It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off I go, to test myself.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Playing at survival is fun. Living it is a nightmare. And F the cold!

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Oh yes for sure. this is a pine forest I got to and I know all about that sap. I once got a fire going in the rain with pine sap, and I mean in the rain. No shelter, rain pouring down and crazy wind. I dug a deep hole and made a wall of dirt around the top to keep the water out. I then used wet pine wood covered in sap to get it started. Once it was lit it burned nice for hours, i was very surprised the first time i did that.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

we call it fat lighter here. 8)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I had to live it for 6 years when i was homeless.

That's why it's importation for me to learn these skills. You never know what tomorrow will bring so while i'm comfortable in life I spend time preparing for when I wont be.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Boots? Go to an Army surplus store. I love mine, gortex lined and light weight and a fraction of any high top boot worth a USA stamp of the manufacturer.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Update this when you get back.
I'd love to hear how things went.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: rickymouse

I do minimalist survival camping alone way out in the forest all the time. I'm not just jumping in.

I do winter camping here every year. This will be the coldest camping I have ever done though.

I've gotten to the point I need just one bag with me when I do summer camping and I hope to get that good at the winter stuff.

It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I started to take a bag with me when I went camping. You would be surprised how many people show up at the campsite when you have a bag.
That was mid Seventies. A barrel of beer also turned a camping adventure into a big party.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Aliensun

yes, I do need boots. But I live in florida and it's hard to find any around here with out ordering them. It's next on my list. My sneakers are wool lined and doing this will give me an idea of what kind of boots I really need for my area.

It’s not hard to find boots in Florida, no offfense but you either aren’t lookijg hard enough or aren’t researching

Please do your research before just taking off, none of this seems well planned

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Stay dry. Very important. If you get wet you'll feel miserable..and also, the wind makes it feel a lot colder than the actual temperature.
When going to sleep (especially in a sleeping bag) you want to make sure your clothes are clean. Don't use the same clothes you have been sweating in during the day. It actually feels warmer in the bag if you sleep naked.. compared to sleeping in sweaty clothes.
Keep your head and throat covered.

Then there is the psychological side. Mind over matter. If you get cold, the body will start to shiver, and you actually loose energy. Calm your breath, and you will feel warmer, relax.

I've been sleeping in igloos and tents when the temperature has dropped to 5F, just in a sleeping bag, no clothes.. (off the ground/snow).

Stay dry, stay calm..and don't expose yourself to wind and you will be just fine

edit on 1-1-2018 by Lumimies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have woken up from my new years festivities a little more so I will make an effort now.

Half the energy expelled in winter is just staying warm.
Eat high fat foods and eat before bed to stay warmer...digestion creates body heat.
For my trip...I am bringing butter to put in my coffee for calories and for fat content.

Inuits survived because of fat....fat is one of the most essential yet hardest items to get in the woods and in cold weather,it is what you need.

Put a heat reflector at the back of the fire...it will reflect heat and will also act as a bit of an exhaust for the smoke.
Everything will be wet and there will be A LOT of smoke...this will help a little.

This is a very good cold weather shelter.
I have done this in colder weather but not extreme cold yet,but it worked like a charm.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
You are going to freeze your ass off at 19 in sneakers and a blanket..

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I wanted to test the tent on snow in Idaho back in the Air Force....me and my buddy took to the Sawtooths and had a steak to cook...we were gonna have a feast picnic

I never got warm enough to stop shakin....the snow under the tent floor......screw a steak......couldn't get a fire goin in snow.......short campout........5 hours....he....he I have no want to snow camp now in the slightest

where in Florida....Mexico beach or out on the tip national park?
edit on 1-1-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I would get a torch lighter if I were you, and only for smokes. If not any survival fire starter kit will do. A lighter is not great when wet and cold.

Get boots. Waterproof boots. I like steel toe, more room means less foot rot.

Change your socks daily. If you sweat too much they will get cold. Wear one pair that is thermal. Two can bunch up and make you hurt your feet. Sweaty wounds suck.

Make your outfit with a wool layer and a waterproof layer over that. Gloves, tops and bottoms. Wool or cotton are great until they are wet. Then they become ice armor.

Bring some plastic bags you can put around your feet and hands at night. Dont use them under any layers.

Bring some chocolate. Something small you can munch on and get to without taking off layers or opening your pack.

Since you are hiking, dont bring anything heavy. I would bring a tarp for shelter and just use sticks you find. 50 ft of cordage you can cut to size once there, and a good hatchet.

1 Small pocket knife.

Get a better hat. A hoodie is great as a final layer to seal your head all in. Use a waterproof one from a jacket. Agtain: ice armor.

Bring a coffee thermos. Full or not. When you boil water, you can then keep some hot water for over 8 hours....sounds great right? Oh, keep a pot of water boiling always. Make instant coffee or tea from whats around you.

