It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple iMessage “maybe” contact prediction.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Hi, I’m sorry if this comes across as a really stupid question, but I received an iMessage a while ago from my daughter using her friends iPhone because hers is out of charge. The thing that is confusing me is that when I received the message it showed up as “maybe Emily”. I understand that the iPhone can link emails and other contacts I have in my phone or other such devices, but how if her friend isn’t in my contacts, emails or anything did it make that “correct prediction”.Im not technologically minded and I have to say it is blowing my mind a little.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: penfold
Hi, I’m sorry if this comes across as a really stupid question, but I received an iMessage a while ago from my daughter using her friends iPhone because hers is out of charge. The thing that is confusing me is that when I received the message it showed up as “maybe Emily”. I understand that the iPhone can link emails and other contacts I have in my phone or other such devices, but how if her friend isn’t in my contacts, emails or anything did it make that “correct prediction”.Im not technologically minded and I have to say it is blowing my mind a little.

You can use one phone to share it's internet connection with another - it's called "tethering". So if phone #1 has ran out of mobile or you need internet access for your laptop, then it can use wi-fi or bluetooth to share internet connectivity from the phone. The problem is that E-mails gets a funny message tacked on saying that this "might be" from , which really annoying if it's something job related.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: penfold

I’ve had this myself .. I think it links Facebook ..LinkedIn and email with contacts on your phone .. ?

edit on 122017fAmerica/ChicagopmSat, 30 Dec 2017 16:59:07 -060039 by nofear39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: nofear39

I’ve had this myself .. I think it links Facebook ..LinkedIn and email with contacts on your phone .. ?

That would make sense, But I don’t have any social media accounts whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I’ve only had it recently.. didn’t think much of it ..

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I recently had something similar. I friend of mine got a new phone and a new phone number (non-iPhone) and sent me a text. When I got the message in iMessages it said it was "maybe" from "Bill". It was right and until then I had no idea he had a new number.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Idk anything about iPhones but this whole "maybe from" thing sounds dreadfully unprofessional.

new topics

top topics

join