It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Things That Will Probably Be Extinct By 2025

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
So, here's ten things that could go 'poof' by the year 2025 according this website. I say could loosely.

list! May 22, 2017 by Lisa M. Douglas Tweet Culture iStock Life’s pretty darn good right now with our handy cell phones, our easy-to-use remotes, and our ability to send someone a document with the push of a button. But the things that make our lives so convenient today are about to get an overhaul.

Ok so, there's like 14 not ten no biggie. I'll write my own brief comments next to each one and what I think will happen.

1.Fax Machines - Yes

2.Delivery jobs - No

3.Cords and Chargers - No

4.Credit Cards - No

5.Checks - Yes

6.Having a different remote for every device - Maybe

7.Landline phones - Maybe

8.DVD Players - Maybe

9.Movie Theaters - No

10.Analog TV's - Yes

11.Digital Cameras - No

12.Supermarket Cashiers - Maybe

13.Print Newspapers - No

14.The Yellow Pages - Yes

Now you have a go, what do you think?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The wife and I may both possibly be extinct in 2025. If I didn't have kidney problems because of problematic medicines a while back, I would probably go to 2035

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

oh geez, i'm sorry man.
There's always hope, hope can be a powerful thing. I wish you well in all that you do.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

The NFL. Extinct or much reduced. They are losing their audience. Parents don't want their kids playing because of the injuries. etc. Possibly a competing League takes a bite out of them.

ESPN. Losing their customer base.

Just off the top of my head.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blender5L

oh geez, i'm sorry man.
There's always hope, hope can be a powerful thing. I wish you well in all that you do.

Just another inconvenience. I'm not going to let it get me down. We all have to go someday, in 2025 I will be seventy, that is old enough if I last that long.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Blender5L

oh geez, i'm sorry man.

Just another inconvenience. I'm not going to let it get me down. We all have to go someday, in 2025 I will be seventy, that is old enough if I last that long.

Please merge your conscious with technology, I always enjoy your commentary and thoughtful postings. Would be odd not having you around.

--on topic--

Fast food workers (Machine made, to order exactly as ordered)
taxi drivers (Self driving cars)
delivery driver (delivery by drones)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Trumps toupee and nth Korea.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Some of these are kind of strange to me... the idea of them going away I mean.

Delivery jobs? 2025 isn't even ten years away... are robots going to carry stuff up to the door when you order a pizza or something?

Movie theaters... nobody wants to see a movie on the big screen? That seems hard to believe unless everybody is supposed to have a huge movie theater sized screen by 2025.

Even a lot of the other things probably won't be totally gone even if they're much less common. I feel like a lot of people are still going to want to be able to read the newspaper... even if there are a lot fewer of them. People will still want to watch their dvds, no? Credit cards? Don't exist? Sounds odd unless we have chips in our arms or something to replace them.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Some brief commentary on your list....

1.Fax Machines - Who cares really? The legal reasoning for the very existence of fax machines was eclipsed more than a decade ago already. The bigger question is, why they even exist at all today(?) Rarely used anymore.

2.Delivery jobs - Doubtful. However, in order to fully answer this we'd have to break down the words "delivery job" much more carefully. For example, is a remote drone operator a 'delivery job'?

3.Cords and Chargers - I would agree, No. Also, depends on what kind of "cord" you're talking about. If you mean only 'cords' which connect chargers to battery operated devices such as a cell phone, I'd say they're already obsolete what with induction charging and all. However, your stove or refrigerator for example will always be connected to a 'cord'. Wireless power only exists in the form of...lightning.

4.Credit Cards - The physical card maybe, but not the banking concept. In fact, I'd argue there is going to be a full-court press for the elimination of cash itself in the next 10 years.

5.Checks - I agree, likely yes. However, this is actually pretty disturbing too on a legal level. If one understands how a check actually works, then the notion of eliminating it creates some serious legal entanglements going forward.

6.Having a different remote for every device - Yes. There is no need for multiple remote devices right now with universal remote and smart phone technology.

7.Landline phones - Probably not by 2025, but certainly within the next 20-25 years. This subject is one of those "what out what you wish for" topics. Cellular phone technologies have numerous vulnerabilities in a world where "Communications is King"

8.DVD Players - No. The physical form of the DVD may change, but the notion everything will be streamed in the future won't happen, not in that time frame anyway. The media empires would LOVE this to be true, and for that reason alone it won't happen. (Note: research the history of the cassette tape to understand why).

