It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some news about legalize marijuana sales

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

California is set to begin sales of recreational marijuana on January 1.
The market is expected to hit $3.7 billion in 2018 alone, and that number will increase to over $5 billion in 2019.
Legal marijuana will be a tax windfall for the state.

Yes but with their additional 15% in taxes; which as it stands now, will increase the cost from 54$ (taxed already) to 65$ for eighth-ounce bag.. I guess that is one way to keep the black market alive and well.. I remember back in south Texas after government increased the taxes on Cigarettes and other tobacco products there were several people selling cartons of cigarettes with home delivery.. $100 would buy you 5 cartons of name brand smokes while at a normal store one carton would cost over $55.. One guy made his deliveries in his new Escalade Cadillac because he had a rather large customer base.... I think he only paid 12$ per carton in Mexico ?

"If there are only 10 regulated dispensaries in the East Bay and I live 45 minutes from one of them, I’m going to call my dealer or my unregulated delivery service like I’ve done for the last five years," Hezekiah Allen, the executive director of the California Growers Association, told Bloomberg.

There will be many other who will do the same no doubt..
Also there is this: www.businessinsider.com...

Legal marijuana sales are predicted to hit $9.7 billion in 2017, a 33% increase over 2016, according to a new report.
The growth is buoyed by new states legalizing marijuana, and sales exceeding expectations in existing markets.
Analysts predict the market to hit $24.5 billion in sales by 2021, despite continued federal prohibition.

With that kind of money I doubt they will be able to shut this down anytime soon.. Unless they want another 1920s gangland..which in some cities they already have IMO
"The legal marijuana market is exploding — it'll hit almost $10 billion sales in this year"

The industry's growth is buoyed by a number of new state-legal markets coming online in 2017. Nevada, where legal marijuana sales began in July, raked in $27 million during the first month of sales, according to the report, prompting a supply shortage that forced Gov. Brian Sandoval to issue a "statement of emergency" to bring more marijuana into the state.

Revenue for the first six months of 2017 in Colorado, Washington, and Oregon — the first three states to legalize marijuana for adult-use — ran 33% ahead of 2016, also indicating that the market is still growing, according to the report.

California is set to begin sales of recreational marijuana on January 1, adding a massive consumer base to the industry. And Canada is set to begin nation-wide sales on July 1, 2018.

I remember stories of people coming from Colorado (after legalization) to Texas and getting busted for the weed by the Texas Highway patrol.. Not nice to say the least..
www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 727stk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   
8 ounces for $65 is one hell of a deal, are you sure you don't mean grams?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackDog

Sorry I have never bought any and know very little about the industry..... I misread the eighth-ounce bag as 8 ounces.. I did edit the comment; thank you..

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The prices will drop pretty quickly, at least that’s what happened in Washington state. In the first couple months supply was low and demand was high so rec shops could set high prices, but within about a year the prices had dropped to equal the illegal market, with sale prices going even lower. Hundred dollar oz here are commonplace.

They were correct about the illegal market drying up too, no one wanted to go threw the hassle of meetting with a typical pot dealer when you could go to a corner shop and have 50+ choices layed out in lighted cases for you.
edit on 1-1-2018 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Editing

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sorry I have never bought any and know very little about the industry..... I misread the eighth-ounce bag as 8 ounces.. I did edit the comment; thank you..

No worries, you were getting me all excited there

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Ya, I'm from Washington State, there is a weed store in my town, they sell 1/4 ounce for $50 if you get lucky. But their prices change all the time, and they seem to cycle through different suppliers. They also offer vape pens with vape cartridges - 1/2 gram cartridge of THC oil for $20, $20 for the pen itself. Sometimes, they can be expensive if you go there on a wrong day, as in $60 for 1/8 ounce.
edit on 01amMon, 01 Jan 2018 05:52:56 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The prices in California have dropped,more availability,more customers,lot's of compettion new strains etc,I know people who own dispensarys,and do occasional security,except liquor industry has a law no dispensary next to a liquor store,crime is down

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I can't believe how utterly stupid it is that many fellow Americans can walk into a store, browse around and purchase their favorite strands of MJ while it is completely illegal in other states.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Just because it is legal in one state does not make it legal in another state. The southern border has issues with certain medications where they can be bought over the counter in Mexico but require a prescription in the US. People would not understand why they were being arrested while trying to reenter the US.

