It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The great big thread of whacky flat Earth arguments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ain't been on here in a while but been seeing and hearing a lot 'bout this ol' flat Earth so thought I'd compile a shortlist of my favourite arguments that I've seen put forward by flat Earthers.

1. If the Earth is moving then why come it takes the same amount of time to fly 100 miles east as it does to fly 100 miles west?

In another, more specific variation of this argument the locations New York and Los Angeles were mentioned. I suppose what they're trying to say is that if a plane is in the air and not making direct contact with the Earth, that the rotating Earth should move inpedendently of the plane.

Thus, if the plane is moving in a direction contrary to Earths rotation it should travel at a faster rate - like the rotation of the Earth doesn't actually affect its contents, this really boggles my mind.

But then you realise that there are a lot of variables that could and do affect the time it takes to travel anywhere, a flight from NY to LA might take longer than it did previously because things travel at different speeds and can be impeded by natural phenomena like weather. Or perhaps weather is a lie perpetuated by NASA.

2. If you fly straight up, the horizon will always remain at eye level.

What? the thing that really bugs me about a lot of the flat Earth arguments is that in order to prove any of them you'd need to do the very thing that flat Earthers mostly say is impossible - you'd have to reach an altitude that many of them claim can't actually be reached.

There are no pictures of the Earth from space showing the Earths curvature, they are all CGI simply because they can't possibly have been taken - but you must consider their argument that in order to prove you'd have to do what they claim can't be done...so how can they even begin to assert that their initial claim is true if, by their own standards, it cannot actually be proved?

But then I think..who has actually done this? They tell you to go out and try these things -- I can't levitate to high altitude whilst remaining perfectly vertical. That's a key concept i think is lacking in those who use this argumet...vertical! What if I were to lay on my back and ascend directly up into the heavens...I ain't gonna see no horizon then, am I? Not even at 6ft.

Perhaps the horizon is an illusion cast by the shadowy hand of the evil NASA

3. We have no images of the Earth from space because it isn't possible.

I know, I mentioned this before. But what annoys me about this specific argument is that after a typical flat Earther tells you this they will then go on to tell you of some whacky backyard tinkerer or some famous rap guy is sending a rocket into orbit to take pictures of the Earth and show that it's flat.

So highly funded organisations that have had a wealth of experienced, learned people all contributing to this stuff for decades are trumped by some ramshackle, radio-shack Roger building a craft in his shed out of tin cans. Take this dude - Mike hughes as an example.

He built his rocket out of scrap metal...naturally, if he actually succeeds in reaching a reasonable altitude and survive his pictures will not be CGI and will conclusively prove that the Earth appears to be flat from the mile or two high he actually gets. Flat Earth folks tend not to understand the concept of mass or scale - I had one guy tell me he stood atop a block of high-rise flats here in the UK and could see no curvature therefore flat Earth.

The curved Earth theory was cooked up by and is no doubt a huge cash-cow to the evil head honchos at the notoriously develish NASA.

4. The sun and the moon are projections

Where to even start with this one...

I did ask one guy what these projections are being projected on to and was told that there's a firmament. Sounds legit, rolls off the tongue - fir-ma-ment.

Essentially there is a dome of some sort that covers the earth...naturally, the dome itself is curved, to suggest otherwise would be crazy! So the dome, or firmament, is curved and the earth is flat - kinda like a snowglobe.

Presumably this is why we can't ascend high enough to actually take images from space and hence as to why all images showing a curved Earth are in fact computer generated fakes that were photoshopped by the evil genuises at NASA. that is until someone like the afore-mentioned Mike hughes comes along with his superior understanding of technology -- for Mike has the power to defy the dome!

But don't think that you can ask about these projectors, like who invented them and when, or where they are. Accept it on face value for it's apparently obvious and anyone who thinks otherwise believes in witchcraft and magic...long established notions are to be discarded in favour of the projector theory which clearly makes more sense.

5. If the earth is moving then why do we see the same stars in the sky?

This is similar to the argument where they claim the Earth itself moves independently of its contents. They have an issue with the simple concepts like locality, containment, momentum... basic physics and the laws of motion in general.

By now they're telling you that you're a shill who has a boner for NASA and that you should get out there and do some research. You have no basis for your beliefs - you cannot trust what you've been told by anyone and your senses lie to you - but you should go out and conduct poorly defined experiments and observe the flawed results to prove that the planet we're on is actually flat using these senses that are flawed and untrustworthy.

They're telling you that you're a slave to the lies and believe everything you've been told, they know better because someone in a YouTube video told them. They'll refer you to YouTube channels and websites that tell you all of the same half-cooked notions they've just told you...none of which make any sense.

Conclusion

Those are just some of my favourite flat Earth arguments.

The reason most of us are reluctant to do any more research is simply because the calibre of your arguments up to now have been abysmal at best. Many of the spherical Earth concepts were established long before NASA existed. People don't argue with you because they love NASA...who cares about them?

Sure, they probably lie about a lot of things...there are a lot more people out there and have been over the centures who independently researched and said the same things that agencies like NASA are saying.

People don't wanna waste time chasing a red herring...but the worst thing about the flat Earthers is they claim we spherical idiots cannot accept the truth because - EGO!

We're not the ones who think we're smarter than everyone else...that we figured out something that hundreds of years of scientific experiment and analysis got wrong or lied about because we watched some YouTube videos.

