It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanctuary State Signs Pop Up on California Highways for the New Year

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: neo96

That's fine.

Just better not hear any crap if a state wants to be a "Sanctuary" from the IRS instead of the INS.

Wow, DC. That kind of blew my mind. I think you might be on to something there.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Thejaybird
wow a article on artichokes and some other random vegetables. cause you know artichokes are such a staple of civilization.

btw i was born n raised in los angeles. my pediatrician as a kid was at white memorial hospital. you know in East LA...on East Cesar Chavez Avenue.

for Hollywood entertainment business. its still alive in los angeles just nothing compared to what it used to be. my family has worked as everything from leading actors in major films, 1st ADs in the commercial side of things, makeup artists, bookkeepers to celebrities, current Top 40 record producers and songwriters, production managers/coordinators and executive film producers. Hollywood (in southern california) aint what it used to be. its moved to other places now like new mexico, atlanta, even chicago. anyplace can pretty much make a movie now with the advent of digital.

2017 box office sales were down 15 percent over the prior year which was on a progressive down slope. most of hollywoods revenue is reliant on over seas sales. hollywood as far as revenue generation is behind bollywood and hong kong.

get real
edit on 3-1-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
wow a article on artichokes and some other random vegetables. cause you know artichokes are such a staple of civilization.

btw i was born n raised in los angeles. my pediatrician as a kid was at white memorial hospital. you know in East LA...on East Cesar Chavez Avenue.

for Hollywood entertainment business. its still alive in los angeles just nothing compared to what it used to be. my family has worked as everything from leading actors in major films, 1st ADs in the commercial side of things, makeup artists, bookkeepers to celebrities, current Top 40 record producers and songwriters, production managers/coordinators and executive film producers. Hollywood (in southern california) aint what it used to be. its moved to other places now like new mexico, atlanta, even chicago. anyplace can pretty much make a movie now with the advent of digital.

2017 box office sales were down 15 percent over the prior year which was on a progressive down slope. most of hollywoods revenue is reliant on over seas sales. hollywood as far as revenue generation is behind bollywood and hong kong.

get real

Not just artichokes:

Significantly, California is the only state in the nation to export the following commodities: 100 percent of the almonds, artichokes, dates, dried plums, figs, garlic, kiwifruit, olives, pistachios, raisins and walnuts. A few of California's agricultural exports experienced dramatic growth in 2009--exports of rice jumped by 59 percent to $877 million, making that commodity second to almonds as a top export crop. Walnuts, pistachios, fresh tomatoes and spinach also enjoyed export gains over the prior year. The top three export destinations for California's agricultural bounty are Canada, the European Union and Japan. These destinations are major agricultural trading partners, representing 46 percent of total value at $5.7 billion in 2009. Over the past seven years, California's agricultural exports have realized tremendous growth. Using 2003 as the base year, the state's exports have increased by 66 percent. Clearly, it is the taste and unparalleled quality of California's food and agricultural products that drive this demand worldwide.

Crop and Livestock Commodities in which California Leads the Nation
Almonds
Escarole/Endive
Limes
Plums
Apricots
Figs
Melons, Cantaloupe
Plums, Dried
Artichokes
Flowers, Bulbs
Melons, Honeydew
Pluots
Asparagus
Flowers, Cut
Milk
Pomegranates
Avocados
Flowers, Potted Plants
Milk Goats
Raspberries
Beans, Dry Lima
Garlic
Nectarines
Rice, Sweet
Bedding/Garden Plants
Grapes, Raisins
Nursery, Bedding Plants
Safflower
Broccoli
Grapes, Table
Nursery Crops
Seed, Alfalfa
Brussels Sprouts
Grapes, Wine
Olives
Seed, Bermuda Grass
Cabbage, Chinese
Greens, Mustard
Onions, Dry
Seed, Ladino Clover
Cabbage, F.M.
Hay, Alfalfa
Onions, Green
Seed, Vegetable and Flower
Carrots
Herbs
Parsley
Spinach
Cauliflower
Kale
Peaches, Clingstone
Strawberries
Celery
Kiwifruit
Peaches, Freestone
Tangelos
Chicory
Kumquats
Pears, Bartlett
Tangerines
Cotton, American Pima
Lemons
Peppers, Bell
Tomatoes, Processing
Daikon
Lettuce, Head
Persimmons
Vegetables, Greenhouse
Dates
Lettuce, Leaf
Pigeons and Squabs
Vegetables, Oriental
Eggplant
Lettuce, Romaine
Pistachios
Walnuts
Wild Rice

www.seecalifornia.com...

In addition, while much of what we consider to be "Hollywood" can be replicated in other places, it does not change the fact that it is alive and well and still making money (and, yes...overseas sales and box offices count towards that).

The point you seemed to miss is that if you have a problem with California being a sanctuary state, then you are a bigot. That is not an ad hominem attack; it is simply factually true.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Nevada and Oregon also produce almonds so you're wrong there. arizona, Nevada. utah, Texas, and Florida produce dates too, so wrong again. most of our kiwi is imported from italy, new Zealand and Chile so, no, east coasters aren't dependent on California for those either. arizona, texas, hawaii, georgia and Florida also produce olives for our country looks like you're wrong again. I could go on but the point is you are posting Infactual stuff. yes California produces a ton of produce for our nation. no the whole country is not dependant solely on california. would the usa struggle to immediatly fill the void of a suddenly gone California produce wise? sure but they're by no means ultimately dependent on the state for agriculture. other states can grow what California chooses to and if they chose to they could too. there's just no immediate need. make one and the nation would adapt and meet their needs without california.

