawi said in a statement on Wednesday that Trump "singlehandedly destroyed the very foundations of peace" by recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital last month. She says the Palestinians "will not be blackmailed."
www.whec.com...

I find the logic of calling this situation "blackmail" to be fascinating. Blackmail normally means to demand money from someone in return for not revealing compromising information about them.

How can anyone spin this situation into the U.S. "blackmailing" the Palestinians? I need someone to explain that to me.

I think the Palestinians are tragic victims here. They're having their land stolen from them, and if they don't take it with a smile, then they're going to be crushed even further and more quickly.

I don't have any idea why so many Trumpers still think Trump cares a lot about improving human rights. Just about everything he's done disproves that notion.
edit on 3-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

the notion that " jerusulem = the capital of isreal " has ""singlehandedly destroyed the very foundations of peace " is the absolute confirmation that the " palestinians " dont want peace

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Another leech group/country showing indignation because President Trump is changing course to enact responsible stewardship of our taxpayer dollars.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
One thing that I don't understand:

How can a civilisation that is 600 years old, claim a religious landmark that belongs to another civilisation that is 6,000 years old?

I ask in all earnestness

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Hanan Ashrawi said in a statement on Wednesday that Trump "singlehandedly destroyed the very foundations of peace" by recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital last month.

But he didn't, didn't he? Jerusalem was recognized as Israel's capital by the US senate back in 95.
How is this "destroys the foundations of peace" is beyond me.

I think the Palestinians are tragic victims here. They're having their land stolen from them, and if they don't take it with a smile, then they're going to be crushed even further and more quickly.

I don't think they need to "take it with a smile". The only thing they need to do is to agree to make peace.
Back in 2008 they were offered an internationally controlled Jerusalem and a Palestinian state based on 68t green line - basically everything they wanted. This offer was rejected. Source
They Palestinians are the underdog in this fight, but they are no victim.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
One thing that I don't understand:

How can a civilisation that is 600 years old, claim a religious landmark that belongs to another civilisation that is 6,000 years old?

I ask in all earnestness

Because the Israeli civilisation ceased to exist and Jerusalem has since become a capital for other religions. Israel today is nothing more than a construct of modern territorial establishments.

Jerusalem is best divided from its religiosity if there is to be any lasting peace.
edit on 3-1-2018 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Do you want the honest answer? It starts with the questions "Who are Palestinians?" and "When and why did the Jewish people leave Jerusalem in the first place?".

For the first question, "Palestinians" are simply the people who stayed in Palestine after the Jews left for good in the early 600s AD. About 20% are Christians and the rest are mostly Muslims. The province was given different names like "Syria Palaestina" and "Palaestina" by the Romans who'd made it into their province around 130AD, hence "Palestinians".

And for the 2nd question, I went into detail in this post in a previous thread (HERE). Nobody ever talks about why the Jewish people abandoned the region for more than 1,200 years, and there's a reason they don't talk about it.

Basically, a fake Jewish Messiah led a revolt against the Romans to reclaim Judea but he failed in the early 100s AD. 200 years later, the Christian Romans allowed the Jews to resettle the region & rebuild the Temple. But God kept preventing its construction, with Jewish sources saying God sent fireballs from the Earth to run off the workers and then an earthquake to flatten the grounds. So they gave up on it. The next 200 years saw them warring with the Christian Romans, sometimes teaming up with their hated Israelite rivals, the Samaritans. The Samaritans failed in these revolts and were nearly wiped out.

Then in the early 600s AD, the Christian Romans (the Byzantines, who controlled Palestine) were at war with the Zoroastrian Persians of the Sassanid Empire. The Jewish people joined with the Zoroastrian Persians and they were able to temporarily reconquer Jerusalem. The Jewish people then forced out the Christians there, killed many of them, started destroying their structures like churches, started rebuilding the Temple, and declared they were recreating the Jewish State (look up the "Jewish-Sassanid State").

The Persians didn't want this, so they stopped supporting them, which allowed the Byzantines to rout the Jews and reclaim Jerusalem around 630AD. Within the next decade or so, the new Arab Muslim empire conquered Jerusalem from the Byzantines and their conflicts over the region began. "Palestinians" are the people who stayed in the region from this period onwards. The Jewish people were so completely defeated by the Byzantines that their leadership and nearly all of their people abandoned Palestine until modern Zionism in the early 1900s. And ironically, the descendants of the Jews who stayed in the region the whole time (called "Maghrebi Jews") are often discriminated against by the European Ashkenazi Jews who came back in the last 100 years.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
As for the Palestinian leadership's words: This is effectively the end of the "2 State Solution" unless the next US President reverses course. There have basically been 3 options for dealing with the Israeli-Palestinian issue:

1. The 2 State Option. This allows both a sovereign Israel and a sovereign Palestine. In exchange for Israel retreating to its previous borders (usually the 1967 borders) and staying out of Palestinian affairs, the Muslim countries will recognize Israel. This was seen as the most likely way to create peace in the region.

