It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming Soon: Immortality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Author and inventor Ray Kurzweil think that immortality is in our future, he has written a book on the subject. The famed inventor and computer scientist thinks that immortality is only 20 years away from being reality.

AP) Ray Kurzweil doesn't tailgate. A man who plans to live forever doesn't take chances with his health on the highway, or anywhere else.

As part of his daily routine, Kurzweil ingests 250 supplements, eight to 10 glasses of alkaline water and 10 cups of green tea. He also periodically tracks 40 to 50 fitness indicators, down to his "tactile sensitivity." Adjustments are made as needed.

www.cbsnews.com...

There are two sides to this story. When life expectancy goes up so does health cost and issues. Immortality is only good if your health is good. What happens when we all live longer, but that life quality goes down. How many of us really want to live forever?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I do think this Kurzweil geezer has some interesting theorys but I think he is nutter at the same time and seems abit far fetched at times. I think he's trying to be the bill gates of AI, Nanotech or future technology! Try this site:-

www.kurzweilai.net...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Some interesting stuff, there. I'm not entirely sure about his supplementation (dear heavens...it'd take you an HOUR to swallow all those supplements!) but with better nutrition and all, we do live longer.

One key (so difficult in today's world) is exercise. I have a hard time making time for it.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
With the advances in genetic I'm sure,in our life time, we will know how to make an immortal baby.
However, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
With the ability that viruses possess, and the advances in genetics we've made, put the two together..

We can insert the gene for telemorase inhibition into a living person, and effectively extend their life by insuring proper replication of DNA. Even radiation damage can be repaired, as long as the person gets plenty of rest.

The future is definitely now when it comes to immortality. I know I always thought I was going to live forever. Now it appears I may have been right.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I bet he gets hit by a bus. God likes that kind of irony.

Immortality is completely impractical. If you think the row over abortion is hot now what would it be like if we we were capable of immortality? How would we sustain a manageable population? Forced abortion or sterilisation, selective euthanasia? And what would give us the right to stay here over those who haven't been born yet? Evolution would grind to halt. Not to mention being immortal would probably eventually drive you insane and you'd end up commiting sucide anyway. I could see a rich elite of immortals, but not the masses.

I despise the idea.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Some interesting stuff, there. I'm not entirely sure about his supplementation (dear heavens...it'd take you an HOUR to swallow all those supplements!)

It's easier practicing mind over matter exercises.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Immortality is something that shouldnt be given to anyone...prolonged life yes...Or reincarnation Yes...these two are ok because, we are still dying and keepin the population down.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's already here. Our cells were designed to die. They replicate forever if we turn of that gene. Cancer is a cell that keeps replicating.

www.techreview.com...

nutritionreallyworks.com...

Cancer is a cell with no split limit. If all our cells were like that but controlled we could live indefinitly.

SIde note: I think cancer is the human race trying to evolve.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by IXRAZORXI321]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
i agree with kegs on that one, a bus will end it all
. that man wont live past 120. come on, who would want to anyway; pure misery at its finest. imagine u lived forever and you couldnt retire, you would have to work for eternity. world's end is near anyway
lets see if he survives that. paz.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Son of the lost maji]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by racos
Immortality is something that shouldnt be given to anyone...prolonged life yes...Or reincarnation Yes...these two are ok because, we are still dying and keepin the population down.

So much LIFE liberty and the persut of happiness.

Who is anyone to say how long someone else may live?

As long as you can provide for your own life, you should be free to indulge in it.

As far as my thoughts on immortality....

I would like to live FAR beyond peoples normal life expectincy. I could live out my physical dreams now, and then do all of the learning I want later.

Imagine all you could do!

However, I feel that death in it's self is an experience of life, as wierd as that may sound. It is the ultimate of life - you will truelly find out what life means then.

If there is an afterlife, well then you graduate to a higher form. If not, with such a long life, you can rest assured you did all that you wanted, and have absolutely no regret in dying.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Even if scientists were able to prolong life indefinatly, or close thereto, would knowledge of existance of such a revolutionary advancement be released to the public? Would any government allow its population to exceed its resources? I think not. So not only is scientific proficiency a factor but also the consequences of its results, along with the chosen means of governments to deal with such. (imo)

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Scientist found out recently like a couple of years ago, that once you reach a certain age, really really old age, your body stop aging, ill find a link later, but thats what it said, but even if you stop aging, you would still look old, and you still are vulnerable to dieases.

new topics

top topics

join