It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump does not have the 'skill set' to help bring peace to Northern Ireland, Irish premier says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

There will be two basic reactions to this news

First it isn’t news...it is some asshat’s opinion. Second, I don’t care one bit if Trump can solve some problem in Ireland. His job is to be President of The United States and to concentrate on fixing the problems here.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
hmmmm

I think the first thing is why is the Irish Taoiseach even commenting on this, seems to have been comments in response to questions being asked by the press.

Also reading through the a couple of the posts let me just clarify that Leo Varadkar is the PM of the Republic of Ireland not Northern Ireland. Its quite funny that some of the comments made on the first page of this thread obviously have no idea who Leo is but are commenting anyway almost as if they actually know what they're talking about.

I do agree with him however, the last thing Ireland needs right now is for Trump to interfere, I just don't think he has the diplomatic skills required to deal with what is now a extremely complex issue. Brexit effectively ends the good Friday agreement, there is no government at Stormont and we are seeing a rise in republicanism then to make matters worse, the DUP have been made kingmaker. The last thing you want to mix into that volatile mix is Trumps bull in a china shop brand of diplomacy.

edit on 2-1-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Reading it its almost like he's issuing a challenge hoping the US would get involved. Don't know why he would welcome US help if he just finished saying they couldn't help?????

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

We actually agree on something.

Trump needs to concentrate on the United States. I would assume the Irish people put someone in charge that can deal with Irish problems.

edit on 2018/1/2 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

He said: "I have read The Art of the Deal and the basic concept behind that is 'a good deal is when I win and you lose'. That's not the kind of deal that is going to work in Northern Ireland."

"So while President Trump has many enormous talents and abilities, I don't think bringing about peace in Northern Ireland would be his skill set.

"But certainly we are always open to assistance from the US."

Link

There will be two basic reactions to this news:

The cult of Trump will be outraged at the blasphemy.

The rest of the world will say, "Tell us something we don't know."

As a non-Trumper, I hope I'm wrong. No matter who you are, I think you have to agree that this is bad news.

The world needs confidence in the POTUS. This is a terrible sign.

How will Trump respond? I see a tweet on the way...

"The Irish premier needs to read my masterpiece again. I'll send Dennis Rodman over to deliver a copy. #MAGA"

www.youtube.com...

What does it matter what anyone else says. It's Ireland and apparently they can't do anything themselves about their own mess....why would anyone care what they think about what another country's President can do for them or now.

Let em burn their own government to the ground if they're too proud to ask for help.....

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: antiantonym

He said: "I have read The Art of the Deal and the basic concept behind that is 'a good deal is when I win and you lose'. That's not the kind of deal that is going to work in Northern Ireland."

"So while President Trump has many enormous talents and abilities, I don't think bringing about peace in Northern Ireland would be his skill set.

"But certainly we are always open to assistance from the US."

Link

There will be two basic reactions to this news:

The cult of Trump will be outraged at the blasphemy.

The rest of the world will say, "Tell us something we don't know."

As a non-Trumper, I hope I'm wrong. No matter who you are, I think you have to agree that this is bad news.

The world needs confidence in the POTUS. This is a terrible sign.

How will Trump respond? I see a tweet on the way...

"The Irish premier needs to read my masterpiece again. I'll send Dennis Rodman over to deliver a copy. #MAGA"

www.youtube.com...

What does it matter what anyone else says. It's Ireland and apparently they can't do anything themselves about their own mess....why would anyone care what they think about what another country's President can do for them or now.

Let em burn their own government to the ground if they're too proud to ask for help.....

Again someone else talking about something as if they know what they are talking about but at the same time demonstrating that they know nothing about the topic at hand.

Leo Varadkar is the Taoiseach of the Republic of Ireland, a sovereign independent state that is actually doing rather well just now. He was commenting on the problems in Northern Ireland, a province of the island of Ireland that is governed by the UK government and by a devolved government (that is currently in a political deadlock).

He is commenting on the problems in Northern Ireland not on anything regarding the Republic of Ireland. Their are obvious historical reasons why the Republic of Ireland has such a vested interest in ensuring that peace in Northern Ireland remains stable. Leo is just pointing out that he does not believe that Trump has the diplomatic skills to play a role in mediating what is becoming a very precarious political situation in Northern Ireland.

Its not just you as I said above the first page is also littered with comments like this, the problem is that when you obviously have such a poor understanding of Irish politics it undermines your position on this.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I don't see why this would even be Trump's responsibility in the first place...

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

I actually know all about it. What has happened is someone with no business saying anything has publicly stated for apparently no reason that the president of a country that is not their own, can't help them.

I'd tend more to question why the statement was made at all, other than to get Trump to help.

And apparently Leo has a pretty poor understanding of the politics of that which he speaks of....
edit on 1/2/18 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I actually know all about it.

Really because based on your last post it kind of seems like you think Leo Varadkar is also the PM of Northern Ireland....

Also this line really reminds me of another hilarious line.

What has happened is someone with no business saying anything has publicly stated for apparently no reason that the president of a country that is not their own, can't help them.

So am guessing that you feel the same way about Trump and his tweets regarding Pakistan or any other of the numerous foreign states that he has made comments on?

I'd tend more to question why the statement was made at all, other than to get Trump to help.

He was responding to a question by a reporter, asking about Trumps book the art of the deal and if he felt Trump could help broker a deal in Northern Ireland. Its a pretty valid question given that previous US Presidents have played a role in mediating peace in Northern Ireland, for instance, Clinton (love him or hate him) played a role in the good Friday agreement. So its a fair question and its also only right that the PM of The Republic of Ireland should have a view on it.

And apparently Leo has a pretty poor understanding of the politics of that which he speaks of....

