It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people who do not follow the teachings of christ care what those who do believe?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have seen a lot of our athiest, agnostic, pagan etc members post threads critical of chrstian beliefs. I have seen many threads by the same non-believers asking chrstians to justify our belefs, and some whose sole purpose was to demonise christians for our belefs.
My question is what do you care?
As a hypothetical lets say I am a 1ian and you are not.
if 1ians beleve anyone who steps on a sidewalk crack go to hell, and you are not a 1ian and do not suscribe to that belief then why would you care whther we think you are going to hell or not?
Reaaly I want to understand this, if you are not a christian then why do you care whether our religon approves of you or your lfestyle? I mean we are all just deluded fools who allow a 2000 year old work of fiction to tell us what to do right?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
What's a "1ian"???

Who cares if they care or not? Ever heard of freedom of speech?

Peace

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well if you want a nices talk on religious believe that is why we have "faith, spirituality and theology"

But if you want controverscies and debate that is what " Conspiracy in Religion" is for.

Jus a friendly hint.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a 1ian (oneian) is a fictional religous faction.
I used it hoping to have ths question awnsered without peoples preconcieved notions of christianity getting in the way of logical thought.
I am not debating freedom of speech nor is this thread about freedom of speech. I am wondering why people who say that religon is BS or simply a tool for "social control" care what those who have faith beleve.
As a real world example I believe homosexuality to be a sin.
If a non christian homosexual were to be offended by this I would like to know why. If my beliefs are false anyway then what does it matter?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Maybe I'm a little slow this morning, but I still don't understand the question.

I think that a non-1ian homosexual would only care if you were trying to push your 1ian beliefs on to them.

Is that a good answer?

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Then let me put it more simply.
If you believe that my beliefs as a christian are false, and my beliefs say you are going to be denied entrance to heaven, why would it matter if what I believe is false in the first place?
In other words if christianity is wrong then what does it matter what we believe?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

I don't really care, it's just that I wanna tell you that religions like christianism are a lot misunderstood by it's members and that cause intolerance, wars, hate and judgment towards other....jesus (you beleive in his teachings right? I will use that) Jesus would never hate anybody. he did not hate the people that killed him. Would jesus hate a gay? Do you see jesus reject a gay? If you beleive so much in Jesus, why don't people try to act like him instead of the opposite! That is why I care...
Another thing....the bible have been written by men for men...do you see a woman with power in the bible? It's always about son, father...where is the woman power in all this? Because those men who wrote that wanted to be served by woman....

love
Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It doesn't matter and nobody cares what you believe as long as you don't push your beliefs onto a non-believer, then you're fair game. The answer to your question seems pretty straightforward to me. Am I missing something?

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It's a very valid question.

I believe there is plenty of good solid evidence that beings from beyond our planet have visited the Earth. Furthermore, I believe there is plenty of good and solid evidence that this is being covered up and kept from us, the public at large...

So, do I "care" if someone thinks it's all hogwash? Not really, though I do have no problem voicing my viewpoint, and giving the supporting evidence responsible for my viewpoint. As beings, many of us learn to teach, as well as we love to learn. In my opinion, expressing your own ideas and supporting them is really both teaching and learning at the same time. The "WHY" is the same reason philosophers got together back in ancient Greece. To simply discuss ideas.

The same answer can apply to why some of us will poke holes in the patchwork religion that is Christianity. Whether God, Jesus, or any of it exists is a matter of faith, but the fact that it is a religion made up of various components of many other faiths, is a matter of historical record. Other religions have the same pitfalls... They are all more or less based upon ancient scriptures, written by men who thought that thunder was the anger of gods, to explain that which couldn't be explained. Do I find it amazing that many still cling to this? Sure. Do I think less of them for having their beliefs? Of course not. I've seen many a member here argue quite well the case for Christianity or any other "ism"...

But, it isn't my viewpoint, and so I discuss, present the reasons for my viewpoint, and so on. The "WHY" is again for discussion, I seek no converts. If one converts due to my reasons, it's no "victory", it's just that they are seeing the same evidence I see, and coming to the same conclusion. Likewise, another may not come to the same conclusions. Hey, we're all individuals, and that is our right to do so...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I wish that we true Dr Love but IMHO it isn't.
The simple fact is that my faith in the tenets of my religon offends a lot of people and I don't understand why.
Case in point I belive anyone who doesn't accept Jesus Christ as thier savoir will be denied entrance to heaven. Now many people on this board have either publicly or privately told me this beliefs offends them. Why?
If I'm just a deluded fool who has bought into a 2000 year old form of social control then what does my belief matter?
Muslims believe that unless I become a muslim I wont get into paradise and this doesn't offend me.
Why should my belief that homosexuality is a sin offend anyone if The bible is nothing more than a good bit of fiction?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
99.9% of the events occuring in the world do not directly affect you or me. However that does not mean that we do not express our feelings or thoughts about them.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
``

perhaps...in a reductionist viewpoint, the 'concern' could just be a system of 'checks & balances'. As a way to keep fundamentalists and/or zealots of whatever beliefs from gaining total supremacy & control of government and society.

You are aware of the issues & fingerpointing directed at the Administration right now? Pres. GW Bush is rambling about his duty as a 'born again' person and the 'divine' placing of him at this 'time & place' in history ...
having a 'bully pulpit' the presidential office affords and the special leverage the president has with the authority of 'Executive Orders'...this man- if unrestrained- could do much harm in a short time if un-restrained.