9.Movie Theaters - Maybe, and this is kind of a sad social statement too. When the 'golden' age of the big silver screen dies, so does a rich part of our history.

10.Analog TV's - Yes, absolutely. They're already dead right now.

11.Digital Cameras - This is an interesting subject, one which could go either way. "Photography" is in a paradoxical stage right now (I am a photographer). The digital photography world has already largely replaced the 'analog' film world, but with so many digital manipulation tools available out there it's nearly impossible to tell if a 'photo' is real anymore. This subject, more so than any other item in this list, is one I, and many others, could write books and books on. There are countless social, philosophical and legal implications. One where both ends of the discussion push towards the middle so hard the whole discussion wants to go super-nova. One is left to ask..."Is it real...or is it MEMOREX ??

12.Supermarket Cashiers - Could go either way on this one. I would say likely, but not by 2025. Maybe shortly thereafter though.

13.Print Newspapers - Absolutely. Right now print newspapers are fighting for their last breath across the globe. I'm surprised they exist right now. By 2025...absolutely, dead as a door nail. Sad, but likely true.

14.The Yellow Pages - Yep, I'm surprised they still exist now. White pages is a different story, but yellow pages are pretty much dead now.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

sorry to hear your troubles mate! it could be fixed by 2025 as hopefully medicine will evolve in the next 7 years!

On topic about extinction by 2025:

the way it goes in the world, white heterosexual law abiding adult male...

tobacco.. either way by law or some 'mysterious' bacteria/fungus, whatever will kill the tobacco plants

crypto currency... I personally think it might change into a universal credit of some sort or actual money will stay
edit on 2-1-2018 by szino9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
1. They still use FAX machines?

2. Good cartoons.

3. "Deliveries" are not going away. Some of them may be of the "shady" type.

4. Samsquantch.

5. CNN.

6. Global Warming freak outs.

7. Hollywood propaganda films.

8. Crappy music that says "Nigga" and "Muh Dick" more times than is necessary.

9. Unfounded hysteria over people enjoying a puff of the ganja.

10. The public school system cranking out legions of pretards.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
almost all Insects

gen-free food

freedom

peace

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   

one : i wish people would learn what " extinct " actually means - and use the word correctly

2 : may i initiate a genocide program - to make all authors of clickbait " lists " extinct ?

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I only counted 4 on your list.. unless you include maybe's

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Some brief commentary on your list....

1.Fax Machines - Who cares really? The legal reasoning for the very existence of fax machines was eclipsed more than a decade ago already. The bigger question is, why they even exist at all today(?) Rarely used anymore.

Some companies switch off their Email systems for the holidays such law firms. Sending a FAX is one way of getting a message through and getting confirmation that it was received.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

As long as there are old folks those things will still be around. My guess is many of these will change in 15-20 years. 2025 is just around the corner!

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The wife and I may both possibly be extinct in 2025. If I didn't have kidney problems because of problematic medicines a while back, I would probably go to 2035

Yeah, I'd have to say the same.

Not making any real long term plans but at this point I'm still buying ripe bananas.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
1. Cash. Maybe not 100% extinct, but increasingly hard to use. A lot of businesses here in Chicago don't even accept cash anymore.

2. DVD players. Everything will be streamed from the cloud. Your DVD collection will basically be on line.

3. Manual transmissions in cars. Already practically extinct in newer cars.

4. Landlines.

5. Fax machines. Heck, I get all my faxes in email as it is.

6. Checks. I get really annoyed at companies where I have to write a check to pay a bill.

7. Coupons. Will be on your smart phone.

8. Cashiers. Not extinct, but numbers considerably lower.

9. Analog TV. Gone.

10. Yellow Pages / White Pages. Gone.

11. Print newspapers. Gone except in waiting rooms.

12. Movie theaters will still be going strong.

13. Radio stations. Who listens to radio anymore?

14. Record labels. Maybe not completely gone, but their value proposition is really suspect these days.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

1. Cash. Maybe not 100% extinct, but increasingly hard to use. A lot of businesses here in Chicago don't even accept cash anymore.

That one is the scariest, no cash = full on control by the controllers.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

As long as there are old folks those things will still be around. My guess is many of these will change in 15-20 years. 2025 is just around the corner!

I'd say for over half of us on this forum, won't see that happen. People under 35 or so will.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join