It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many guns do you hear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Happy New Years ATS. It's just past midnight in California. I'm in a city of over 50,000 people with a serious violent crime problem. I'm no symphony composer- i can't tell one shotgun from the next unless they are in opposite directions. But tonight I learned that at least two people within a block or two of me own AK-47s. Overall though I'd say there are maybe 20-50 guns firing within earshot of me- I'm shocked how little overlap there is between shots. Really it could be 10 spread out between only 3 houses causing all this racket assuming they've got one hell of an ammo budget. But assuming Nobody is firing more than 20 bucks into the air, there are a few dozen people blowing away the old year right now... a few dozen out of a thousand or more within earshot. Maybe 1% of the population in my violent ghetto ass neighborhood are firing. What would you guess about the ratio of people who shoot at midnight on new years compared to the number of people who fire in a revolution? I'm assuming if 50 people near me are firing weapons on new years, i'm lucky if 25 people near me would fire if they had to choose liberty or death. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should be mid civil war and shooting eachother right now, I don't particularly like the idea that my neighbors are playing with deadly weapons, but suppose the Russians or ISIS showed up... It sounds like 98% of us wouldn't be doing much about it. How many guns do you hear?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I live in Reno, NV and people in my neighborhood seem to think it's ok to shoot right in the middle of town.

We all know who's doing it generally, but in today's society, we can't talk about all the young dreamers who just need a chance to keep discharging firearms in heavily populated areas.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Wish I was there to hear it.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   
And somehow you survive all that merciless armada of 'murder'...

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

What’s the consequence?

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: projectvxn

What’s the consequence?

The usual browbeating of honesty.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Never shoot anything heavier than birdshot (7 1/2 12 ga.).
It sounds like rain when it falls. (or so i've heard:ham

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: grubblesnert

Harry Whittington has your back on that for sure- but if they make birdshot for the AK then I missed an article of guns and ammo. I'm only half complaining- on the one hand I like the idea that not all of my neighbors are the quiet type if China invades... on the other hand I know my neighbors and I dont trust all of them to be driving cars, much less be handling a gun in range of me. It's not a lecture it's a question. A vexing one in my book.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It's 5 degrees in my neighborhood. Nobody got out to even shoot off fireworks. Normally we have a couple of fireworks shows in the area but not tonight. Wind chill makes it fell like minus 15! Everyone was huddled around the fire drinking mulled wine or hot cocoa.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   

-21 up here atm

the igloos are holding up fine

pretty sure i heard a canon shot in the distance a few mins ago...

2018 working out well so far

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I heard ABBAs dancing queen way too loud and in the morning some clown mowing New Year's Day at 7 am, inconsiderate bastard

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Are you sure you are not hearing fireworks or firecrackers? Considering the date, and all. I mean, they were going off all night over here.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Each has its own distinct sound. Some you can tell when you hear it.

A pack of Firecrackers don't go bang bang bang , evenly spaced.

Used to be lots more people shooting guns around here. Now they have that acoustic tech on street poles that triangulate the sound of shots , California urban sprawlers be warned.

links
edit on 1-1-2018 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It was dipping below zero here.

But there were still morons out shooting fireworks last night. It's not the fireworks I object to, just the idea that anyone would be out in sub-zero weather with a windchill well below that to do it!

I didn't hear gunfire, but that doesn't mean no one fired a weapon last night.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
More guns were fired than fireworks going off in this more rural county. Even in the rural no shooting zones.

edit on 1-1-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

What town is that?

I wonder why it is so prevalent in the West?

Here in the East it is not so prevalent unless you are really in the bad part of town and even then still rare.

top topics

join