2. The 1 State Option. This is basically Israel claiming the entirety of modern Israel and Palestine and converting all Palestinians in the region into Israeli citizens. The catch with this option is that there are more Muslim & Christian Palestinians than there are Jewish Israelis (some estimates are as high as 12 million Palestinians). This means that it would cease to be a Jewish state. This is why so many Israelis are against Palestinians having the "right of return".

3. The Third Option, which has been the defacto policy the entire time: Israel will continue to take over Palestinian land while making the remaining territory in the Gaza Strip and West Bank so intolerable that the Palestinians there will permanently relocate to neighboring countries like Jordan (which already houses more than 2 million Palestinians). This option not only allows Israel to have all of the land from the "One State Option" but also keeps the Palestinian-Israeli population down to a minority. There are currently almost 2 million Palestinians who are Israeli citizens, and another 5 million or so still living in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.

The 2nd option has been completely rejected by the Israelis because it would be the end of the Jewish State, and Netanyahu's party is also completely against the 1st option. So that doesn't leave many choices left, now does it?

ETA: Before this announcement by Trump, the US was able to at least pretend to be an honest broker between the 2 groups. The constant 6 month delays for relocating our embassy to Jerusalem was basically a gesture of good will to show that we were still somewhat committed to the 2 State Solution. This is why so many Muslim countries had that emergency conference to declare their support for the Palestinians and to basically begin their search for a new broker between the Israelis and Palestinians.
edit on 3-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

If I were Israeli I would be forced to choose option three as they are pretty much backed into a corner. Thank you for the educational posts. I appreciate the history.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Yes people.

And Palestine raining down Iranian rockets on dem evil Jews is the path to peace.

By annihilation.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Thank you for putting this into a well written post. I'm pretty sure this should be copy/pasted into every thread about Palestine/Israel. Seems there's always a handful of people who just do not get the complexity and history of the region.

Count these as additional stars my friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

As for the Palestinian leadership's words: This is effectively the end of the "2 State Solution" unless the next US President reverses course.

How moving a building from one location to another ends the 2 state solution?
First option is the only possible option. You are correct that the current right wing government rejects it. But it is also rejected by the Palestinian government.
The good thing is, governments change. What's important is, that the people believe in this solution.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Glad someone actually read them lol. Every other time I've pointed out this part of history, people ignore it like their lives depend on it. It's like people think the history of the region stopped with the crucifixion or the destruction of the 2nd Temple.

As for Israel, they're only "backed into a corner" because they won't stop putting up more and more illegal settlements in Palestinian territory. There are already more than half a million Israelis living in those settlements on Palestinian land (out of a population of 8.5 million), with the most radical settlers launching "price tag" attacks against Palestinian churches, homes, and other buildings. And the Gaza Strip is commonly referred to as "the world's largest open air prison" because of the crippling sanctions and blockade that's being imposed there. Also, the 3rd option is literally a slow form of ethnic cleansing.

The majority of citizens in East Jerusalem are "Palestinian" Christians and Muslims, both of which want East Jerusalem as the capital of an independent Palestine. Palestinian Christians have been calling for international help for years, including through the "Kairos Document and through the "Kairos Palestine group's website, which states the following:

We are a Christian Palestinian movement, born out of the Kairos Document, which advocates for ending the Israeli occupation and achieving a just solution to the conflict. The Kairos Document is the word of Christian Palestinians to the world about what is happening in Palestine.

“Our word is a cry of hope, with love, prayer and faith in God. We address it first of all to ourselves and then to all the churches and Christians in the world, asking them to stand against injustice and apartheid, urging them to work for a just peace.”

We proclaim our word based on our Christian faith and our sense of Palestinian belonging – a word of faith, hope and love. We declare that the military occupation of Palestinian land constitutes a sin against God and humanity. Any theology that legitimizes the occupation and justifies crimes perpetrated against the Palestinian people lies far from Christian teachings.

We urge the international community to stand with the Palestinian people in their struggle against oppression, displacement, and apartheid.

But of course no one wants to talk about that, either. They just keep repeating the same talking points without doing any research on the actual situation or the people being affected there. Meh.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxMech

East Jerusalem is the city that the Palestinians want as their capital. Declaring that a united Jerusalem is Israeli territory ends that plan. Don't forget, all of Jerusalem was originally Palestinian territory under the UN's partition plan. And the majority of East Jerusalem's citizens are still Palestinians to this day.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Eshel

Thanks. It's even more complex than that but I'm not really in the mood to write a mini novel on the topic lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

So the only roadblock to peace in the Middle East is money?

Then why wasn't there peace when Obama was president and sending them money?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Even if there were to be "peace" there would always be war.

Religion = war

Some to a much higher degree than others.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

You think the recent find inside the great pyramid and the digging of a train tunnel near the wall and the nearby city of David is just a coincidence

The 30 foot alter pieces have been ready for a while , time for the brown stuff to get real
edit on 3/1/2018 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Win for Trump, time to shred the old and in with the new.

There is an easy solution. Use Saudi money to make huge tent villages in the Sanai, move all the people there. Then bulldoze every last stone into the ocean and core blast every square foot of the land to collapse every last terror tunnel. Then build condos, town centers, shopping malls and give everyone out in the Sanai a free apartment and job in their new homeland.

Go to Vegas and place bets on how quick it turns into a hellhole.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join