Good luck.

edit on 1 1 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
I wanted to test the tent on snow in Idaho back in the Air Force....me and my buddy took to the Sawtooths and had a steak to cook...we were gonna have a feast picnic

I never got warm enough to stop shakin....the snow under the tent floor......screw a steak......couldn't get a fire goin in snow.......short campout........5 hours....he....he I have no want to snow camp now in the slightest

where in Florida....Mexico beach or out on the tip national park?

I have a friend in Idaho and regular hunt up and around there, the sawthooths can be a very unforgiving place. I dont know why people think Colorado is the place to be for ruggedness, they clearly have never hiked the sawtooths that place is like another planet!
edit on 1-1-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Where I live 99% of us would kill for 19 degrees today. Last night it was -26 with wind chill. I don't mean to be rude, but 19 isn't really that cold. Dress in layers, keep hydrated. The more used to the cold you get the better. I am not even kidding when I say people wear shorts and don't wear coat at 30 degrees here. Kids must play outside for recess as long as it is over 8 degrees. If you really want to learn how to survive the cold ask a bum that lives in the North. I still wonder how they do it.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

not too many aware as was I....who was stationed there....I was so lost and homesick.....didn't even know the sawtooths are just one area of major forests....making up the largest forest in the friggin universe....area of bounded coverage on the map....

So, do we retire in Florida....if you love boats yezz......or the mountains......the mountains will wrinkle ya all up.....Texas is just not the answer i guess.....dammit jim

editt....that whole curled tip of Florida is a park for 30 miles to the very end of it...access only by foot.....wild and that's the rough sea hittin that tip.....protecting the worlds largest shark nursery in the universe

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sounds like a fun mission.

I used to do a bit of winter camping, but I use a Trango 3.1 tent.

The biggest problem with hammock camping is staying warm. You need massive insulation in the hammock, wind chill travels up your back, and makes it very hard to warm up, you are litterally wind chilled.

When on the ground,and it is easier to stay warm, or warm the spot on the ground, vs. hanging in the air like a meat locker.

I don't recomend hammock winter camping, especially a warm weather one.

And at 15 degree camping, I recomend a 0 degree sleeping bag, it will still be a bit chilly .

If you have a dog, throw it in the bag with you, and make sure your toasty before you fall asleep, so you dont't wake up a meat popsicle.

If you must use a hammock, you can insulate better by hanging a couple of heavy insulated moving blankets over the hammock.

Good luck, sounds fun.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don't mean to be rude, but 19 isn't really that cold.

I am not even kidding when I say people wear shorts and don't wear coat at 30 degrees here. Kids must play outside for recess as long as it is over 8 degrees.

When I was a kid it was -4..F

These days with all this liberal crap making kids weak, they never have to go out and play, no matter the weather..if they don't want to.

I had an Italian friend visiting a few years ago, and she was seriously shocked about how horribly cold it felt when it was about 20F.
I offered her my mittens to put over the ones she already had, but got lectured about hypothermia and what not, and told not to play with my life trying to be a hero

..and it was t-shirt weather, sunny and all.

I guess it's all about what a person is used to.

I rarely bother to put any clothes on when I go for my morning cig, if the temperature shows warmer than 5F.. refreshing.
Some body parts tend to suffer a little temporary shrinking, witch isn't alway that bad in the morning

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I live in iceland, it was -1F couple of days ago. I used to be pretty used to the cold around here. I dropped alot of weight (fat) since and these days im freezing all the time. Isnt there somekinda clothing, some kinda pajamas you use specificly for extreme colds? Might be a good idea ohh GLHF

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

So far with my sneakers and my long johns I’ve been warm enough so long as I have my gloves on and my ski mask if I’m away from the fire. But check this out I only took a Hamic to put my sleeping bag and in the damn thing wouldn’t stay in the Hamic all night long he just kept falling out so I would wake up and ham in the sleeping ba so far with my sneakers and my long johns I’ve been warm enough so long as I have my gloves on and my ski mask if I’m away from the fire. But check this out I only took your Hamic to put my sleeping bag again and the damn thing wouldn’t stay in the Hamic all night long he just kept falling out so I would wake up and ham and the sleeping bag would be half out of the Hamic and I’d be cold. So around one or two in the morning I just got out of the Hamic put my sleeping bag on the ground and got in it that way. It was surprisingly warm once I got out of the Hamic and into the sleeping bag on the ground so that the blankets were positioned correctly I was toasty it was almost too warm at some point I wanted to stick my head outside of the sleeping bag Just to get some cool air and it would instantly be too cold and I have to stick my head back in. A sheet a sleeping bag and a warm blanket on the ground 19° and I was as warm as I would be at my home. I still have my longjohns on and my socks. And the same thing I’m going to do tonight I’m not even going to try the Hamic but it’s not even supposed to be as cold tonight as it was last night.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join