It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Hope for 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
2017 was the year of the offended. No one ever got Ill, or died from being offended. Being offended by something does not automatically give you the moral high ground, nor does it mean that what you are offended by is, by dint of its perceived offensiveness, not a valid point. A person that offends someone with an expressed thought or a word does not deserve to have their career, and life ruined. My hope for the coming year is that everyone grows the f#ck up, returns to reasoned debate and stops running in hysterical tears to a safe space anytime they hear an opinion that runs contrary to their own.

Reasoned political debate enriches us all and is a safeguard in a civilised society against those who would impose their tyranny on it. Everyone has the same right to voice their view and playing the "Offended" card to silence and suppress is unworthy of democratic values. There is no excuse for hate and attempting to term something hateful because it offends rather than directly attacks is a low and mean spirited trick that detracts from actual hate speech and crimes of hate.

We all have much better to offer than this, so may Twenty Eighteen be the year we kick this "I'm Offended by that" deflection and suppression BS out of our political debate and act like the reasoned adults we all are.
edit on 1-1-2018 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Theres SO many PC distractions that the masses are falling for in the past 12mos, meanwhile they're being 'divided' and 'conquered'.

Lets see what's left of Earth by year end at this rate, chemtrails, 5G, nuclear false flags galore and all!

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Unfortunately the problem is under the guise of 'just saying it like it is', we have cases like that of Lucy Meadows. Where the Daily Mail took it upon themselves to bully and ridicule and harass a transgender teacher until she took her own life.

It is important to be able to say that we are offended by bullying aggressive angry tactics, when lives are put at risk, when real harm is done.

And there are many people in the world, many here on ATS, who won't think the Daily Mail did anything wrong by bullying that woman to death. People who will say she should have just not been offended. That it was somehow her fault.

And that's the problem I suppose. Who gets to decide what is a legitimate offense, and what is not?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Indeed when someone is offended (by losing an election or a video game), someone ELSE dies.

That is how it seems to work in this new world pecking order Beast system, run by the ruthless Cabal who at the end of the day want everyone enslaved and dead when no longer needed here on Earth.. others (people, currencies, religions, countries, etc) just existing seems to offend the privileged Elite =(

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I'm in no hurry to delegitimise bullying and harassment.

I mean it's cool and all, asking people to be civilised. Most of us are. At the same time though this planet has a lot of scum floating on the water. People should get over themselves though right?

No such thing as verbal abuse?

Don't get me wrong, some abuse the lawful system we enjoy, it's a minority... Just like sociopaths are not exactly common, but they exist, and last I checked kids are still killing themselves over bullying.

Personally I'd ask humans to be a bit more civil with each other, but I'd be urinating into the wind really wouldn't I?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
People seem to be getting offended by more and more stupid things. Last year I noticed it more than usual. I read about the man who got offended because the design on the bottom of his slipper's looked like a Nazi Swastika.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The only thing that offends me is bullying by the media. Ruining someone's life without any evidence to what they might have done. Then finding out they were wrong.

I think it's only going to get worse in 2018.
edit on Mon, 01 Jan 2018 10:37:58 -0600101812018000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
My Hope for 2018

May it be a peaceful year and may I end 2018 as a cryptocurrency millionaire.

Shoot for the moon.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think the best way to start this point is by acknowledging that yes, sometimes, political correctness does go too far however I still can not fathom why political correctness is now a bad thing. I think that is why I have such a issue with the OP.

Everyone gets offended and everyone of us at some point has caused offence, its a inevitability really, when I read the OP it almost comes off as if the message behind it is that its ok to be a total jerk and offend people, the problem is not with the offensive crap that people are spouting but rather those who are offended. I for example find racism offensive, if you follow the OPs argument, I should not be offended I should just "grow the f@@k up".

There are just so many lines from the OP it takes issue with.

No one ever got Ill, or died from being offended. Being offended

Really because I know of cases were by individuals have committed suicide because of bullying via social media where by the bullies cause such horrific offence that young people have attempted suicide.

A person that offends someone with an expressed thought or a word does not deserve to have their career, and life ruined.

Again what a utterly stupid statement, what about if a individual is expressing a view that child abuse is fair game??

It might be extreme but its debunks your statement.

My hope for the coming year is that everyone grows the f#ck up

Me too, how about you start growing up yourself however and stop thinking its ok to offend people because you think the very concept of being offended is silly.

You know what I could go on but I think I have made my point.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It seems to have escaped your notice that I was talking about political views. Not resorting to Reductio ad Absurdum is something else that would greatly improve the quality of political discourse.

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

People offend me regularly. It's a fact of life.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
It seems to have escaped your notice that I was talking about political views. Not resorting to Reductio ad Absurdum is something else that would greatly improve the quality of political discourse.

It still stands.

I find the politics of nazism and extreme islam offensive.

I think most folk do, so again your absurd idea that we should all not be offended is a fantasy.

EDIT: Just to make something clear, just because we might find something offensive does not mean it should be shut down as a topic of debate, so for example I might find racism highly offensive but I would not want to silence it rather I would prefer to challenge it and debate it openly. I think when we try to shut up those who hold views we find offensive all we do is drive them underground and they can grow more extreme and it also removes to opportunity to change those views.

edit on 1-1-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

exactly its human nature to be offended.

Yet the OP seems to think we shouldn't be getting offended for some reason.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

All I can say is get over it.

That 14th amendment applies to everyone. Even the people we don't like.

One of the greatest diversities there is. Thought.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

If you can't tell the difference between being offended and mildly irritated, then.....

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It still stands.

I think most folk do, so again your absurd idea that we should all not be offended is a fantasy.

I see, And would you advocate the censorship of such views.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

It still stands.

I put in a edit because I thought you would say that.

The short answer is no.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

All I can say is get over it.

That 14th amendment applies to everyone. Even the people we don't like.

One of the greatest diversities there is. Thought.

You know only about 5% of the earths population are Americans.

Just saying, your constitution does not apply to every individual of planet earth.

And like I said, I have no problem with debating these ideas openly, I am in no way saying that just because something is offensive means we shouldn't talk about it and debate it.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

exactly its human nature to be offended.

Yet the OP seems to think we shouldn't be getting offended for some reason.

I did not claim people should not be offended by what is offensive. I reasoned that being offended should not be used as a way to silence and demean legitimate political viewpoints. This is another example of Reductio Ad Absurdum that I previously mentioned.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

It still stands.

I put in a edit because I thought you would say that.

The short answer is no.

So they have the right to state their views even if you or others find them offensive.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I reasoned that being offended should not be used as a way to silence and demean legitimate political viewpoints.

And if you look closely and stop disagreeing with me just because you like to jump all over alien in a suit avatar you will see that I am agreeing with you on that point.

Just because we might find something offensive does not mean that we shouldn't debate it, in fact it should almost be the opposite.

My issue is with your sweeping statements about how being offended never caused any harm or that we should just grow up and stop being offended.

Its basically the entire first paragraph of your OP that I have issue with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join