It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have met my greatest enemy.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Sounds like something Mark Twain would have said.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Something like this?

www.sunfell.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Keep on laughing!

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have never understood boredom. How can people be bored when we live in a world where there is so much to do and learn?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

The human mind is a complicated machine.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
If you're not averse to firearms,- get an old rifle.

Rework it. It will be time consuming, yet extremely rewarding at the same time.
It's a cheap ass winter hobby that can yield a hefty reward , both mentally , physically, and financially. ..

Or I'd you like to fish, learn to tie lures...

Whatever it is, find something to put your hands on.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Thanks, that's good advice. Sadly, for me, I have several hobbies and a lot of half finished projects that I have no drive to complete.

On the plus side. I started a re watch of doctor who (2005). God this show is just so amazing. I wish Christopher would have done more than one season.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Boredom.

Perpetual endless boredom.

It's saturating me, every moment of the day. In my youth I could shrug it off and divert my attention to other interests and hobbies.

Now, it seems like it had always been there, waiting and slowing chewing away waiting for it's moment to strike.

Strike it has, it's a surreal feeling. It, and it's accomplice "time", is a mighty foe that seems to be winning out over what should have been a beautiful mind.

Thank God for booze.

Hiya MS.

The "I" that gets bored: is our ego.
It also consumes us with the desire for distraction. Including booze.
Am not proselytizing, because am not immune to it yet. Still feel it, but am able to "see" it, in observation mode.-
-
How would you like to feel? See anyone that appears to feel that way?
Observe them, and learn their good habits.
-
Tell yourself you are a good man, and welcome peace into your heart.
Gently let your ego know, that it can't be boss all of the time, and that you will sometimes follow your heart, and that's ok.
-
Punching oneself in the head: would be an example of how NOT to do this.
If you can't Love yourself: who's gonna Love you?
-
Then: boredom will be a thing of the past.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Tompdx3

I find that photography has been that to me:It makes me look at Everything with fresh eyes and that sense of adventure.When the photography bug bites you,you start noticing all the details in a room or environment..the play of light and shadow,interesting angles and PoV's etc.In a way you become a child again.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Learn to draw or paint or play a musical instrument.
Boredom is for boring people.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I am never bored. But then again, i have mental health issues and i will not recommend that as a "solution"

How about you arranging a real cool new year's party?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I have several hobbies and a lot of half finished projects that I have no drive to complete.

Oh man, I feel for ya, Brother. My home is full of unfinished.

The meds my Doctor gives me make me feel like a just poured pancake...I think if the house caught fire, I would probably just try to ride it out on the recliner....jk

Best advice I could give you is to learn to meditate, if you haven't already.
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
I have never understood boredom. How can people be bored when we live in a world where there is so much to do and learn?

Some of us have realized learning is the cause of boredom...it is a result of UNLEARNING so we can pretend we do not know anything...that results in the feeling of meaninglessness.

Cycles are boring...time for something new.....

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You could ask the Universe for some real adventures and really mean it when you do.

What can result is so far from boring it can shapeshift even your soul.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Some of us have realized learning is the cause of boredom...it is a result of UNLEARNING so we can pretend we do not know anything...that results in the feeling of meaninglessness.

Cycles are boring...time for something new.....

There might be wisdom in here. When i was like 15, i thought i knew absolutely everything about myself and the world surrounding me. Now i am 36 and i feel i don't know much about anything. Keen to learn though. Bad memory might oppose that

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Boredom.

Perpetual endless boredom.

It's saturating me, every moment of the day. In my youth I could shrug it off and divert my attention to other interests and hobbies.

Now, it seems like it had always been there, waiting and slowing chewing away waiting for it's moment to strike.

Strike it has, it's a surreal feeling. It, and it's accomplice "time", is a mighty foe that seems to be winning out over what should have been a beautiful mind.

Thank God for booze.

Might I suggest World Of Warcraft or similar online addictive game?

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Know the feeling. Literally life feels as if it has become a TV show on repeat. Same #, different day.
Kind of makes sense our planet is based upon going around in circles. (Highlighted by the fact we're just finishing one orbit of a star and beginning another.)

Feels like everything has already been done. TV shows, Books, Video games, it's all be done before, same plots, same stories, just names and locations are changed.
Same for many other life experiences.

Things I want to do are unrealistically out of my reach, visiting the moon and other space exploration for example.
And a bunch of other things.
I've never been one to be amused from watching others throw a ball about either on screen or in person.

I turned 43 recently, and it now feels like I am just counting the grains until the glass runs out. Honestly been like that since I was about 20.

Nothing seems to satisfy. Eat, Sleep, Work, Have the same conversations and interactions every day. Over and over, wash rinse and repeat.

My mind is always looking for new things to try. For some reason I am incapable of enjoying doing the same thing over and over.
My wife can watch Lord of The Rings 5 times in a single day 7 days in the week and enjoy it every time. I watch a movie once and don't feel the urge to watch it again ever.

But I am finding it harder and harder to find new things to do, well things that won't have a negative impact on others.

Just getting worse. The whole repeat cycle is getting old. Life like those books I mentioned just seems to be the same crap but with a different name and shinier toys.

Not a drinker so even just numbing my brain is not an option, so you at least have that.

I really miss being a young child. When everything was new and exciting.
Now I find waking up and getting out of bed a chore.

I think the internet has actually made it worse. as it gives me an instant window to the world that shows me that # is the same every where. That the things that make a difference are only a paint job.

I guess that is why I come to sites like ATS, in the hope I will see some proof of a more extraordinary universe actually exists. That there is new things to learn and experience.
Not that it will ever put those things into realistic reach.

I think at this point in would have to win the lottery to have a chance of doing anything of interest to me from this point on.
I think sadly the vast majority of us will find life to be mostly unfulfilling. I envy the easily amused, those that cannot see the world past their own hand at any given moment.

tl;dr regardless of your reasoning for the boredom. You are not alone.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   

So do something. Stand up. Engage brain. Learn. Explore. Experiment.

No...

Properly.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   

LOL,that could work,slapstick comedy will be boredom

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I found myself in extreme boredom when I became too ill a fews ago-somewhat confined.

I had alot of education but have always been frustrated about so much in this life, world, people that I didn't know.

I'd raised my family, been married, divorced etc. and was now in a place of extreme boredom.

I first started to take some really hard classes online that expanded my mind. Then I joined the University's Alumni club which had lectures, trips and gobs of interesting and people enthusiastic about life. And it literally saved my life; by that I mean my mind.

So, think about expanding your mind with new places, people and adventures.

My best friend of over 40 years and I call it "running away-getting lost." It is kind of like starting over mentally. The rest follows naturally.
edit on 31-12-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join