Well that is your opinion, just like it is his opinion and the opinion of others that Trump should not be involved in Irish politics. Agree, Disagree or do a funny dance, its just a opinion although I don't know what you are basing yours off because it seems like you have just learned that Northern Ireland is not part of The Republic of Ireland.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Ireland wants that territory unfortunately for them the majority of the the people living their identify as British and not Irish. Northern Ireland doesn't want to become part of Ireland and no amount of peace talks will change that.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Ireland wants that territory unfortunately for them the majority of the the people living their identify as British and not Irish. Northern Ireland doesn't want to become part of Ireland and no amount of peace talks will change that.

They don't actually. The Republic has dropped any claim to it and the average Irish person wants nothing to do with Northern Ireland. The DUP claims otherwise, but then they would - they were founded by the shouter-in-chief Ian Paisley and they retain his trademark right-wing insanity.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

So this is the problem.

Brexit.

Under the Good Friday agreement people in Northern Ireland can have both a Irish and British passport. Now that obviously requires a open boarder between the two states. This has been working out pretty well for both sides for about two decades now. It comes down to individual politics, not everyone in the Republic wants unification just like not everyone in the north wants unification. RoI had dropped their claims to it and if you spend any time in RoI they actually don't really want Irish unification, in fact in my experience most of them don't like Northern Ireland.

The sticking point is that the big reason behind Brexit was to have hard boarders between the UK and EU, but obviously you cannot have that with Ireland, the boarder needs to be kept open and therefore you effectively lose your hard boarder with the EU. Anyone can come into the UK via Ireland for the EU it would just make immigration in the UK illegal and that presents a whole other set of problems.

Realistically the only solution seems to be Irish unification, which lets face it isn't going to be happening any time soon.

Now when you add into this that tensions between republican groups are rising, there is no government in Stormont and the DUP are now kingmakers in Westminster you get one nice big mess....Northern Ireland.

Add Trump into that mix and it only makes it even worse.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I actually know all about it.

Really because based on your last post it kind of seems like you think Leo Varadkar is also the PM of Northern Ireland....

Also this line really reminds me of another hilarious line.

What has happened is someone with no business saying anything has publicly stated for apparently no reason that the president of a country that is not their own, can't help them.

So am guessing that you feel the same way about Trump and his tweets regarding Pakistan or any other of the numerous foreign states that he has made comments on?

He was responding to a question by a reporter, asking about Trumps book the art of the deal and if he felt Trump could help broker a deal in Northern Ireland. Its a pretty valid question given that previous US Presidents have played a role in mediating peace in Northern Ireland, for instance, Clinton (love him or hate him) played a role in the good Friday agreement. So its a fair question and its also only right that the PM of The Republic of Ireland should have a view on it.

Well that is your opinion, just like it is his opinion and the opinion of others that Trump should not be involved in Irish politics. Agree, Disagree or do a funny dance, its just a opinion although I don't know what you are basing yours off because it seems like you have just learned that Northern Ireland is not part of The Republic of Ireland.

Did I say anywhere that I thought he was the PM?

Maybe, just maybe, Leo could step up to the role of helping out a bit more, but then again, my view is still that this was said in an effort to actually get Trump to help. And by help, I mean step in and back him for the United Ireland call he made....wonder who he wants it to unite under?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Did I say anywhere that I thought he was the PM?

You said that....

What does it matter what anyone else says. It's Ireland and apparently they can't do anything themselves about their own mess....

To me that heavily implies that you are insinuating that it was the PM of Northern Ireland making the comments regarding Trump. Now if you say you were not then I can only take you at your word for it but so far you have not exactly demonstrated any kind of in-depth understanding of Irish politics other than saying you "know all about it". Personally when I read it back I believe you mistook him for the PM of Northern Ireland, but lets not argue of that.

And by help, I mean step in and back him for the United Ireland call he made....wonder who he wants it to unite under?

The only people who want Irish unification are the DUP and Irish republicans, nobody else, RoI do not want to takeover the mess that is Northern Ireland and most people in RoI don't want to take it over. Not only that but it causes massive problems with Brexit talks and Scottish independence.

Again its a mess.

A mess I feel you do not fully understand.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

So why are we still arguing about this?

You don’t want Trump involved we don’t Trump involved and Ireland doesn’t want Trump involved. There is no issue here except the OP trying to troll Americans and we literally don’t care.

It’s settled and in fact may be the first time in ATS history that everyone agrees. No one wants Trump involved.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Being pompous because of the convenience of you geography to understanding this story isnt really going to add any clarity.

The article is a political troll.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You don’t want Trump involved we don’t Trump involved and Ireland doesn’t want Trump involved. There is no issue here except the OP trying to troll Americans

I am only responding to posts and I do not think that is trolling.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The article is a political troll.

No its factual account of what the RoI PM said when asked about Trumps role in possibly being involved in a deal with Northern Ireland.

I feel like sometimes you guys just like to use the word "troll" anytime you see a post you don't like.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Metallicus

You don’t want Trump involved we don’t Trump involved and Ireland doesn’t want Trump involved. There is no issue here except the OP trying to troll Americans

I am only responding to posts and I do not think that is trolling.

I didn’t say you were trolling. I said the OP was trolling.

I have tried twice to agree with you and you just keep trying to argue.

Relax and have a brew on me, lol.

edit on 2018/1/2 by Metallicus because: Can’t spell

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Its a troll because Trump had no role in any of this. His name was shoe horned into the conversation so it could have a catchy headline.

In 2017 and 2018 the Trump name sells papers.

Eta: i should add i dont dislike the article. That is just you trying to discredit my prior point by second guessing my motives. I think Trump was an off topic question, and agree with the premiere.
edit on 1/2/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join