It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Min Min Lights - An Outback Paranormal Mystery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Min Min is an mysterious light phenomenon that has often been reported in outback Australia. The lights are said to be watermelon sized balls of light that dart around on the horizon. There have been reports of the lights being attracted to torches and headlights and following people and cars around, sometimes at the same pace as the speeding vehicle.

The name "Min Min" derives from the small settlement of Min Min, located between the outback towns of Boulia and Winton, where the light was observed by a stockman in 1918. Stories about the lights can be found in Aboriginal myths pre-dating European settlement and have since become part of wider Australian folklore.

Indigenous Australians hold that the number of sightings has increased alongside the increasing ingression of Europeans into the outback. According to folklore, the lights sometimes follow or approach people and disappear, sometimes very rapidly, when fired upon, only to reappear later on. It is said that the first recorded sighting dates to 1838, in the book Six Months in South Australia...

Min Min Lights footage

Here is some old footage of the lights caught by a family driving their 4WD and speaking via two-way radio to another car in the convoy or possibly a truck. (sorry can't embed) The voices of the witnesses sound genuinely scared. For people who can't view: The light is filmed out the car in pitch dark. The family; a mother, father and daughter are talking. It disappears and a few secs later reappears but up in the sky. The light changes and it appears to have structures coming off it - like the shape of the old Space Invaders. It's unclear whether this is caused by the oldschool camera or whether it is a light and outline of another vehicle.

I spoke with an Aboriginal man who has seen the Min Min lights a few times in his life. From an early age he was told to behave because the Min Min lights were spirits that would come after bad people. The last time he saw them he was camping with a few mates, the light danced around in the distance. His friend, a whitefella, got out a torch and shone it at the ball of light to see what it was. The light started to come towards them. Freaked out they jumped in their cars and drove back to town.

Some people believe the Nim Nim lights are a case of fata morgana or a rare optical illusion where light waves lengths are distorted in the distance causing a mirage. But personally I don't know how that would explain seeing balls of light in the pitch black dessert that dance, disappear/reappear and react to and follow people...

The Aboriginals have lived in Australia for 65 million years and have many rock paintings of strange "Spirit People" and a Dreamtime story of an egg that fell from the sky that hatched and strange Spirits came out of it. They took the elder of the tribe and took something out of his body and placed something from themselves in and told him that he'd was now a medicine man.

It's a very interesting phenomon that I hope to view towards the end of the year when I travel through the area.

Have you ever seen the Nim Nim Lights? What are your thoughts?

Link
edit on 2-1-2018 by Kalixi because: Added last sentence

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Is it the Min Min lights or the Nim Nim lights?

Cant' watch video atm, but perhaps its just one of the planets low on the horizon and with the vast distances might be tricking their eyes a bit?

But, yeah, inversion layers can create weird reflections, especially out in hot conditions. Sort of when a road in the heat looks like its a wobbly mirror or sorts. So that theory does suit reasonably well.

Perhaps ball lighting could be a candidate too? Not much is known about it other than it happens from time to time.

edit on 2-1-2018 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Living in the outback, have heard heaps of stories concerning min min lights might have experienced one myself.

me and two friends were hooning around in an area known for min mins would have been about 10pm or so driving along we notice a light in the rearview speeding up to us, we thought it was the cops or some farmer angry that our car antics were keeping him up so we sped off, tearing through the backwoods this light kept pace about 10 metres behind just a very white bluish shine like an l.e.d torch but big say 2metre radius and a few metres off the ground.. i cant remember seeing it disappear but by the time we got back home all 3 of us each thought that was a very strange occurence...

This area has also had reporting of ABCs, lizardmen living in the mountains and a whole pllethora of other weird stuff.
But yes i do believe in this phenomenon after having my own experience and some of the most no nonsense people i know tell me they have witnessed them as well.

Defintely was not ball lightnig or swamp gas.
edit on 2-1-2018 by Jognir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Interesting topic. As an ozzie I have heard about the min min lights since i was very young..in t he 60's..have not been there or witnessed it though.
Just thought Id point out that the Indigenous Australians history at this point goes back some 50-60 thousand years..not 65 million...but otherwise..yes it can be tied to their dreamtime stories.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

In the late 1920's early 30's my grand parents travelled from NSW to WA as part of a convoy. It was a trip which ususally took about 6-8 weeks (as I recall my grand mother saying)

One night while camped out on the Nunnabour, just at dusk and the women were putting the kids to bed, a ball of white light suddendly appeared and went out and around the group, then went some distance and dissapeared.

This frightened some of the older kids and some of the women in the group to the extent they had to be calmed down.

Some of the blokes asked the aboriginal guides about what had just happened. This was difficult to discuss with them because their English was very poor at that time.

However, the gist of the conversation with the aboriginal guides was that they have seen these things for a long as they had lived on the Nunnabour and were nothing to be afraid of. One assumes this means they had seen these lights as far back as the dreamtime.

I know this because as a child I was in bed one night listening to my Mum and my grandmother talking and this is one of the things they discussed at that time as my grand mother was relating the story to my Mum. For some reason I have never forgotten this story in the 60+ years since then.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
Is it the Min Min lights or the Nim Nim lights?

