It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Those Countries That Use The English Language. A Question.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

That word describes the sound exactly LOL. I have some Welsh blood in my veins. I love Scottish and Irish accents.
I now have to grab some vids of Welsh folks.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The second one is a clip from a Welsh-accented sitcom. It also contains, quite by chance, a genuine example of "Woss the ma'er?" No, two of them. Irresistable.

edit on 6-1-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Some English speakers in the UK make me lol , if you were not from these shores you would never understand them in a telephone conversation , some parts of Jockland are the same , yet the best English speakers in the UK are from the north of Scotland [ always cracks me up that one ] that is why so many call centers are there .

What gets me is the Spelling -- does the world use English [us] or English [uk] it is about time we had a Esperanto english for computer world

chin chin old chap

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yeah, accents are really wonderful when you developed an ear for them. Some girl's voices I could fall in love with for that alone.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

My current theory is that this happens because "garage" was a loan-word, and the Americans primly kept the French pronunciation)

Yep, as mentioned with the Webster bit, it's all about which version Webster decided to standardize, for American English, vs. the two accepted versions of a word (Latin and French) used in England.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok
But that doesn't quite fit the case of "garage", which is a modern, purely French word, and where the divergence is in pronunciation rather than spelling.

edit on 8-1-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Gazrok
But that doesn't quite fit the case of "garage", which is a modern, purely French word, and where the divergence is in pronunciation rather than spelling.

Being English I prefer the term "car hole" myself instead of the French terminology

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join