We're not the ones who look down on those who don't buy, at face value, claims made by nobodies who make videos on their PC in their bedrooms...they tell you to go out and try all of these silly little experiements witout actually going out and trying them first, themselves.

And that wraps the opening post in this amazing thread. I invite you all to contribute with your favourite whacky flat Earth arguments.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I use the Earth as a coaster while I'm drinking, you just don't realize it because I only do it on your opposite side.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
I use the Earth as a coaster while I'm drinking, you just don't realize it because I only do it on your opposite side.

No subsequent response to this thread will top that stick that on ya coaster!

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LungFuMoShi
Essentially there is a dome of some sort that covers the earth...naturally, the dome itself is curved, to suggest otherwise would be crazy! So the dome, or firmament, is curved and the earth is flat - kinda like a snowglobe.

I actually subscribe to flat sky theory and I scoff at the boldness of your claim.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

You know what...a flat dome and concave Earth would make more sense.

We live in a huge space bowl covered with cling film.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LungFuMoShi

"De Earth: she is-a flat. Like-a you head! " BOING!!!!

(Christopher Columbus to Bugs Bunny, in a historically almost-accurate film.)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Desperate times in the conspiracy world these days, everything is being drowned out by Trump Inc, so to fill in the gaps, we've collectivly convinced ourselves we're living in a made-up BS fantasy world.

It's either that or Trump threads........take your pick..

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Desperate times in the conspiracy world these days, everything is being drowned out by Trump Inc, so to fill in the gaps, we've collectivly convinced ourselves we're living in a made-up BS fantasy world.

It's either that or Trump threads........take your pick..

A picture really is worth a thousand words, that really made me laugh!

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I realise that it's a picture of words...just always wanted to use that expression.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Point one can be easily shown whilst riding on a train, especially a bullet train that travels over 300km/hr.

If you jump inside the cabin whilst travelling at that speed, a flat earther would say you’d get flung into the back of the cabin.

Clearly, this doesn’t happen. Same deal with planes flying within our atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We have no images of the Earth from space because it isn't possible

Well we don't.

The only thing we have pictures of is an object in space traveling at thousands of miles an hour that gives the illusion of being 'round'.

Take away the water.

Adjust for EONS of volcanic activity, and weather that's changed the face of the planet.

What we end up with is anyones guess.

Climate changed to the extreme.

Planetary change.

A constant state of motion and reshaping itself.

So 'flat eathers ' Mock them if you must.

But 'rounders' just as fanciful.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LungFuMoShi
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

You know what...a flat dome and concave Earth would make more sense.

We live in a huge space bowl covered with cling film.

This is the best thread to be reading on a train this Sunday arvo.
if only the pedestrians knew I was madly grinning about flat sky theory that counters the flat earth theory

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I've never paid much attention to Flat Earthers, but this is just whacky.

Why do Flat Earthers think NASA is is lying about the Earth being round? What possible reason or motivation could they have to lie??

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
I've never paid much attention to Flat Earthers, but this is just whacky.

Why do Flat Earthers think NASA is is lying about the Earth being round? What possible reason or motivation could they have to lie??

NASA , just like any other government organization around the world , are only in business to jerk folks around ya know.. Do you believe anything any one of them have to say ?
I believe humans are de-evolving back to the days of the amoeba.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
You forgot my favorite one!!!

They argue that if the earth were round, that planes would fly straight off the round surface “because they never correct for the curvature of the earth while flying.”

Planes have altimeters. Pilots are CONSTANTLY correcting their direction and altitude. That’s like saying a car would drive straight forever on a straight road if the driver was blindfolded and held perfectly still.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Why do people even acknowledge flat earthers and make threads for them?
edit on stamkSun, 31 Dec 2017 00:43:00 -0600am31America/ChicagoSun, 31 Dec 2017 00:43:00 -060043 by Sakrateri because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sakrateri
Why do people even acknowledge flat earthers and make threads for them?

Don't try and explain yourself to idiots, you're not the dickhead whisperer.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Meh, if earth were flat cats would have pushed everything off it by now

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
My brother now believes the Earth is flat.

Sadly he came to this conclusion from destroying his once highly intelligent brain with drugs and alcohol over a couple of decades.
So Flat Earth imho, is the result of some kind of mental illness or deterioration.

And sadly try as you might. There aint ever fixing that, no changing the mind. If they believe it now, they will always believe it.

I really do miss talking to him logically and sanely about science, space and everything.

I think it is all stupid, but I am not gonna hate on these people anymore than I would hate on someone with Schizophrenia, Down Syndrome or a belief that invisible entities control their lives.
edit on 31-12-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: reasons

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I believe humans are de-evolving back to the days of the amoeba.

I am not sure humans are devolving. I just think the vast majority never evolved mentally to begin with.
Just seems they are devolving when we have such advanced tech created by a small few, that it gives the appearance they're devolving.
When in fact they're just as stupid or intelligent as humans have always been since the dawn of time.

But thanks to there being more people now than ever before, and that we now live in an age of instant information we just have an illusion there is more of everything now, when the percentages have stayed about the same.

e.g are there more pedos and other deviants now than 100 years ago? Nope, there is just more sources telling us about them every 5 minutes, and it is discussed more openly than there was 100 years ago.

I would say there is about constant 5% of the human population that is advancing the species in any way, all through out history. And 95% that has always been capable of going back to the dark ages without much change to the way they think.
The majority of folks are just cavemen with fancier caves.

edit on 31-12-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: typos as usual. probably more in there lol.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join