Cant' watch video atm, but perhaps its just one of the planets low on the horizon and with the vast distances might be tricking their eyes a bit?

But, yeah, inversion layers can create weird reflections, especially out in hot conditions. Sort of when a road in the heat looks like its a wobbly mirror or sorts. So that theory does suit reasonably well.

Perhaps ball lighting could be a candidate too? Not much is known about it other than it happens from time to time.

THanks for your input - Possible but extremely unlikely. Those blokes driving along bush tracks would have likely travelled in all 4 directions in the process because rarely are roads out in the bush or in farming areas straight.

Moreover, while sightings and interactions with these lights, like these blokes expereinced, while not everyday occurances are not entirly rare. Many people choose to say nothing of such encounters.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

A? what are you doing with my girlfriends picture in your profile

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Jognir

what area you in mate ? sounds bloody interesting !

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Cool Thread
Here's a couple of older threads everyone might be interested in.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LindsayK

Thanks for clearing that up!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Yahaha

I can't even see my own profile pic

Nor anyone's for that matter. Damn add blockers!!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: babalon1971

Up in Far north queensland cape york area some strange going ons around here... Some stories that come off the goldfields are downright eerie, for instance have a friend on a plot of land in the mountains mining gold tells of a deep hoarse screaming that runs through the valley swears its a quinkan, he said the sound will make you #@#% your pants wont sleep without his rifle.

My brothers experience with the min mins, after a pig hunting trip with a mate way out in the bush both of them came back talking about seeing a strange bright blue orb wandering above the tree lines then shoot off into the sky.. pretty solid fellas too wouldnt expect them to talk #@#% both were a bit shook afterwards.

The mountain nearby where 6+ people have disappeared that place definitely gives me the jeebies when i have to drive past at night.. supposedly its hollow and either its an ancient tomb or an abode for an underground living race.
The guugu yalanji/yimidthirr people avoid it like its the devil.

Funny about the tomb theory, it also widely rumoured around here that a certain cave has ancient heiroglyphs carved next to aboriginal rock art and that a pyramid lies somewhere off one of the beaches near abouts.
So eqyptians possibly visited eh? Think i read on ATS about some eqyptian coins being found in Aus

aaand the strangeness that is a whole whale carcass being found 50km inland on a forest covered mountain a few years ago..

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Jognir

I never heard about the whale carcass before weird

Is the hollow tomb/mountain in Cape York or the Nullabor?

The Nullarbor is meant to be one of the to UFO/UAP hotspots in the world but no ones seems to be logging it on the MUFON UFO live tracker page

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Cool post sounds like the foo fighters of WW2, well that's what popped in my head.

www.airspacemag.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Yeah the mountain is in the cape york, kalkajaka is its name.

The whale was only know by a few residents that lived in a small community amongst the forest some environmental scientists or some such ended up taking it away for study.
edit on 3-1-2018 by Jognir because: Additional info

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Maybe I did...maybe I didn't...I was never in Australia when I did, then no...I never the min mins.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
What add blockers?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Jognir I don't know why you say ''back woods'' no one in Australia says ''backwoods'' ,its either ''out back'' or the ''bush '' ,more likely ''the bush'' as few people refer to the west as the ''outback'' any more, its the ''bush''
unless you are a foreigner ,there was a post on you tube of a ''incident'' that happened in the ''bush '' you could tell the person had never been to Australia ,the whole story was BS ,they evidently had no knowledge of Australia and were just fabricating a wild story ,like they lived in Phoenix .There is Black Mountain ,I have never heard of ''lizard men'' in Australian ,this is bs , I have lived in Australia all my life and have never heard of ''Lizard men''

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulysits Min Min lights NOT nim nim lights, I have been hearing about them since I was a kid, and a documentary on ABC TV 30 years ago ,I have seen them, my brother who worked as a stock inspector at Winton years ago, he was a skeptic about everything , until he saw them himself ,they are intelligent ,NOT just a swamp gas etc,they move with an intelligence, not just a random gaseous form ,that does what it likes , I have seen them myself ,a
New Zealander I worked with, said there was a place in New Zealand you could go at night and see them zooming towards the mainland each night.
from the ocean ,The weird thing I heard was at school where a very down to earth girl stated, it was a min min ''bird'' ,at a class where we were talking about it ,she said ,''my father and brother were mustering cattle late in the evening when they were approached by a light ,and could hear the beating of wings when it approached them'' ,which we thought was weird at the time ,she called it the ''min min bird'' which we found hard to believe at the time and strange

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

The Nullarbor is meant to be one of the to UFO/UAP hotspots in the world but no ones seems to be logging it on the MUFON UFO live tracker page

I've heard the stories ever since I was a kid growing up in South Australia. Once you start heading west from Ceduna and Penong, there really aren't that many people around up there until you get to Eucla and a bit further into WA.

Be interesting to hear some of the long-haul truckies stories of the strange s*!+ that goes on along the Eyre Highway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join