As for the marijuana industry we knew this was going to happen. Legalization was not going to solve the drug problem as it would be strictly controlled / regulated, keeping the demand for the illicit purchase.

The only reason some states have allowed it is strictly for economic reasons. The government wants their share of the money and nothing more.

States pushing / passing legalization are going to create a backlash from the federal government and are going to lose if push comes to shove on the issue. The higher the tax the less effective the law becomes. I am surprised people have not just created a fraudulent prescription label and just put their stash in it to bypass the law altogether.

It just seems to me there should be a better way of doing this without compounding the problem by thinking that if its legal everyone will just drop the illegal route and go legit.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

some people will still call the curb man. yeah. the state is going to kill it with this.
i would gladly pay a 15-20% tax if that also means i get to be free from worry about the stupid ass law AND i get to walk into the apple store of green and take my pick of what i want and the strength i want it in.
i am not the only one

that is a big stepping stone imo to other states doing it and someone in the government finally realizing they can make a # ton of money so good for them and far fewer laws and people getting busted for it so good or us.

hopefully it is a another step that way.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

8 ounces for $65 is one hell of a deal, are you sure you don't mean grams?[/quote

I usually get a hybrid, sativa dominate, I spend $10 a gram. I get the top shelf though...I have had my medical card for 3 years, and will continue to have one, because I will pay less than recreational users. It really does help me medically though.

The shop I go to, has not required a medical card for about 6 months now, just a valid CA ID.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The better way is to grow freedom and reduce government

Its the only way.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The whole tax thing is government's way of forcing their agenda on the people. People voted for recreational weed, government is against it (LEO, pharma, and liquor lobbies) so they'll try to tax it to death. Kinda like the GOP and the ACA. If you can't fix it just wreck it and then tell the people, 'see? It's not working'. Will of the People my ass.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

People can still grow it for free. They just have limits on how much they can grow at any specific location without a license.
edit on 1-1-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

True I guess. But there's a great deal more to growing it than just sticking a seed in a flower pot.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Ok, but what does that have to do with your previous point? Here's some info on California's new situation:

1. The minimum age is 21
2. Possess no more than 6 plants at a time
3. Grow only where you live, where it cannot be seen and lock it
4. Carry no more than 28.5 grams, leave the rest at home
5. Cities can prohibit outdoor growing, but not indoor growing

Growing Marijuana In California

And this is for growing it freely at home. What agenda is being pushed with this?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Again, most people won't have the inclination and ability to grow weed. At least not anything worth growing. The intent of the people was to make weed legal recreationally and thereby allow retail trade in it. The government --- not only in CA but here in MA where we voted medical in 2012 and recreational in 2016 --- is dragging it's feet in implementation and strangling it with taxes causing the reaction in your articles: screw it, I'll just buy on the black-market for less.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Funny but the state of Colorado is seeing a reduction in teen use...

Controlling a substance is a big plus for the consumer. The quality and potency is an important thing to know.

For instance anti legalization people falsely say oh the pot is 10x's stringer than it used to be.

It can be, but it can also be less. With regulation you would know such a thing. Like how you know a beer is not equal to the same volume of scotch. Or that the beer isn't loaded with toxic chemicals.

Marijuana is no different. You can know how strong it is an act accordingly.

Also the majority of the nation is in favor of legalization. The backlash of a federal crackdown would be pit onto the representatives.

Drugs should be controlled by toxicity. Since Marijuana has the lowest toxicity and addiction potential should be treated as such.

Leo's are concerned a reduction of funding will happen, well guess what we have a opiod epidemic, spending time on Marijuana enforcement with no overdose potential and limited addiction potential is beyond stupid.
edit on 1-1-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

some people will still call the curb man. yeah. the state is going to kill it with this.
i would gladly pay a 15-20% tax if that also means i get to be free from worry about the stupid ass law AND i get to walk into the apple store of green and take my pick of what i want and the strength i want it in.
i am not the only one

that is a big stepping stone imo to other states doing it and someone in the government finally realizing they can make a # ton of money so good for them and far fewer laws and people getting busted for it so good or us.

hopefully it is a another step that way.

You also get the benefit of knowing it's not loaded with pesticides or fertilizers and it's potency. You can have a mild buzz or full on wheel chair just like alcohol.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

What is the tax on alcohol in MA?

Hmm smells like a conspiracy.

Alcohol sales way down in Colorado.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join