It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump slams Pakistan for 'lies & deceit' in New Year's tweet

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

So you would support dictatorships and authoritarian governments with notorious human rights violations? Many of those countries in the north are known for such, and thus paying them would be endorsing their form of government and the abuse of their people.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

So you would support dictatorships and authoritarian governments with notorious human rights violations? Many of those countries in the north are known for such, and thus paying them would be endorsing their form of government and the abuse of their people.

Sometimes you have to do some distasteful things to accomplish your goals.

And, yes, I’d rather those funds go to people not actively supporting those trying to kill us.

But, I see you just keep changing your argument every time I refute some idiotic claim you make.

What was it you started out with? No other way in to Afghanistan but China? Then it was it’s too expensive, wasn’t it? Now we have the moral reprehensibility of it as a reason to keep supporting Pakistan and their Tali brothers. You seem to really be carrying a lot of water for them... makes one think, doesn’t it?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
What I am point out is that it is not as simple as one would seem. Nor is it cheap. The USA has spent 2.4 trillion dollars on going into Afghanistan and any more really would not be a good idea. How much more money would or should we spend on this campaign?

My arguments have not changed, and remains the same. Pakistan is the only viable and ultimately the cheapest way to bring supplies and reinforcements into Afghanistan. China will not allow for such, nor do I believe Russia will allow for such. And while I think that this conflict has gone on far too long, the reality is that the USA is stuck there for a good while, and might as well make it as cheap as possible.

And going from the north, then the cost goes up, as we would have to pay at least 3 different countries to move manpower and equipment. And Russia being one of them.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
There is something very wrong in Pakistan and the relationship between them, the US and the IS/AQ/Taliban.

Why did America let so many terrorists including OBL escape into Pakistan and why did Pakistan not do anything?

If they can take a $33bn loss for not keeping their border in order thereby undermining the US effort in Afg then good on them, it's $33bn more US can spend in Afg.

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

a reply to: burgerbuddy

From what I can tell, there is over 70+ us military camps/bases in that region, though some of them are joint operations.

Oh it is not a matter of stupidity but of managing resources. The USA is no where near the region, and thus has to travel there, means that their supply lines stretch out. There is more than one way to interfere with a resource production like oil, and Iran has the tools and means to do such, beyond putting a blockade with the Straits of Hormuz.

I think it's about the new silk road development China wants to build through Pakistan, Afghanistan, then into Azerbajan and finally through Turkey into Europe

With a plan to trade in yuan, Pakistan may be heading towards a point of no return

The US dollar may be replaced by Chinese yuan in China-Pakistan trade, Pakistan's Minister for Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal has said.

Iqbal told this to journalists after the formal launch of Long Term Plan (LTP) for the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPECBSE -4.45 %) 2017-30 signed by the two sides on November 21, Dawn online reported on Tuesday.

The CPEC is a flagship project of China's Belt and Road initiative. The 3,000 km, over $50 billion corridor

economictimes.indiatimes.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   

a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yeah, I am pretty sure. The bases are suppose to be temporary, to support operations that are currently going. However, they do need supplies, and reinforcements.

Now if Pakistan cuts off that supply line, then what do you think will happen to the 11,000 US military personnel present in Afghanistan? While they should be able to hold out for a month, not barring anything major, but a coordinated attack, hitting key points, like say an ammo dump, or more IED's to take out vehicles and then what? No replacements, means that the operating capacity of those troops starts to dwindle down.

Afghanistan also borders Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan, so alternate supply routes, termed the Northern Distribution Network, exist to move supplies into Afghanistan through these countries. However, these routes are longer and costlier than the routes through Pakistan.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join