Hollywood is alive it's seen better days and in decline. it is what it is. not sure why you're so emotionally involved in that line of the debate.

the point you miss is that it's a fallacy to make assumptions about bigotry and then go into invalid and severely illogical straw man argument. you sound like the person whos ignorant if you really believe most Californians want ms13 and felons making their state a cesspit on a one way trip towards destruction. being inclusive is noble but use some common sense. to simply jump to bigotry as the must be culprit in lew of the obvious which is logic and then striving against all odds to create some flimsly thrown together false dichotomy is really poor form. you cant just arbitrarily propound the cause must be bigotry and go straight into name calling just because someone disagrees with you or points out holes in the logic of your argument.

also if you're nut riding California as the holiest of holys I suggest you get out more and see how the rest of the world works. California's not the worst place on earth but its not the end all be all. plenty of places on earth that do lots of things better than the way California does. you sound really young and if you're not you sound like you haven't absorbed nor digested half of the lessons you should have learned with your life experiences to come off so emotional and juvenile in your approach on this topic.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Nevada and Oregon also produce almonds so you're wrong there. arizona, Nevada. utah, Texas, and Florida produce dates too, so wrong again. most of our kiwi is imported from italy, new Zealand and Chile so, no, east coasters aren't dependent on California for those either. arizona, texas, hawaii, georgia and Florida also produce olives for our country looks like you're wrong again. I could go on but the point is you are posting Infactual stuff. yes California produces a ton of produce for our nation. no the whole country is not dependant solely on california. would the usa struggle to immediatly fill the void of a suddenly gone California produce wise? sure but they're by no means ultimately dependent on the state for agriculture. other states can grow what California chooses to and if they chose to they could too. there's just no immediate need. make one and the nation would adapt and meet their needs without california.

Hollywood is alive it's seen better days and in decline. it is what it is. not sure why you're so emotionally involved in that line of the debate.

the point you miss is that it's a fallacy to make assumptions about bigotry and then go into invalid and severely illogical straw man argument. you sound like the person whos ignorant if you really believe most Californians want ms13 and felons making their state a cesspit on a one way trip towards destruction. being inclusive is noble but use some common sense. to simply jump to bigotry as the must be culprit in lew of the obvious which is logic and then striving against all odds to create some flimsly thrown together false dichotomy is really poor form. you cant just arbitrarily propound the cause must be bigotry and go straight into name calling just because someone disagrees with you or points out holes in the logic of your argument.

also if you're nut riding California as the holiest of holys I suggest you get out more and see how the rest of the world works. California's not the worst place on earth but its not the end all be all. plenty of places on earth that do lots of things better than the way California does. you sound really young and if you're not you sound like you haven't absorbed nor digested half of the lessons you should have learned with your life experiences to come off so emotional and juvenile in your approach on this topic.

First, talk to my Midwestern wife about the difference in produce in her original home and California. Canned foods and the real deal are not the same thing.

Second, Hollywood is posting record numbers (even in the light of the #metoo reality). To say otherwise is to miss the numbers.

Third, you attempt to color my response as a "straw man" (as you obviously do not understand what that is) is, at best, a reach, and at worst, completely and totally ingenuous. Never once did I represent you argument as something than other what it is. To support your position is bigoted. Period.

Fourth: "In lieu". Just sayin'.

Fifth, I am not "young" by by any stretch of the imagination. I am forty five years old, close to forty six, and have toured the country with multiple perfoming groups. Nothing I have posted is "emotional" or "juvenile". Calling you a bigot for having bigoted viewpoints is stating reality. Don't like it? Cool. Don't be a bigot.

In the future, please refrain from stooping down to low level, argumentative responses.

Sixth, I am a fifth generation Californian. It is part of who I am. As such, I feel completely comfortable representing my state against naysayers such as yourself. If you don't like the state, then by all means, stay away. We have enough people here as it is, anyway. If you don't like our politics, don't move here. If you don't like our inclusiveness, don't pay attention to what we do. If you don't like the fact that everyone is welcome here, stay out of our state. Pretty simple.

edit on 11-1-2018 by Thejaybird because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2018 by Thejaybird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   

i do live in your state. it's called los Angeles where I live. ever heard of it? lived there 95 percent of my entire life. born and raised there. have many generations of family who live there too.

now please stop derailing this thread. nobody here wants to listen to us bicker back and forth. the topic isn't about either of us or your undue vitriol towards me or anybody who disagrees with your personal zeitgeist.

btw you don't just get to go around making up facts about who's a bigot just cause they disagree with your severe stance of including violent gang members and felons.

seriously give it a rest. nobodies interested in hearing you throw a tantrum over and over again in this thread because people disagree with your personal subjective estimate of the states feelings regarding this subject.

regarding my prior posts final paragraph. i put forward that your most recent rebuttal makes my point for me.

<< 1  2   >>

join