If, a groundswell of 'Crusader' models are justified & rationalized as being
'righteous' & correct in Christian thinking....then our society is merely repeating the errors of our pasts; McCarthyism, Japaneese internments,
Salem witch trials, JimCrow laws & Dred Scott decision, Prohibition, the need for womens' sufferage....(lot & lots more...)

keep a level head, any slings & arrows you precieve as directed at you or your faith ...should be welcomed, in a Christian like manner...

aum

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia

I don't really care, it's just that I wanna tell you that religions like christianism are a lot misunderstood by it's members and that cause intolerance, wars, hate and judgment towards other....jesus (you beleive in his teachings right? I will use that) Jesus would never hate anybody. he did not hate the people that killed him. Would jesus hate a gay? Do you see jesus reject a gay? If you beleive so much in Jesus, why don't people try to act like him instead of the opposite! That is why I care...
Another thing....the bible have been written by men for men...do you see a woman with power in the bible? It's always about son, father...where is the woman power in all this? Because those men who wrote that wanted to be served by woman....

love
Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Amelia, you dont have a clue of what you are talking about when it comes to the God of the bible

Exo 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess,

Judg 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess

2 Ki 22:14 So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess

Neh 6:14 My God, think thou upon Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and on the prophetess Noadiah,

Luke 2:36-37 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel,

Acts 21:8-9 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

1Co 16:19 The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Say "Stop witnessing us back!"

Film at 11.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Film at 11.

HUH???
I dont get it.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I have seen a lot of our athiest, agnostic, pagan etc members post threads critical of chrstian beliefs. I have seen many threads by the same non-believers asking chrstians to justify our belefs, and some whose sole purpose was to demonise christians for our belefs.

I think the people who u are talking about are certainly not majority. I guess they would be either ex-christian (or 1ian) who either have regrets for leaving their old faith, and are questionning their new one (indirectly, by questionning other people's belief) or are just loving their new belief so much, they feel the obligation to try and impose those on others still stuck in the 1ian system. Maybe they feel like they gotta help them free their minds or something.

I guess people who need to question other people's belief probably don't have a strong confidence in their own beliefs.

Edit: True atheists or agnostics usually won't give a damn.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by m0rbid]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Film at 11.

HUH???
I dont get it.

I know.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It happens all the time. Two people could post about God, and someone would but in and ruin the conversation for
no reason.

Honestly, I think that some people who do this truly understand that it (could) be true deep down, but feel the need to attack it because they
just don't want to follow what Jesus says.

Like the above poster said, its a lack of confidence in your own truths, or a fear that it might be true, and that means
we do have a God and a set of rules that are hard to follow.

Good topic though mwm.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I guess people who need to question other people's belief probably don't have a strong confidence in their own beliefs.

True atheists or agnostics usually won't give a damn.

Exactly! If you honestly felt that it was "hogwash" you wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it. Let's use the hypothetical example of a religion that believes it is wrong to cut down trees. What if they stood outside lumber mills with signs that said "Tree killers go to hell"? If you honestly feel that their religion is a farce you'll drive by them every day and laugh. Who cares what they think. You would cut down trees all day long and feel just fine about it. Now if you had some doubt that they might be correct, you might actually start to argue the point with them. Otherwise you'd completely skip over the tree-killer threads.

Now let's jump to abortion. Is killing an unborn child wrong? If so is there a punishment for this crime? If there is a punishment, then who is in charge of the punishment? O dear! There might actually be a God that we are accountable to. If you honestly believe that the protesters outside the clinic were idiots who didn't have a clue, then who cares what they think. You would probably even hold you head up high and say, "Hey, this is my 5th abortion this year"!

What is that nagging feeling of doubt in the back of you mind? What is that twinge of guilt? It's the feeling that they might actually be right. It's the feeling you get when you're not sure of yourself. So now I must argue that you are wrong to make myself feel right. Basically when I argue that Christianity is wrong, I'm attempting to convince myself rather than you.

One more example. Let's say the "Missing bridge" religion follower is standing on the side of the road with the sign that says "Bridge out ahead. Stop now!" The Missing bridge follower believes that they are helping you. If you don't believe them then why question their actions? Keep on driving. If you believe them, or are unsure, then stop and debate the issue with them. "Is the bridge really out?"

By the way, if you are one of the "sign holders", remember that it is only your duty to hold the sign with the message. Don't attempt to stop the cars to avoid an accident. People will do what they want to do, so don't let it bother you if they don't see things your way. If people do want to stop and discuss the issue then please do, but don't force it on people. Hold your sign and keep those that wish to be, informed.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Why should my belief that homosexuality is a sin offend anyone if The bible is nothing more than a good bit of fiction?

Well, what about offending those homosexuals that ARE also Christians? They do exist you know... I think that this is the case where there is genuine "offense".

If the belief then leads to persecution, and restriction of rights based on their preference though, then it might be going over the line, don't you think?

Look, I pretty much want to
when I see two dudes kiss...but having a gay brother, one thing I do know is that it is not a "choice". He's simply really always had that bent...even when little, it's only now obvious (hindsight being 20/20). He liked playing with the neighborhood girls more than the boys. We were both raised in the same exact environment, so one can't go down that road either... I could no longer "choose" to be attracted to a guy, than he can "choose" to go for girls...
It simply is what it is, and this is evident all the time in nature, (heck my female chihuahuas are constantly at it when one's in heat, hehe...)

Funny thing though, to Christians some may see it as a sin, but in the end, the only criteria for you guys is accepting Jesus, and to truly repent...
So, you could have quite a few for company in Heaven, hehe....

Out of curiousity though, just what does one do in Heaven, if so many things people do are sins? Just bow and worship the creator all day? My, that sounds grand...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join