It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Hope for 2018

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It seems to have escaped your notice that I was talking about political views. Not resorting to Reductio ad Absurdum is something else that would greatly improve the quality of political discourse.

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It still stands.

I find the politics of nazism and extreme islam offensive.

I think most folk do, so again your absurd idea that we should all not be offended is a fantasy.

I see, And would you advocate the censorship of such views.

I put in a edit because I thought you would say that.

The short answer is no.

So they have the right to state their views even if you or others find them offensive.

Again I 100% agree.

I am not saying that people who spout offensive crap should be forced to shut up.

Actually I would love nothing more than for them to have their own words plastered all over the news so that everyone can see them for the racist/homophobic/sexists or whatever that they are.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

To state the obvious.

Words never solved anything.

The War on Terror hasn't either, Nor has taking to the streets acting like the Inglorious bastards to get rid of natzees.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Words never solved anything.

Pretty sure they have solved rather a lot of things.....

I agree with you though on the war on terror but thats for another time

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Pretty sure they have solved rather a lot of things..

Someones not been paying attention.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Pretty sure they have solved rather a lot of things..

Someones not been paying attention.

ahhh that old chestnut.

I disagree with you so the only possible reason why is that I am ignorant....

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Once again you have completely misrepresented what I said. I never said offence did cause harm. I will point out once again that my argument is that claiming to be offended by a legitimate political view should not be used a silencing and deflection tactic in political discussions, and those expressing legitimate views do not deserve to have their reputations ruined.

edit on 1-1-2018 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Once again you have completely misrepresent what I said.

Nope I think you will find that you actually said this in your OP.

No one ever got Ill, or died from being offended.

Its a single sentence.

It is also incorrect.

I do not need to misrepresent what you have said because its written down, you said no one ever got ill or died for being offended. That is wrong.

I will point out once again that my argument is that claiming to be offended by a legitimate political view should not be used a silencing and deflection tactic in political discussions

And I will point out once again, I agree.

I would love to have the views of all the racists and xenophobes published, I say name and shame them, if they feel so strongly about their views let them debate them in the open, so everyone can hear them. I do not think we should silence anyone because we find their views offensive.

Please stop going over the point time and time again because I agree with you on it.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Its a single sentence.

It is also incorrect.

I do not need to misrepresent what you have said because its written down, you said no one ever got ill or died for being offended. That is wrong.

I will point out once again that my argument is that claiming to be offended by a legitimate political view should not be used a silencing and deflection tactic in political discussions

I would love to have the views of all the racists and xenophobes published, I say name and shame them, if they feel so strongly about their views let them debate them in the open, so everyone can hear them. I do not think we should silence anyone because we find their views offensive.

Please stop going over the point time and time again because I agree with you on it.

My hope for a return to reason in political debates in the coming year just died. That has to have been one of the shortest lived hopes of all time.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Its a single sentence.

It is also incorrect.

My hope for a return to reason in political debates in the coming year just died. That has to have been one of the shortest lived hopes of all time.

Why does it offend you???

Chill.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The death of a hope and being offended are not even remotely the same. Your replies to me have demonstrated exactly what I hoped to reason against. Take whatever satisfaction you get from that with my compliments.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The death of a hope and being offended are not even remotely the same

I killed your hope.....

dam I feel bad now....or should I not feel bad because that could imply I am offended by killing your hope?

Your replies to me have demonstrated exactly what I hoped to reason against.

Hang on a second.

So I have at no point been offended by any interaction I have had on this thread so far. Therefore the only reason that your hope could be killed is if you have been offended...

Take whatever satisfaction you get from that with my compliments.

I don't take any kind of satisfaction from it, in fact I really don't quite understand why you are so upset.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Adult reasoning was my hope. You have not demonstrated your ability to grasp the concept, nor have you used it to any real degree in this discussion. I would have to be a dull edged individual to not be upset by supposed adults behaving in so unfit a manner.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I don't take any kind of satisfaction from it, in fact I really don't quite understand why you are so upset.

some brands of conservatives frequently don't take well to any suggestion that they might want to moderate their own speech out of consideration for others... i guess being polite is only the thing to do when it's to people who think just like you?

edited to specify that only SOME conservatives think like this... so i don't get replies from a bunch of offended #notallconservatives about painting with too broad a brush. is that ironic?
edit on 1-1-2018 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Adult reasoning was my hope.

I thought it was to stop dismissing/silencing political views just because they are offensive?

You have not demonstrated your ability to grasp the concept, nor have you used it to any real degree in this discussion.

Dude I have responded to each of your posts and tried to keep it as respectful as I can, you posted something I disagree with on some aspects of it. Its really quite simple its got noting to do with not being able to be adult about the issue. You raised a good point that I have said I agreed with you on. It just so happens that I felt your OP contained several lines that were way off.

I would have to be a dull edged individual to not be upset by supposed adults behaving in so unfit a manner.

Welcome to my world......

Now I am not behaving in a unfit manner, I can see why you might be pissed at me because I have challenged your thread. Now this happens to me in every thread I write only I get the odd death threat, called a retard, usually get told I am a joke and 90% of posts are off-topic. So think about how I feel.

Jeez all I done was point out that I disagree with some aspects of your OP, your posts are kind of ironic given that the OP is about not being so easily offended.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

We all have much better to offer than this, so may Twenty Eighteen be the year we kick this "I'm Offended by that" deflection and suppression BS out of our political debate and act like the reasoned adults we all are.

And we should throw out condescending crap like this before we try to act like fcking robots who are offended by nothing at all.

Unreasonable non-adults are free to join(t) the political debate as well. And the way it looks, they seem to actually lead the pack of mud with threads like this.

Have at it!

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Your first line is a definition of adult reasoning. I'm not pissed at you, but I am slightly saddened, which is also not the same as being offended. I am happy for you to express your views and would not have started the thread if I did not want a discussion on the subject. It seems there is no point in reiterating my original intention again.

I have intentionally not discussed the points were our respective views converge because there is nothing to debate there.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

We all have much better to offer than this, so may Twenty Eighteen be the year we kick this "I'm Offended by that" deflection and suppression BS out of our political debate and act like the reasoned adults we all are.

And we should throw out condescending crap like this before we try to act like fcking robots who are offended by nothing at all.

Unreasonable non-adults are free to join(t) the political debate as well. And the way it looks, they seem to actually lead the pack of mud with threads like this.

Have at it!

And they won't be short of like minded company.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Your first line is a definition of adult reasoning

You can label it whatever you want but the point/ question still stands.

I'm not pissed at you, but I am slightly saddened, which is also not the same as being offended

I think you are getting way too emotional over this.....

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Do you honestly think that being slightly saddened is over emotional? Because that is bizarre thing to say.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I guess that's my invitation to an adult and reasonable debate now?

If you don't mind me asking, was it the dronekill robot argument or what exactly offended you now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join